When was the First time you heard or used the word "******"??

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
I grew up in the segregated south.

A black was referred to as a ******; sometimes coon or jig-a boo; but ****** was the most common term.

In the summer my family would drive up north to visit my grandmother.

One day I was playing her front yard. I was around 8 or 9 years old.

As I was playing; I noticed two black boys about my same age riding down the sidewalk on their bikes.

They appeared to be twins; and both were riding identical red bicycles, and dressed exactly the same with white T-shirts, blue jeans, and white US Keds tennis shoes.

Startled at the sight, I blurted out, "What are you ******* doing here"?

Both of the black boys slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop. Then one of the black boys dismounted and let his bike fall to the ground.

He walked straight towards me; made a fist, and punched me in the face.

I fell backwards on the grass.

As I started to stand up. Both of the black kids were already on their bikes and peddling down the sidewalk.

I was in a complete state of shock and puzzlement as to what had just taken place..

And remember thinking to myself, "Why did he do that"?

It was like in fourth grade, I went to a mostly white elementary school in Indiana at the time, there was only 2 other Black kids in the school besides me, some kid called me a ****** but I didn't know what it meant at the time, I had to ask my mom.

dont remember the first time...last time ....wednesday.....

"i would rather vote for a mormon than a ******" spoke by a 78 yr old conservative christiam republican

I heard it from my dad's family at a Christmas dinner when I was in elementary school. My dad's side of the family is from the Ozarks, and they're pretty backward. When I asked her about it, my mom told me that it was a term that only ignorant people used, because they didn't know any better. But, my mom had her own racial views, I sat at church one Sunday next to a black kid I knew from school. Afterards, she told me, "Don't ever bring one of those home to me and your dad."

I was kind of stunned, on one level, but not surprised on another, because she always said things about black people...they stole, were lazy, were dirty, etc. When I married my ex, she was quite upset, because he's pretty dark (filipino) and defintely doesn't look white. We didn't speak for a while, about a year, but then, after my daughter was born, she warmed up somewhat, though she never did stop hating my ex.

The last time I heard the term was from one of my neighbors at a football game this fall. A couple with whom we've been friends for quite a while said he would never let his daughter "date a ******." My husband and I just sat there in stunned disbelief. Then, I pointed out the darkest kid on the field, and told him that my daughter had dated him her sophomore year for about a month (true story), and that he was a really nice kid. I added that he'd be lucky if a kid that nice and smart wanted to date his daughter (he's the class president, a stellar athlete, gets good grades, and is an amazing kid all around)....I think he's going to a 1A school on an athletic/academic scholarship.

Then we turned around and watched the game, and never discussed the subject again with them, though I've never forgotten what he said. In fact, every time I see him, I think about it. My husband and I talked about it afterwards, too. It made us see him as...pretty low class, I guess is the proper term for it.

Last edited:
i have never dated anyone outside of my race....i was taught not to do that....

the first time my son flirted with a girl outside his race....i nearly panicked...i found it so foreign to me....its hard to pass on prejudices

I heard it from my dad's family at a Christmas dinner when I was in elementary school. My dad's side of the family is from the Ozarks, and they're pretty backward. When I asked her about it, my mom told me that it was a term that only ignorant people used, because they didn't know any better. But, my mom had her own racial views, I sat at church one Sunday next to a black kid I knew from school. Afterards, she told me, "Don't ever bring one of those home to me and your dad."

I was kind of stunned, on one level, but not surprised on another, because she always said things about black people...they stole, were lazy, were dirty, etc. When I married my ex, she was quite upset, because he's pretty dark (filipino) and defintely doesn't look white. We didn't speak for a while, about a year, but then, after my daughter was born, she warmed up somewhat, though she never did stop hating my ex.

The last time I heard the term was from one of my neighbors at a football game this fall. A couple with whom we've been friends for quite a while said he would never let his daughter "date a ******." My husband and I just sat there in stunned disbelief. Then, I pointed out the darkest kid on the field, and told him that my daughter had dated him her sophomore year for about a month (true story), and that he was a really nice kid. I added that he'd be lucky if a kid that nice and smart wanted to date his daughter (he's the class president, a stellar athlete, gets good grades, and is an amazing kid all around)....I think he's going to a 1A school on an athletic/academic scholarship.

Then we turned around and watched the game, and never discussed the subject again with them, though I've never forgotten what he said. In fact, every time I see him, I think about it. My husband and I talked about it afterwards, too. It made us see him as...pretty low class, I guess is the proper term for it.

What parents like that don't get is the more you tell your child not to date Blacks they get curious about it and want to see for themselves, I met plenty of white girls in the Military whos parents told them to stay away from the brothers, but once they got out on their own they were curious about us and wanted to know.

I grew up in southeastern Virginia and in North Carolina. Heard the term all my life. I hear it more from people like Chris Rock than I do from anywhere else these day.

The first time I heard the word was from the mouth of my best grade school friend at the time, Al Fitzpatrick, an African American. He called another Black friend a ******. I had to ask him to explain it. Up until that point I had only ever heard the term 'colored' to describe Black folks.

The first time I heard/read the word from a white man was Democrat President Lyndon B Johnson:

“Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.”

and this doozie,

"I'll have those ******* voting Democratic for the next 200 years."

Last edited:
dont remember the first time...last time ....wednesday.....

"i would rather vote for a mormon than a ******" spoke by a 78 yr old conservative christiam republican

I personally have NEVER heard a 'christian' use that vile word.... thats no lie.

The fact that you choose to CLAIM he is a "conservative christiam republican" shows your true intent Bones and its quite disappointing.
Let me guess, you go around asking folks if they are christians, conservatives or republicans alot??? If so, you need a life Dear.
I swear I am not trying to pick a fight with ya, I just find it curious why you had to say he was all three of the people you tend to disagree with politically.

The only folks I have EVER heard use that vile word are folks who are not what I would consider nice people and certainly not Godly people.

My grandpa used the word all the time when he was alive. He lived in New Orleans and was a life long Democrat and certainly not a Godly man.

However, I do hear black folks use it alot. Guess they can if they want to, but it makes me wonder why they do it.

Me... I have never used it. I think it is a very repulsive word.

Grew up hearing the term "****** rigged" for anything that was assembled sloppy or incorrectly put together.

Guys at my work in the maintenance shop don't use that term anymore.

But sometimes they will use the PC version, "African engineering".

as a toddler, lived in SC and VA and went to segerated school. First time that I went to school with a black person was 5th Grade 1972

A black was referred to as a ******; sometimes coon or jig-a boo; but ****** was the most common term.

As I was playing; I noticed two black boys about my same age riding down the sidewalk on their bikes.

They appeared to be twins; and both were riding identical red bicycles, and dressed exactly the same with white T-shirts, blue jeans, and white US Keds tennis shoes.

Both of the black boys slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop. Then one of the black boys dismounted and let his bike fall to the ground.

As I started to stand up. Both of the black kids were already on their bikes and peddling down the sidewalk.

I was in a complete state of shock and puzzlement as to what had just taken place..

you got knocked the fuck out

you got knocked the fuck out
I was surprised more than anything. I didn't have a black eye or bloody nose.

Just absolutely puzzled as to what had just happened; and why did he hit me?

After all; weren't they *******? And why where they freely roaming a white neighborhood?

It remained a great mystery to me for several more years.

Last edited:
I went to High School in the South Bronx in 1973 so I heard the word at least daily

Grew up hearing the term "****** rigged" for anything that was assembled sloppy or incorrectly put together.

Actually the African engineers I have met were quite smart and good. :dunno:

I too grew up in the segregated South...

born and raised in Cajun Country (South Louisiana)... sort of a fluke that I ended up in Cajun Country... both my mom and dad were from Redneck Country (North Louisiana) and nearly all lines of their families descended from the first Scots-Irish and English families that settled the area along the river between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg... and, yeah, some of those families were slave-holders before the war...

I have no doubt I must have heard people use the term “******” when I was little, but I don’t remember people using the term... my parents and the people around me never used the term, and I never heard my grandparents or other relatives who lived in Redneck Country use it either... they’d refer to black people as “coloreds” (as in “that colored fella who lives down the road” or “that colored lady who sells us eggs”), and I never heard any of ‘em use the term “colored” in a disparaging way...

I do remember hearing some other folks using the term “nigra” (pronounced “NIG-ra”), and I remember how mean and ugly it sounded they way they said it...

As I said, I have no doubt I heard people use the term “******” when I was little, but those instances didn’t stick in my mind... I never heard it used in a mean and ugly way like the way I’d heard some folks say the word “nigra”...

and I do well remember, like it was yesterday, the first time I heard the term “******” used in a mean and ugly way... it was in the mid-60’s, at the beginning of desegregation... I was probably about 13 at the time... I was visiting my grandparents, who’d arranged for me to go horseback riding on a nearby farm... I think it was maybe the first time I’d ever ridden a horse... but that’s not what stuck in my mind... what did stick in my mind way the way the farmer’s wife turned to me as we were riding and asked: “So, Billy... you got any of them ******* in your school...?”

Actually the African engineers I have met were quite smart and good. :dunno:
I am sure they were referring to African American standards of quality.

Because I doubt they realize there are actually black people in Africa who have engineering degrees. :cool:

Forum List

Back