When we die

Oct 27, 2012
My wife was talking about her mom the other day and mention that when she dies (her mom) she wants certain soft and silky materials inside the casket to make her comfortable. Does this seem ridiculous to anybody else? I could understand wanting to bury a loved one in a nice casket with a nice arrangement of flowers and whatnot. But wanting it for yourself so you feel comfortable? Okay, first of all, you're dead. You're not going to have the brain functionality to give two shits what you're buried in. And second, did she think that maybe a couple of people might be upset that she died rather than worry about her own damn comfort when she's dead? I can't wrap my head around this. If someone else feels this way, please explain to me why it would be necessary.

My wife was talking about her mom the other day and mention that when she dies (her mom) she wants certain soft and silky materials inside the casket to make her comfortable. Does this seem ridiculous to anybody else? I could understand wanting to bury a loved one in a nice casket with a nice arrangement of flowers and whatnot. But wanting it for yourself so you feel comfortable? Okay, first of all, you're dead. You're not going to have the brain functionality to give two shits what you're buried in. And second, did she think that maybe a couple of people might be upset that she died rather than worry about her own damn comfort when she's dead? I can't wrap my head around this. If someone else feels this way, please explain to me why it would be necessary.

Why don't you just bury her in a cardboard box seeing she is dead and won't know any different?

This is her final resting place, and she wants it to be perfect. Nothing wrong with that.

Rational people are not always rational. Being sentimental is a human trait, not a fault. Give your wife what she asked for. Unless you think she doesn't deserve it.

Some people cannot wrap their heads about the concept of dead?

Not, at least, when referring to themselves.

The fault is partly language. By saying someone is dead, it infers a state of being. Dead is non-being, and classic, 'life' thought processes are not constructed to conceptualize non-concepts.

We have the same problem with describing physics. When we talk about the big bang, it is irresistible to ask, "Yeah, but what existed just before?" Logic dictates a precursor where fact shows no thing. Difficult to 'wrap the brain around' indeed, but mostly due to lack of linguistic and thought flexibility.

I've told my (adult) spawn that when I die they can just have me incinerated, but to use caution where they may dump the ashes. I'm pretty sure all the alcohol and smoking and drugs I've used will make my ashes considered to be "toxic waste". I wouldn't want the EPA to come after them. :D

...and that is why I will be cremated. No fuss, no bother.

end of story.

That's exactly what we've told our kids. Just have us cremated and do everything the cheapest way possible! I also don't like the idea of my body stuck in a casket underground!!!!!!!!!!! But then again, i won't really be there.....

...and that is why I will be cremated. No fuss, no bother.

end of story.

That's exactly what we've told our kids. Just have us cremated and do everything the cheapest way possible! I also don't like the idea of my body stuck in a casket underground!!!!!!!!!!! But then again, i won't really be there.....

Absolutely! That is the only way that makes sense to me!

Oof. I'll never be involved with another cremation. It was my brother's wishes, so we got it done.

When I went to pick up his "ashes", the weight of the box shocked me. There's some heft to it.
And those ashes? Little bits of bone and gritty stuff.

Then his friend in Texas calls me "oh please send some to us so we can place them here" (he lived in TX for a time). Then his friend in Colorado calls- "oh please..."

And we wanted some placed at the graves of our parents- different cemetaries. And also at our place of business.

So there I was, scooping my brother's remains into little zip-loc baggies to be mailed scattered and buried. No thanks. Not again.

Ah- funny story. I knew an old guy who told me about cremating his wife, then going on a cruise so he could toss her remains into the ocean. He said "it never occured to me that the box would float".

I couldn't help myself I just busted out laughing.

Well, I respect your opinion.

I prefer the idea of my body being cremated and be done with it,instead of the slow decomposition and ugliness of it all!

Ah- funny story. I knew an old guy who told me about cremating his wife, then going on a cruise so he could toss her remains into the ocean. He said "it never occured to me that the box would float".

I couldn't help myself I just busted out laughing.
Oh so many years ago, when my sister died, we had her cremated and set sail to spread her ashes in the Pacific ocean. So, we are a mile offshore and the boat captain drops the sail and lets the boat drift as my dad opens the box leans over the edge of the sailboat and starts dumping the ashes and small bits of bones into the water. Suddenly a strong gust of wind hits and it blows a bunch of the lighter ash back into the boat. Bits of her ashes are scattered about on the boat, and on people. Two people (one guy and one woman) even have some her ashes end up in their mouth. The guy vomits, right there and then.
It's my sister, and it is a solemn occasion. I almost gave myself a hernia holding back my laughter.

Isn't there a Vodka named skye?

I don't know...:tongue: is there??

Close...

skyy.jpg

When I die I want a bottle of Jack Daniels, a carton of Marlboro cigarettes and a deck of playing cards put inside of my coffin. Oh... also a photo of my lovely wife.

Forum List

Back