When The Oligarchs Finally Ban all Cash, What Will be the Black Market Currency?

Which of these commodities would you be willing to trade for in a post cash world?

• Total voters
upload_2017-2-11_10-45-38.jpeg

Hard baking chocolate (the way they use to make it for bakeries) and coffee beans. Both will keep forever.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I've heard India banned the two largest rupee notes. After that it seems they have a bad situation over there: people with health and food problems, peasants that can't sell their harvest...a real mess!
Imagine what would happen if they ban all cash without any exception...
I hope the European Union won't take the same decision :eek-52:
Hitler and his crew did not care what happened to the people. It was later in their game that some of them realized they were also subject to the tyrannical moods of the beast they had assisted. Stalin did not have any regard for the people either.

Even if one is not a Believer....one has to be amazed that whomever wrote the Bible those thousands of years ago, would predict in Prophesy a cashless society, where we needed a 'number' in order to buy and sell?

Saint John the Apostle wrote the passages you refer to in the Book of Revelations.

If I recall correctly, he had worked in salt mines under penal sentence and observed the Romans trade there. Tattooing was a common art for Romans and it isnt much of a leap for him to put this together as a means for controlling trade.

I personally think John was inspired by God, but I think God works through natural providential means but we dont understand the mechanism of it and imagine it a violation of God's laws somehow, as though God were lawless.

Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things (utensils and throw away arrow heads for small game comes immediately to mind.)
wow!! how interesting! I need to read up on that...!

Not the way I saw it done, but same concept:

I've cooked canned food in my wood stove using fireplace tongs - and legit needed to; we lost power for 11 days one winter. The wood stove heats the whole house easily, the second detached garage froze though (we lost all our paint heh) We had to use snow to flush the toilets and no showers - that was the worst part of it...

Other things I might trade for:
Batteries - I can make the solar panels, turbines, etc. to collect, but I can't make the batteries to hold the juice.
Fabric - No clue how to make fabric and I presume I'd run out eventually.
Animal Hide - This ones a maybe. My husband knows how to skin and tan hide but what would the laws be regarding hunting them? As it stands now we'd need a license, what the hell do you "trade" the government for a hunting license? heh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- probably the best thing to have is privately owned land , skills , and self sufficient attitude and skills . Course , everything can be legally taken away one way or the other by government and its agents . Aguy in Oregon went to court and then jail for collecting rainwater on his own land .

True that. I suppose I already have land so it doesn't occur to me that city folks would basically be fucked. I live in Alaska, we have pretty much everything necessary for long term survival right out the door. Hell if it got real bad in the city I've got a hunting cabin on 10 acres way north that's basically inaccessible but by heli drop or on foot (and the latter would be rough.)

I might add Dog to my list; in times like that a dog might be worth it's weight for protection, hunting assistance, portable emergency food source, etc. I've made thread out of husky under fur, they also make good blankets (alive or dead). I'd consider it a wise investment.

You'd eat yer DOG? *cries*

I've cooked canned food in my wood stove using fireplace tongs - and legit needed to; we lost power for 11 days one winter. The wood stove heats the whole house easily, the second detached garage froze though (we lost all our paint heh) We had to use snow to flush the toilets and no showers - that was the worst part of it...

Other things I might trade for:
Batteries - I can make the solar panels, turbines, etc. to collect, but I can't make the batteries to hold the juice.
Fabric - No clue how to make fabric and I presume I'd run out eventually.
Animal Hide - This ones a maybe. My husband knows how to skin and tan hide but what would the laws be regarding hunting them? As it stands now we'd need a license, what the hell do you "trade" the government for a hunting license? heh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- probably the best thing to have is privately owned land , skills , and self sufficient attitude and skills . Course , everything can be legally taken away one way or the other by government and its agents . Aguy in Oregon went to court and then jail for collecting rainwater on his own land .

True that. I suppose I already have land so it doesn't occur to me that city folks would basically be fucked. I live in Alaska, we have pretty much everything necessary for long term survival right out the door. Hell if it got real bad in the city I've got a hunting cabin on 10 acres way north that's basically inaccessible but by heli drop or on foot (and the latter would be rough.)

I might add Dog to my list; in times like that a dog might be worth it's weight for protection, hunting assistance, portable emergency food source, etc. I've made thread out of husky under fur, they also make good blankets (alive or dead). I'd consider it a wise investment.

You'd eat yer DOG? *cries*

When the choice is between me and the dog, yes. The dog would just the same attack me to eat in a dire situation no doubt so we'd be on equal terms.

We do have a lot of Black bear here,(we are ''the Black bear State") and people eat bear meat....but we have two bears that come here every spring when they wake up...they forage and eat the dried up wild rose hips on the edges of the mowed areas and any dried up apples on the ground, and God forbid, if I have suet in my feeders when they wake up they will haul the whole wood stand away with them....learned that the hard way...so no suet outside once spring hits and they wake up hungry! had one bear that was 2 ft from my kitchen window, he scared the poop out of me, when he saw that I saw him trying to open a small shed door, he just smiled at me....WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CREATURE, and then when we opened the back door to yell at him to shoo him away, he turned, sheepishly smiled again, and then ran like the dickens!

Black_Bear-Hunting-Top-10-48960.jpg

Last edited:
You'd be well served in such situation to kill bears straight off. Harvest the fur and maintain your hunting grounds. In general one kill will keep your 'territory' free for the entire season.

I'd probably immediately form a posse to take out our local male and female grizzly, the couple black bears on this side of the mountain, and our local wolf pack.

Muscles would be a good idea if you're salt mining and fishing the ocean - once you get a supply of "seeds" you can perpetually farm them off a string suspended in pretty shallow water; don't even need a boat to harvest them. Good meat and the shells can be used for all kinds of things (utensils and throw away arrow heads for small game comes immediately to mind.)
wow!! how interesting! I need to read up on that...!

Not the way I saw it done, but same concept:

SO COOL!

Prince Edward island, is not that far from here, all of our friends take at least one vacation there each summer, sometimes two...

We do have a lot of Black bear here,(we are ''the Black bear State") and people eat bear meat....but we have two bears that come here every spring when they wake up...they forage and eat the dried up wild rose hips on the edges of the mowed areas and any dried up apples on the ground, and God forbid, if I have suet in my feeders when they wake up they will haul the whole wood stand away with them....learned that the hard way...so no suet outside once spring hits and they wake up hungry! had one bear that was 2 ft from my kitchen window, he scared the poop out of me, when he saw that I saw him trying to open a small shed door, he just smiled at me....WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CREATURE, and then when we opened the back door to yell at him to shoo him away, he turned, sheepishly smiled again, and then ran like the dickens!
It is amazing to me how urbanized modern Americans interpret animals bearing their teeth as smiling at them.

:D

Yeah... I'm pretty sure a bears smile is him adding you to his menu.

And... I might eat a neighbors dog but I damn sure ain't eatin mine.

The EU is quickly moving to eliminate the use of cash transactions in LEGAL markets. But the black market will substitute some commodity for legal cash so that it can continue to store wealth and trade objects for a standard currency. But what might that commodity be?

Gold is a traditional currency as well as silver and a few other metals, and this traditional use gives governments cover to seize these metals from the public on the pretext of preventing hoarding as FDR did decades ago.

Bit Coin is gaining popularity again, but it will only have so many made and when it completes 'mining' the public will have to deal with minor fragments of coins and the inflation for it would seem to go astronomical. Such mental barriers are very real and have impact on trade of said commodity, even if digital.

There are common commodities that never spoil, are always in demand are durable.
Among them are:
Laundry soap
Alcohol such as Rum, Whiskey, vodka
Toilet paper
Food that is canned or vacuum sealed
Bullets
Fuel

If we were in a post cash apocolyptic world, with technology still available as it is today, which ones would you be willing to trade for?
Well this is easy, if we live in a post-cash world, I'd use whatever the going currency is...which would likely be my debit or credit card...or maybe bitcoins. For something to be recognized as a currency it is going to have to be accepted by a large number of people. If you think a large number of people are going to start carrying around cans of fuel or laundry soap...instead of swiping their easily portable card...you might just be an idiot.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure a bears smile is him adding you to his menu.
And... I might eat a neighbors dog but I damn sure ain't eatin mine.
Yeah, I would have to be on the verge of death by starvation before I would eat my dog.

I have a feeling that our 'modern' concepts of quasi-family ties to pets would quickly fall to the wayside if we were to return to a non-currency lifestyle. I presume we would return to the older concepts that pets are more "tools" to make life easier or safer. Even so, and to clarify, I'd only eat said dog if I was in dire straights myself; they have a bit more value/use when alive, as depending on the breed of course, they are relatively low 'cost' in terms of maintenance. More bang for the buck... or well... not buck... bah, never mind, you know what I mean heh

It is amazing to me how urbanized modern Americans interpret animals bearing their teeth as smiling at them.

:D
he really was smiling....mouth closed, corners curled up a little and the sweetest most endearing, smiling eyes....just the most beautiful face, and the shiniest of shiniest black as black can be, fur....the first year's encounter, was a big big big big big black bear with her 1 cub....maybe less than a year old cub....he was much smaller....

but when the momma was on all fours, the top of her back was as tall as our small car!

And she came the next year when she woke up with her cub much larger....

Then she stopped coming, but her boy has continued to come every year since, and is still getting bigger every year....

it's really cool....the hubby and I have really learned to appreciate the beauty in all of God's creatures, living here has been an eye-opening adventure!

we did buy bear spray after that encounter!

I forgot about this but we could live on snow shoe hares! My cat was bringing home 3 rabbits a day for a while! But mommy kitty, (me) taught baby kitty girl, NOT to kill the rabbits! I suppose she would go back to it, if she was hungry! She only eats the heads...so so so GROSS, the rest of the body could be rabbit stew for Matt and me! :D

Ummm....why not the traditional stores of wealth?
  • Gemstones
  • Gold
  • Silver
Also, given that you're talking about the black market, why might service be the medium of exchange? Black marketers and other traders in illegal "stuff" tend to always need shills and "sacrificial lambs" who wouldn't typically draw the attention of authorities, and who, if they do draw the law's view, are dissociated enough from the black market "principal" that there is no risk of that the felon gets caught without also putting the shill's own loved ones at even greater risk.

Forum List

Back