When was the First time you heard or used the word "******"??

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Sunni Man, May 4, 2012.

1. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    I grew up in the segregated south.

A black was referred to as a ******; sometimes coon or jig-a boo; but ****** was the most common term.

In the summer my family would drive up north to visit my grandmother.

One day I was playing her front yard. I was around 8 or 9 years old.

As I was playing; I noticed two black boys about my same age riding down the sidewalk on their bikes.

They appeared to be twins; and both were riding identical red bicycles, and dressed exactly the same with white T-shirts, blue jeans, and white US Keds tennis shoes.

Startled at the sight, I blurted out, "What are you ******* doing here"?

Both of the black boys slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop. Then one of the black boys dismounted and let his bike fall to the ground.

He walked straight towards me; made a fist, and punched me in the face.

I fell backwards on the grass.

As I started to stand up. Both of the black kids were already on their bikes and peddling down the sidewalk.

I was in a complete state of shock and puzzlement as to what had just taken place..

And remember thinking to myself, "Why did he do that"?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    It was like in fourth grade, I went to a mostly white elementary school in Indiana at the time, there was only 2 other Black kids in the school besides me, some kid called me a ****** but I didn't know what it meant at the time, I had to ask my mom.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,896
    dont remember the first time...last time ....wednesday.....

"i would rather vote for a mormon than a ******" spoke by a 78 yr old conservative christiam republican

4. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Yikes. :(

5. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I heard it from my dad's family at a Christmas dinner when I was in elementary school. My dad's side of the family is from the Ozarks, and they're pretty backward. When I asked her about it, my mom told me that it was a term that only ignorant people used, because they didn't know any better. But, my mom had her own racial views, I sat at church one Sunday next to a black kid I knew from school. Afterards, she told me, "Don't ever bring one of those home to me and your dad."

I was kind of stunned, on one level, but not surprised on another, because she always said things about black people...they stole, were lazy, were dirty, etc. When I married my ex, she was quite upset, because he's pretty dark (filipino) and defintely doesn't look white. We didn't speak for a while, about a year, but then, after my daughter was born, she warmed up somewhat, though she never did stop hating my ex.

The last time I heard the term was from one of my neighbors at a football game this fall. A couple with whom we've been friends for quite a while said he would never let his daughter "date a ******." My husband and I just sat there in stunned disbelief. Then, I pointed out the darkest kid on the field, and told him that my daughter had dated him her sophomore year for about a month (true story), and that he was a really nice kid. I added that he'd be lucky if a kid that nice and smart wanted to date his daughter (he's the class president, a stellar athlete, gets good grades, and is an amazing kid all around)....I think he's going to a 1A school on an athletic/academic scholarship.

Then we turned around and watched the game, and never discussed the subject again with them, though I've never forgotten what he said. In fact, every time I see him, I think about it. My husband and I talked about it afterwards, too. It made us see him as...pretty low class, I guess is the proper term for it.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,896
    i have never dated anyone outside of my race....i was taught not to do that....

the first time my son flirted with a girl outside his race....i nearly panicked...i found it so foreign to me....its hard to pass on prejudices

7. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    What parents like that don't get is the more you tell your child not to date Blacks they get curious about it and want to see for themselves, I met plenty of white girls in the Military whos parents told them to stay away from the brothers, but once they got out on their own they were curious about us and wanted to know.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    My Grandma called Brazil nuts "****** toes".

9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    So did my parents. :cool:

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I grew up in southeastern Virginia and in North Carolina. Heard the term all my life. I hear it more from people like Chris Rock than I do from anywhere else these day.