When the heat is on....

Mrs. M.

Man Feed Guest Writer
Nov 2, 2015
trekking-to-munduk-village-bali.jpg

"When the Heat is On"

We've all heard the saying, "When the going gets tough the tough get going." Proverbs tells us that it is the poor specimen who cannot handle the pressures of adversity. So what really happens to us when the heat is on? Considering that the public school system has turned to law enforcement to enforce school policy and discipline students? It might be worth exploring. There are many lessons to be learned about what is and isn't working for educators these days.

It is usually the thing that is within plain sight that we do not see. The subject of climate and its effect provides us with some valuable lessons we can glean from.

In a hot, tropical climate everything grows very quickly. The heat produces foliage that is green, lush and thick. During the day the sun beats down with unrelenting heat and at night the dew falls and gives the necessary nourishment, replenishing what was lost during the heat of the day. Growth in a jungle is very quick and the results are stunning!

There is nothing so rejuvenating to the spirit as the sight of a beautiful lush green garden. On the north pole we would not find the type of lush forest landscape we'd find in Bali. The climate simply cannot produce such beauty because the temperature isn't right. A cold climate does not produce much. The hotter it is the faster everything grows. Isn't it that way for us too?

Perhaps we've been looking at the trials and tribulations of our time from the wrong perspective. Maybe it is time to examine whether or not taking short cuts and avoiding the heat of our trials is stunting our own growth! What happens to our children when we do not discipline them and permit them to rebel against authority? What happens to society when we accuse the innocent in order to justify the guilty? How can we hope to learn endurance when we reject the discipline it takes to acquire it?

Adversity builds character. Endurance isn't something we learn over night. It requires facing difficulties and working through them. Not around them. It requires patience, a teachable spirit and will power that is determined to follow through no matter the cost.

Failure is a part of the journey to success. If we do not quit we cannot fail.
The greatest gift we can give this generation is to stop giving them everything. People appreciate things in proportion to what it costs them. What our society needs is not more free stuff but instruction on how to endure, how to work hard, how to overcome in the face of great difficulty and enjoy the fruits of their labor!

Our greatest opportunities in life come out of our deepest trials. When we navigate through our trials with patience we gain more patience. When we endure a difficult situation we gain more endurance for the next one that is coming our way. Our growth is in those times when the heat is on and there seems to be no way out. That is when our creativity, our problem solving skills and our courage to do great things comes alive!

We cannot acquire the triumphant spirit we need in life if we avoid the trials that get us there.

Last edited:
trekking-to-munduk-village-bali.jpg

We've all heard the saying, "When the going gets tough the tough get going." Proverbs tells us that it is the poor specimen who cannot handle the pressures of adversity. So what really happens to us when the heat is on? Considering that the public school system has turned to law enforcement to enforce school policy and discipline students? It might be worth exploring. There are many lessons to be learned about what is and isn't working for educators these days.

It is usually the thing that is within plain sight that we do not see. The subject of climate and its effect provides us with some valuable lessons we can glean from.

In a hot, tropical climate everything grows very quickly. The heat produces foliage that is green, lush and thick. During the day the sun beats down with unrelenting heat and at night the dew falls and gives the necessary nourishment, replenishing what was lost during the heat of the day. Growth in a jungle is very quick and the results are stunning!

There is nothing so rejuvenating to the spirit as the sight of a beautiful lush green garden. On the north pole we would not find the type of lush forest landscape we'd find in Bali. The climate simply cannot produce such beauty because the temperature isn't right. A cold climate does not produce much. The hotter it is the faster everything grows. Isn't it that way for us too?

Perhaps we've been looking at the trials and tribulations of our time from the wrong perspective. Maybe it is time to examine whether or not taking short cuts and avoiding the heat of our trials is stunting our own growth! What happens to our children when we do not discipline them and permit them to rebel against authority? What happens to society when we accuse the innocent in order to justify the guilty? How can we hope to learn endurance when we reject the discipline it takes to acquire it?

Adversity builds character. Endurance isn't something we learn over night. It requires facing difficulties and working through them. Not around them. It is requires patience, a teachable spirit and will power that is determined to follow through no matter the cost.

Failure is a part of the journey to success. If we do not quit we cannot fail.
The greatest gift we can give this generation is to stop giving them everything. People appreciate things in proportion to what it costs them. What our society needs is not more free stuff but instruction on how to endure, how to work hard, how to overcome in the face of great difficulty and enjoy the fruits of their labor!

Our greatest opportunities in life come out of our deepest trials. When we navigate through our trials with patience we gain more patience. When we endure a difficult situation we gain more endurance for the next one that is coming our way. Our growth is in those times when the heat is on and there seems to be no way out. That is when our creativity, our problem solving skills and our courage to do great things comes alive!

We cannot acquire the triumphant spirit we need in life if we avoid the trials that get us there.
Ahh, I stumbled upon this gem by clicking on a Tab/link on top of the page:

I couldn't help but notice your claim of "A cold climate does not produce much." What strikes me is how you couldn't see the forest for the trees. How so? When you mentioned how it takes adversity and endurance in how things grow in the heat of tropical climates, compared to what grows in the frozen tundra, you totally lost me.

In climes where tropical heat rules, I can spit on bare earth and something will grow. If I wanted to use an analogy for how to teach generations life's lessons? I'd reverse your analogy.

Some have the strength to live, others have the strength to die...
In all seriousness, have you ever gardened in a climate that experiences a frost? To me, the most amazing sights were the first shoots of green and the very first flowers. In southern New England this happens before the rise of the Tulips and Daffodils.

In all seriousness, have you ever gardened in a climate that experiences a frost? To me, the most amazing sights were the first shoots of green and the very first flowers. In southern New England this happens before the rise of the Tulips and Daffodils.
I live where generations of field grass used as hay causes the grass to be green year around, even when heavy snow has covered the ground for weeks...

I live where generations of field grass used as hay causes the grass to be green year around, even when heavy snow has covered the ground for weeks...
I guess we now know how your character got built. :ack-1:

I guess we now know how your character got built. :ack-1:
By union members, it's still in the process....

Forum List

Back