When Tuition is INSANELY HIGH, UNAFFORDABLE, why is the conversation...

One of my grand kids is in the 6th grade and they're doing simultaneous linear equations. When I was in the 6th grade, I never heard of Algebra. Today a quarter millions kids are taking calculus in high school. When I was in high school, no one took calculus because it wasn't offered. Kids, at least those that are college bound are working harder in school. Competition to get into the good 4 year schools was never greater.

Wait, now we're talking about high school? Need a road map to follow this conversation. High achieving kids have been taking pre-calc and calculus for years and years in high school.

It seems you are drifting into demographics rather than academics.
When I was in school in the 50's, there was no calculus being taught in high school, at least not the one I attended. When I say calculus, I'm talking about calculus not pre-calculus.

They've been pushing the Mathematics down the curriculum as far as possible for a while now. When I was in high school, in the 90's, I was able to take Calculus and Statistics.

Truth is though, now I'm teaching at the college level I'd almost wish they didn't teach Calculus at the high school level. I get so many kids who tell me they "know" Calculus and can barely do algebra.

Her tuition and fees are about $3900 per semester. Her campus housing is $3150 per semester which is highway robbery (the housing).
Including everything it is costing roughly $16,000 per year. It is a Bachelor's degree in Science. And that is the rub. All BS degrees require 3 years of advanced math. Which would make sense in many science applications...but what amounts to a specialized nursing degree?

Well, she's attempting to obtain a Bachelors degree. If she only wanted to learn the parts related to respiratory therapy she should go to a trade school that focuses solely on that. Part of the purpose of a bachelor's degree is exposure to a range of knowledge. A bachelor's of Science will require...science. Statistics and math are the bread and butter of science.

She is not attempting, she is succeeding very well. She made the Dean's list the last two years.
There is no "trade school" for respiratory therapy that I know of...it is a BS degree.
I have no argument about heavy mathematic requirements for most science degrees. But then - this doesn't really fit that does it? The only reason I can think of is that respiratory therapy is a critical care position...these folks save people's lives on a regular basis so weeding out folks could be a reason. Having said that however - wouldn't you think heavier courses in anatomy and physiology would be there rather than mathematics? What you don't see here is what the High School level requirements were. Chemistry. She took that already. She said it is nearly identical to what she is taking now. So why accept the AP Chemistry credits in high school and then require it again on the course list?

It's great to hear she's doing so well. Congrats to you and your daughter. There are programs for respiratory therapy certifications that don't require a BS, but they probably lead to a lower certification and much lower pay levels.

As to what, exactly, a Respiratory Therapist should have to study - I honestly have no earthly idea. Don't know a thing about it. I can only speak to the broader purpose of a BS, which will provide her with a range of skills beyond doing respiratory therapy. A BS in any topic will help her obtain jobs in a wide range of fields specifically because it requires a wide range of course work. Your daughter seems set in exactly what she wants to do, but a BS will give her broader opportunities to change her mind later in life.

Now, is that worth all the money? I don't know. That's between you and your daughter. I'm just offering a different perspective - and it sounds like your daughter is doing quite well without my two cents!

Forum List

Back