When Should Sex-Ed Begin?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Used to think shortly before whatever age puberty usually begins would be good, but reading this morning I'm stunned to discover something called precocious puberty. It's when kids begin puberty much earlier than normal, say 11-13. Seems the condition has led to very young girls being raped and giving birth, or at least becomming pregnant. Recall an incident in one of the Carolinas years ago involving a 9 year-old rape victim, but had thought that was the 'record.' If a 9 year-old can get pregnant maybe that's when sex-ed should begin? Seems it's not the record. The record's 5 and a half.

List of youngest birth mothers - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Looking for information on incidence/rate of this thing in kids that's harder to come by but some studies in Denmark suggest it's quite uncommon, less than 1%.

Prevalence and incidence of precocious pubertal development in Denm... - PubMed - NCBI

While precocious puberty exists, and happens, I don't know if it happens enough to justify sex-ed in considerably younger children than would seem necessary. Have seen suggestions it begin at 5 but I don't think it's needed then. Don't think a 5 year-old is going to get much from such instruction regardless. Whatever age it begins I'd think it's going to send a mixed signal relative to our ages of consent for sex. "Why teach me about sex if I can't have sex?" being the issue.

Youngest aoc in the USA right now is 13 (via 'close in age' or Romeo and Juliet laws.) So 12 seems a good time to start, get a year or so of education on pregnancy, safer sex, and pregnanacy. Maybe basic anatomy and puberty effects a year or two before that.

...This is a serious discussion thread. Anyone trying to troll or cause disruption will go on ignore without comment so don't even bother.

Ten. Maybe seven.

Your reasoning?

Kids are excited about breaking into the double digits. They usually expect a transition at that age, similar to how teenagers expect an epic transition at twenty-one.

The age of ten seems like a good opportunity to help them become more responsible, and teach them some sex Ed in the process.

I said maybe seven, because boys in Sparta were trained as warriors from the age of seven. Trained to kill. If they could handle the concept of murder, as many children in foreign countries do even today, I'm sure many children can handle the concept of sex at that age, here in America.

Unless, of course, parents would rather keep their children ignorant of the real world for as long as possible, through some foolish belief that they might "preserve their children's innocence" for as long as they think they can.

It should be a natural extension of teaching kids about their bodies.

People are so afraid of using the real names of some body parts. Instead of teaching "that's your knee, that's your penis, that's your elbow...", its a "pee pee" and "down there".

Ten. Maybe seven.

Your reasoning?

Kids are excited about breaking into the double digits. They usually expect a transition at that age, similar to how teenagers expect an epic transition at twenty-one.

The age of ten seems like a good opportunity to help them become more responsible, and teach them some sex Ed in the process.

I said maybe seven, because boys in Sparta were trained as warriors from the age of seven. Trained to kill. If they could handle the concept of murder, as many children in foreign countries do even today, I'm sure many children can handle the concept of sex at that age, here in America.

Unless, of course, parents would rather keep their children ignorant of the real world for as long as possible, through some foolish belief that they might "preserve their children's innocence" for as long as they think they can.

True, vividly recall the morning of my tenth birthday thinking, "Wow, I'm a double-digit number."

Sparta was like 2500 years ago when the possibility of being invaded and killed necessitated such training. Not quite the same world now. :) Child soldiers of today I don't think grasp the concept of killing and deaths o much as do what adults tell them to. Especially if the adult holds a gun to their head.

I don't think we're culturally ready for the results of especially early sex ed as with 7. Think it'd create problems instead of solve them. What works in European countries and Scandinavia woudln't work here. They have significantly more practice with it than we do plus they're much more internationalized having many countries all bunched up againste ach other so a more cosmopolitan awareness than we do.

Starting at 10 sure, teach basics of sexual anatomy in preparation of puberty. By 12 sexuality proper. I have a hard time rationalizing anything under that range.

Forum List

Back