When schools have to be the parents

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
"Not My Child" Syndrome. At one time or another, most children behave badly. But way too many parents, confronted by another parent or teacher about their child's behavior, get defensive and go into blind denial mode. Without proper discipline, kids develop a sense of entitlement and the dangerous realization that their bad behavior will go relatively unpunished.

Enabled by clueless parents, kids soon realize there are no moral boundaries. Bad behavior escalates. Yet no matter how many times these parents are confronted, they refuse to see reality. It probably pains them to think they've raised less-than-perfect children - but it's more painful to see the damage these disruptive kids do to the other kids they victimize.

The "Head in the Sand" parent. The other side of the coin from the ambitious parent: In my teaching career, what used to upset me most was that many of the bad parents didn't have high aspirations for their children.

Their kids would consistently come home with failing grades on report cards, tests and homework assignments - yet few of the parents would contact me to ask what could be done to help their children do better.

Read more: When schools have to be the parents | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/05/2010

There are a lot of ideas floating around about how to "fix" K-12 education. Most people agree that it does not take a village to raise a child, it takes a parent.

How should schools deal with neglectful or enabling parents? Can they?

"Not My Child" Syndrome. At one time or another, most children behave badly. But way too many parents, confronted by another parent or teacher about their child's behavior, get defensive and go into blind denial mode. Without proper discipline, kids develop a sense of entitlement and the dangerous realization that their bad behavior will go relatively unpunished.

Enabled by clueless parents, kids soon realize there are no moral boundaries. Bad behavior escalates. Yet no matter how many times these parents are confronted, they refuse to see reality. It probably pains them to think they've raised less-than-perfect children - but it's more painful to see the damage these disruptive kids do to the other kids they victimize.

The "Head in the Sand" parent. The other side of the coin from the ambitious parent: In my teaching career, what used to upset me most was that many of the bad parents didn't have high aspirations for their children.

Their kids would consistently come home with failing grades on report cards, tests and homework assignments - yet few of the parents would contact me to ask what could be done to help their children do better.

Read more: When schools have to be the parents | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/05/2010

There are a lot of ideas floating around about how to "fix" K-12 education. Most people agree that it does not take a village to raise a child, it takes a parent.

Maybe they should teach good parenting skills in school...when?

No, but they can deal with neglectful teachers, like the one writing the OP.

Why would a teacher whose students "consistently come home with failing grades on report cards, tests and homework assignments" wait for the parent to call them?

Why would a teacher whose students "consistently come home with failing grades on report cards, tests and homework assignments" wait for the parent to call them?

Some parents are like Donkeys.... I'd imagine...

Are you saying..that if your child came home with straight "F,s" you wouldn't notice..?

Last edited:

Are you saying..that if your child came home with straight "F,s" you wouldn't notice..?

heh...no I would notice.

But only because I'm ULTRA VIGILANT, to the point that I DEMAND that papers be sent home (although papers with "F's" have a high mortality rate getting from the school to the home).

To help avoid this, some schools post the grades on a secure online gradebook, so parents can check grades at any time. However, this does NOT, IMHO, let teachers off the hook from calling parents to let them know why and how little Muffy or Tyrone is failing the class.

Last edited:

heh...no I would notice.

But only because I'm ULTRA VIGILANT, to the point that I DEMAND that papers be sent home (although papers with "F's" have a high mortality rate getting from the school to the home).

To help avoid this, some schools post the grades on a secure online gradebook, so parents can check grades at any time. However, this does NOT, IMHO, let teachers off the hook from calling parents to let them know why and how little Muffy or Tyrone is failing the class.

I can accept that the teacher should give a call but Chanels asking...

heh...no I would notice.

Yes, they can bug the shit out of them by calling them every day to discuss Muffy or Tyrone.

The trouble with American schools is obviously the trouble with American communities.

Doubt that?

Okay go into the schools of affluent communities, and then visit schools in slums.

ARe they both having the same problems?

Time to admit that schools are there to teach children, and they can NOT solve the problems until we solve the problems in the communities from which they draw their students AND their funding.

heh...no I would notice.

Yes, they can bug the shit out of them by calling them every day to discuss Muffy or Tyrone.

Funny you should say that...my brother's school is trying such a policy and now the office is getting complaints that the teachers call TOO much.

heh...no I would notice.

Last year my youngest was in 7th grade and decided to emulate her friend, so she stopped doing homework and started failing tests. I had no idea as the previous year this kid was near honor roll. Because there had never been a reason to be concerned I was not one to constantly check grades on-line and it wasn't until the end of October that any teacher contacted me that she was failing four classes. I completely agree with the bolded above.

Oh yeah, the hammer came down big time on the kid. Did you know that they don't actually die if they get grounded off the computer for months on end?

Let's assume OP writer is a good teacher who has reached out to Muffy and Tyrone's parents. The call was unproductive and nothing more than excuses, sob stories or mud slinging toward the school. What then?

Approx 10 percent of the special ed parents show up for conferences or IEP meetings at our school. I'm interested in ideas (even crazy ones) to get the folks more involved. We even offer quite a nice spread of free desserts for conferences. No luck.

Let's assume OP writer is a good teacher who has reached out to Muffy and Tyrone's parents. The call was unproductive and nothing more than excuses, sob stories or mud slinging toward the school. What then?

Approx 10 percent of the special ed parents show up for conferences or IEP meetings at our school. I'm interested in ideas (even crazy ones) to get the folks more involved. We even offer quite a nice spread of free desserts for conferences. No luck.

10%?? That just boggles my mind. We've never, ever missed any IEP or other meeting for Kevin. . . . the thought never even crossed our minds.

Yes zoom. I have had years where I have met ZERO. I've been teaching seniors for a few years so that might account for lack of interest at IEPs but many only seem to get involved in the spring when they finally realize that Muffy or Tyrone might not graduate. "OMG We have the party planned!"

I have a regular ed freshman homeroom and went to orientation in August. 3 out of 10 showed
up with their parents. Half the teachers were there (unpaid), all the clubs were
there, and they had all
kinds of activities for the kids to get acquainted with their new school. 30 percent. Disgraceful if you ask me.

Funny you should say that...my brother's school is trying such a policy and now the office is getting complaints that the teachers call TOO much.

Heh.

Well, it sounds like the parents are becomming more engaged.

:clap2:

heh...no I would notice.

Last year my youngest was in 7th grade and decided to emulate her friend, so she stopped doing homework and started failing tests. I had no idea as the previous year this kid was near honor roll. Because there had never been a reason to be concerned I was not one to constantly check grades on-line and it wasn't until the end of October that any teacher contacted me that she was failing four classes. I completely agree with the bolded above.

Oh yeah, the hammer came down big time on the kid. Did you know that they don't actually die if they get grounded off the computer for months on end?

I'm not saying that this happened, however....

If anyone reading this has had the same experience with a 6, 7, 8, 9 grader, I strongly suggest a drug test. You can get them at Walgreens for about $30. If its negative, then great! You have raised the importance of the issue, and demonstrated what you will do on a regular basis, if the behaviour doesn't change (few teens like producing urine samples).

Plus you have ruled out a very real possibility that the kid might be emulating more bad habits of friends.

Of course, if the test is positive, then at least you know exactly what's going on, and you can take appropriate steps to help the kid.

I think that the schools should take on the appeasing parents, (my kid isn't doing anything that some other kid...), the bullying parents, (my kid was standing up for himself by hitting or denigrating), and the victim parents, (my child was at the mercy of and didn't want to tattle, really I didn't want to tattle...).

Truth is, school is for teaching. Yes, socialization goes on at school, no denying that. On the other hand, schools cannot and should not be held responsible for what goes on out of class. I'm not speaking of lunch time, recess, and gym; those are within the rhelm of school. I'm speaking toward internet/facebook. That should be parent rhelm, and blocked by schools. Same with texting/calling.

I think that the schools should take on the appeasing parents, (my kid isn't doing anything that some other kid...), the bullying parents, (my kid was standing up for himself by hitting or denigrating), and the victim parents, (my child was at the mercy of and didn't want to tattle, really I didn't want to tattle...).

Truth is, school is for teaching. Yes, socialization goes on at school, no denying that. On the other hand, schools cannot and should not be held responsible for what goes on out of class. I'm not speaking of lunch time, recess, and gym; those are within the rhelm of school. I'm speaking toward internet/facebook. That should be parent rhelm, and blocked by schools. Same with texting/calling.

Our school filters social sites and messengers from our network, we also have a very strict policy on cell phones, IE if they are used on campus during school hours without permission from at minimum the vice principal of discipline then the student will be suspended for 3 days on first offense and the phone will be confiscated until parents attend a conference and pick it up, which will be AFTER the child's suspension.

Forum List

Back