When the Sahara was green...

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Because nobody asked for it, yet another story to pass the time and maybe teach a bit of history with..

A caravan of Tuareg nomads silently led their camels into a camping ground on a stoney plateau in the Sahara. With them was a young German explorer, Heinrich Barth, on his way to lake Chad.

Glancing around at the steep sandstone cliffs that hemmed them in, Barth saw with a start that they were covered with remarkable carvings of bulls, buffalos, ostriches, and people. The lines were incised in the rock with great firmness, and yet the figures were light and graceful. Struck by the absence of camels in the scenes, Barth noted that is was evidence of a state of life very different from what he saw around him.

Ancient art gallery

What Barth had discovered that day in 1850 was part of an art gallery 8,000 years old: the record of peoples, long forgotten, who inhabited the Tassili plateau and neighboring foothills in the central Sahara when it was a green and fertile region.

It was not until 1933 however, that Tassili rock art was brought to the world's attention by a young French officer, Lt. Charles Brenans. Wandering amidst the Tassili's desolate hills and gorges, he came upon miles of engravings-and magnificent paintings. Glowing softly in ochre,violet, russet, and warm white were scenes of simple family life, of hunting parties, of strange gods, and religious rites. Painted warriors carrying round shields and lances race across the walls in chariots. Peaceful herdsman wearing aprons and Egyptian style headgear drive cattle with long, curved horns.

Some of the birds and animals depicted are long extinct. Others-the elephant, the rhinoceros, the giraffe, and the ostrich-can now only be found in the grassy plains 1,000 or more miles to the south.

Expedition organized

The French explorer and ethnologist Henri Lhote were among those who were inspired by the sketches maybe by Bresnans, and he ruched off to find Tassilli.

Several years later Lhote, with the backing of the French scientific and government agencies, assembled a team of artists and photographers to return to the plateau. By 1957 Lhote's team had taken back to Paris 16,000 square feet of copies and photographs of the paintings.

Preserved in the dry dessert air were records of several ages. The oldest scenes showed a dark, possible negroid people, hunting giraffes, rhinos, and elephants with bows and arrows and lances. There are enormous half human figures, possible gods, painted a spectral white.

One, 19 foot high, had a head like a turtle and strangely positioned eyes, very much like those in a Picasso painting.

Later pictures show far more lifelike figures. Rounded, well muscled legs, decorative tribal scars, belts, anklets, and rings are depicted.

Banquet scenes

There are banquet scenes, wedding ceremonies, a woman pounding grain for flour, a hut being built, a family with a pet dog, children asleep under an animal skin blanket, and other domestic scenes.

Between 5,000 and 4,000 BC it seems this people were gradually supplanted by a paler, copper-skinned race. These invaders added their own portraits to the gallery, in hunting scenes showing sheep, giraffes, and antelopes.

Still later paintings-from the second millennium BC-depict soldiers wearing bell shaped tunics and riding in horse drawn chariots. One guess is that they are the "People of the Sea" mentioned in ancient Egyptian records, who tried to invade Egypt from Crete or Asia Minor (They may have been the Atlantians, which some historians believe to be Minoan Crete).

It is possible that, having been defeated, they settled in Libya and roamed as far west as the Tassilli plateau.

A dying land

As the watercourses dried up, the population of Tassilli dwindled, and little was added to the wall art. Finally, about 1,000 BC, the people yielded to the encroaching dessert and moved away.

Then there was silence. The dessert dust blows through the abandoned site, and for thousands of years, as Empires rise and fall in other parts of the world, the brilliant portraits of vanished races stare emptily from the sun-blasted rocks of Tassilli-n-Ajjer.

Some views of Tassilli

img_tassili.jpg

bpasteurs4.JPG

painting11-th.jpg

tf7.jpg

hg_d_tass_d1.jpg

Can you imagine all of the desert being a massive grassland, a veldt as far as the eye can see?

It must have been wonderous to see.

Can you imagine all of the desert being a massive grassland, a veldt as far as the eye can see?

It must have been wonderous to see.

It would have been beautiful, but nature is a cruel bitch and likes to change things all the time. Have you seen what they theorized Cairo to have looked like along the Nile? When the oasis was fertile and full of life.

You mentioning asimov in that other thread reminded me of an amzing book by Charles pelligrino (who was a mentored by asimov) called 'Return to Sodom and Gomorrah, bible stories from archaeologists'.

The book (wriiten by an agnostic) is an attempt to find many of the 'biblical' historical sites from the old testiment, Pelligrino visted quite a few, and spices the work with a lot of info about the first digs in Iraq (that inolved Larence of Arabia no less!)

Dr P describes many of these ancient places as they may have looked to the people of the bible, including some brilliant theories and detective work on exodus and other major events.

I avoid books that try to force connections between myth and fact, they usually have to alter one or the other and I prefer mine separate. I do read archaeological reports sometimes though, when they focus on Egypt, the ancient culture there has always been a passion of mine. I even learned the Ancient Egyptian language so I could read the works from photographs instead of just taking the mistranslations that are published in the US, much of the US works on the subject are inaccurate when it comes to Ancient Egypt until recently. It wasn't until they started collaborating with those who spoke Arabic that they finally figured out the most probable pronunciations of the ancient language.

The book doesn't force anything, in fact it does the opposite, as it points out how vague and often inaccurate the old testiment is as far as locations go.

Pelligrino is a facsinating guy, it was his theories on DNA that inspired 'jurrasic park,' he is fact a rocket scientist who helped design a saturn probe, the guy was even part of the group that found Titanic.

The book doesn't force anything, in fact it does the opposite, as it points out how vague and often inaccurate the old testiment is as far as locations go.

Pelligrino is a facsinating guy, it was his theories on DNA that inspired 'jurrasic park,' he is fact a rocket scientist who helped design a saturn probe, the guy was even part of the group that found Titanic.

Hmm .. maybe I'll check it out sometime. Just most often than not they do try to force the connections, even though in reality they don't need to. I just don't see the need to justify anyones beliefs really, that's why when they try to correlate the two it annoys me.

That movie just rocked, even the sequels were good (a rare occurrence).

What are you two babbling about, Change is ALWAYS bad, just ask the Global Warming retards. Err wait, I mean change only happens when man makes it happen, ya that is what I meant, that is after all what the Global warming dip shits are claiming. So which empire caused the sand to rise? And which caused the Nile to go to seed?

What are you two babbling about, Change is ALWAYS bad, just ask the Global Warming retards. Err wait, I mean change only happens when man makes it happen, ya that is what I meant, that is after all what the Global warming dip shits are claiming. So which empire caused the sand to rise? And which caused the Nile to go to seed?

change is constant but we can still gripe about it...calvin to hobbs.....

do you ever just wake up in a good mood there sgt? just glad to be above ground?

you act like you are the only with that understands the concept of global weather changes etc....and cycles and all that

Listening to the MORONS on this board that are adherents of the "we are doomed by man made global warming" it sure SEEMS like I am one of the few that understand how cycles work and that a paltry 30 year record ( ice levels in Antarctica for example) is insignificant or that even a 100 year record of temperatures are just as insignificant. Especially when that record is far from scientific for most of that 100 years.

Listening to the MORONS on this board that are adherents of the "we are doomed by man made global warming" it sure SEEMS like I am one of the few that understand how cycles work and that a paltry 30 year record ( ice levels in Antarctica for example) is insignificant or that even a 100 year record of temperatures are just as insignificant. Especially when that record is far from scientific for most of that 100 years.

Sure, Sarge. You understand the science concerning climatology, and little pink pigs fly.

There have been major and rapid warmings in the past without man's help, and they created periods of extinction. What you are stating, Sarge, is that because we die of pneumonia, we cannot be killed by a bullet.

The science concerning the rapid warming that we are experiancing is well understood, and the overwhelming consensus of scientists, worldwide, is that we are the major driving force behind the increase in the GHGs that is causing to warming. You don't like the idea? Then prove, with real science, that it is not happening.

Just ten years ago, you people were denying that there was any warming at all. When it became apperrant to all that there was, now you state that it is all natural. You were wrong then, you are wrong now.

What the hell! We are talking about ancient history and how some places were different back in the past and someone has to being "global warming" crap here? I expected the environuts to try that shit, but come on. Seriously, let's try a little bit more to stay on topic.

Back to the topic.

Interesting piece X.

I would love it if you do a weekly "history lesson" on here. I'm sure others would too.

I have a bunch of topics, what would you like to hear about?

Great hoaxes?

Ancient peoples?

WWII?

I have a good one I think everyone would like, I'll post it next time.

I have a bunch of topics, what would you like to hear about?

Great hoaxes?

Ancient peoples?

WWII?

I have a good one I think everyone would like, I'll post it next time.

Oh, I pick WWII! I am so fascinated about that time, used to read all I could about it, be it history, or even novels set during the war.

The landscape changes so dramaticly it would be hard to say what was there unless you see evidence like this or an excavation. Even then there is so much guess work that goes into figuring out the parts and pieces that are still unseen.

At the mine site we excavated a shear cliff well over thirty feet that had slumped off for at least thirty years. We also excavated beneath that cliff into the ground a good thity feet. And above the cliff on the hill. We took the hill down fifteen in places.

In that we could see the layers that had been built over the years. We saw evidence of three major floods that came through this area. It was also obvious that the glaciers had shoved much of the material we were after into verticals both above the cliff and below the cliff. In the first and second layers was organic (rotten leaves) matter a few inches thick.

We had a good rain that washed a three foot gully down the face of the cliff at one point. I had to check it out so I climb through it to the top. I found a petrified shark's teeth in a round rock about the size of my fist. Both upper and lower teeth were frozen in time into the rock.

A few years later I was walking up the hillside where we had excavated heavily after a rain. I found an arrowhead.

On the floor of the pit we reached a spot that was green algea on top of blue clay.

Last edited:
Things like that amaze me, moutains were once the bottom of seas, deserts were once grasslands and so on.

Forum List

Back