When the oil boys are in charge

Unless you can show the Oil Companies are making a bigger profit margin then last year or the year before, you can cry about them all you want.Without that they are simply charging what they have been all along in relation to what they pay for oil.

Unless you can show the Oil Companies are making a bigger profit margin then last year or the year before, you can cry about them all you want.Without that they are simply charging what they have been all along in relation to what they pay for oil.

I don't think it's the companies....but they certainly aren't doing without.

6 months ago, oil was roughly 90 dollars a barrel. Can you believe that demand has changed that much to raise it 40+ dollars a barrel? It took years to rise from 50 dollars a barrel to 90 dollars a barrel....we've achieved that in 6 months. This is why there is investigation into price manipulation by "someone." The oil supply is not low....they raise the price every time we have a little storm in the gulf, or everytime something happens overseas...but when they tap into a huge oil well, why doesn't the price go down?? Plants are operating at full capacity....there is no shortage. As far as demand...until I can find some actualy numbers, I can't believe that demand has changed that much in 6 months. Just my opinion. Someone's jackin with prices IMO.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I don't think it's the companies....but they certainly aren't doing without.

6 months ago, oil was roughly 90 dollars a barrel. Can you believe that demand has changed that much to raise it 40+ dollars a barrel? It took years to rise from 50 dollars a barrel to 90 dollars a barrel....we've achieved that in 6 months. This is why there is investigation into price manipulation by "someone." The oil supply is not low....they raise the price every time we have a little storm in the gulf, or everytime something happens overseas...but when they tap into a huge oil well, why doesn't the price go down?? Plants are operating at full capacity....there is no shortage. As far as demand...until I can find some actualy numbers, I can't believe that demand has changed that much in 6 months. Just my opinion. Someone's jackin with prices IMO.

It is speculation and a weak dollar. We have already had links to evidence the supply is in fact more than the demand.

Many plants /refineries are NOT running at full capacity. A lot of our VERY old oil refineries have large sections shut down to be repaired, redesigned, or rebuilt. Not only are the weak dollar, the speculation, and oversees crap causing this, but the environmentalist lobby and the far-left side of the Democratic Party is helping as well.

We do not have enough refineries to continue to grow our supply. The old ones are having trouble expanding. Not to mention the ridiculous EPA standards by region, which drive prices much higher. Lets also not forget the huge unnecessary gas-tax.

A HUGE victory for America occurred Tuesday. South Dakota voted (by a wide margin) to rezone a section of land and build a brand new oil refinery. The FIRST new station in over 30 years. What a shame that we had to wait this long, but better late than never. I believe that this is a shift in the political winds. The Democrats and the environmentalist wackos have fooled people about oil and global warming, however, I see a shift. People are realizing that humans are NOT powerful enough to do any major shifts to this earth. If you think so, then you are flattering yourself WAY to much. I also see that peoples pocketbooks are being effected by these prices, and its time to refine more from places like Canada. I also see us to eventually start drilling new places for oil, and producing our own until a VIABLE solution and alternative can be found.

HERE is the article on SD's new Oil refinery

Last edited:
Just more evidence of the Bush administration's priorities, which are NOT the American people but rather corporate interests. Either that or he's so weak and lame that he's leaving the country in worse shape than when he took it.

This is a purely speculative bubble.

Expect that when it breaks, a whole hell of a lot of industry insiders will quietly become even more obsenely rich than they are already.

In the meanwhile, of course, the neo-cons and their idiotic toadies will demand that we drill ANWR, as those that alone would change the market dynamics.

I would like to point out that both Liberal responses to my post do not address the "meat" of the point that I made.

The will of the people is not the "extreme left" agenda that you claim it to be. Drilling a field and other such places (which is ONLY protected by the super opinionated and super-minority-sized environmentalists) is well within the peoples will, especially when the prices are up and the squeeze is from the Middle East and other domestic factors.

However, just to be clear, I do not think that the Republican Party has done everything right. They have made their share of mistakes, but they are in NO comparison to the Liberals who have put us in this predicament in the first place. Had the environmental lobby let us begin drilling in Alaska, the mountains, and now the Northwestern Plane states, we would be well on our way to further energy independence.

Safe and reliable alternative energy must be found. However, we have to be realistic. It will not solve our problems overnight like the Liberals want you to think. Here is why:

1. A viable solution HAS NOT been found yet.
2. When it is found, it will be MUCH more expensive than oil.
3. There is no way we can mass produce it (right away) to the level of our oil needs and usage.
4. The infrastructure will take decades to fully adapt. There a lot of vehicles, buildings, boat, planes, etc that will have to slowly make the change.

Just to further make the point.......

Last edited:
Just more evidence of the Bush administration's priorities, which are NOT the American people but rather corporate interests. Either that or he's so weak and lame that he's leaving the country in worse shape than when he took it.

LOL, do you Liberals have a clue at all HOW the Government runs and what actual powers a President does and Does NOT have?

Absolutely. Invading the wrong country instead of putting our time and money into getting off the saudi oil tit...that's totally on the president.

It is speculation and a weak dollar. We have already had links to evidence the supply is in fact more than the demand.

That's what I mean...there is investigation into speculation and future price markets....They belief future price projections have been manipulated. I'm not pin-pointing it to one specific problem. But if Supply was more than demand, the price would drop.

And that's exactly why new refineries haven't been built in a while. If you start building alot of refineries, they'll be able to increase the supply of refined gasoline, and the price would drop. I do believe the dollar devaluation also has alot to do with it. However, I don't believe that supply or demand has anything to do with it...directly. THey may be playing the supply/demand economic system to effect prices, but I don't think supply and demand has naturally increased prices. IMO

Safe and reliable alternative energy must be found. However, we have to be realistic. It will not solve our problems overnight like the Liberals want you to think. Here is why:

3. There is no way we can mass produce it (right away) to the level of our oil needs and usage.
4. The infrastructure will take decades to fully adapt. There a lot of vehicles, buildings, boat, planes, etc that will have to slowly make the change.

1. Absolutely right. We are far from the goal of finding alternative energy sources that can supply us the energy that carbon in all its varoius guises gives us. The technology exists (and will get better as it goes on line, too), but the political will and investment isn't there...yet.

2. Pure speculation of course. It will inevitably be expensive bring it online. But if the original source is renewable, I doubt it will be MUCH more expensive than carbon based energy in even the medium run.

3. Again totally correct. We are collectively not prepared to completely change the technbological/economic system we currently have in place. The sooner we start, the better. but there's no easy road to solving this.

4. Yes, that's true. It was true when you said essantially the same thing in #3, as well.

Is this board under the impression that "liberals" whoever they are) are not aware of all those things, or something?

Of course everyone understands that. Conservatives and so called liberals understand that. Anyone who can fog a mirror understands all those things.

Let us get to to the political solving we need to do, then, and stop all this partisan nonsense, shall we?

Sure we need to approach this problem with using every energy source we can find, I agree.

But who is WE? Drilling oil in America doesn't mean the oil is American, does it?

But even if we start ANWR drilling now, that oil won't be online for at least five years and it is NOT a whole helluva lot of oil in comparison to world demand, anyway.

ALL carbon based sources like ANWR are at best stopgap measures, anyway, and not real solutions, thanks to CO2 pollution -- a problem which we also have to consider as we ponder this energy crises, yes?

We need nukes, alternative energy and more carbon based solutions online, ASAP.

1. Absolutely right. We are far from the goal of finding alternative energy sources that can supply us the energy that carbon in all its varoius guises gives us. The technology exists (and will get better as it goes on line, too), but the political will and investment isn't there...yet.

2. Pure speculation of course. It will inevitably be expensive bring it online. But if the original source is renewable, I doubt it will be MUCH more expensive than carbon based energy in even the medium run.

3. Again totally correct. We are collectively not prepared to completely change the technbological/economic system we currently have in place. The sooner we start, the better. but there's no easy road to solving this.

4. Yes, that's true. It was true when you said essantially the same thing in #3, as well.

Is this board under the impression that "liberals" whoever they are) are not aware of all those things, or something?

Of course everyone understands that. Conservatives and so called liberals understand that. Anyone who can fog a mirror understands all those things.

Let us get to to the political solving we need to do, then, and stop all this partisan nonsense, shall we?

Sure we need to approach this problem with using every energy source we can find, I agree.

But who is WE? Drilling oil in America doesn't mean the oil is American, does it?

But even if we start ANWR drilling now, that oil won't be online for at least five years and it is NOT a whole helluva lot of oil in comparison to world demand, anyway.

ALL carbon based sources like ANWR are at best stopgap measures, anyway, and not real solutions, thanks to CO2 pollution -- a problem which we also have to consider as we ponder this energy crises, yes?

We need nukes, alternative energy and more carbon based solutions online, ASAP.

I am in agreement here.

The only think I would like to make a point on is the US oil supply underground.

1. ANWR
2. Rocky and Appalachian Mountains
3. Northwestern Plain States (and other possible plain states)
4. Gulf of Mexico (Mexico and China already drilling there)
5. Not to mention expanding drilling operations where we are already drilling.

I believe we should stop buying from the Middle East and Venezuela. Buying oil from Canada and Mexico will probably never stop because of our relationship with them. We could better control the price with these places being drilled.

1. ANWR
2. Rocky and Appalachian Mountains
3. Northwestern Plain States (and other possible plain states)
4. Gulf of Mexico (Mexico and China already drilling there)
5. Not to mention expanding drilling operations where we are already drilling.

Yes, there is a case to be made for expanding drilling within our borders.

There is ALSO a case to be made for insuring that all the oil found there goes to the people of the United States of America who theoretically own that oil.

Tell me, where does the oil from Alaska's north slopes typically go?

To the USA market exclusively or to the "world market".

BEFORE we contract AMERICAN oil companies to drill the PEOPLE'S petroleum reserves, I would dearly love to insure myself that we, the PEOPLE of the USA, actually benefit from that decision.

Agree or no?

I would like to point out that both Liberal responses to my post do not address the "meat" of the point that I made.

The will of the people is not the "extreme left" agenda that you claim it to be. Drilling a field and other such places (which is ONLY protected by the super opinionated and super-minority-sized environmentalists) is well within the peoples will, especially when the prices are up and the squeeze is from the Middle East and other domestic factors.

However, just to be clear, I do not think that the Republican Party has done everything right. They have made their share of mistakes, but they are in NO comparison to the Liberals who have put us in this predicament in the first place. Had the environmental lobby let us begin drilling in Alaska, the mountains, and now the Northwestern Plane states, we would be well on our way to further energy independence.

Three simple questions for you liberal bashers out there...

Are our Oil Companies Drilling on all of the land leases that they currently hold? Why is this? Do you feel stupid for bringing up ANWAR now?

Oh.. one more thing... when I can eat every god damn fish that I catch without going over mercury consumption limits then you right anti conservation fucks can say anything you want... until then STFU ...

Well yeah because everybody knows the President of the US is in charge of world-wide oil prices.

Get a clue.

Forum List

Back