When Ron Met Michele: The Town Hall

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-09-26/the-craziest-town-hall-ever/

I thought this article was hilarious to be perfectly honest. I'm sure to be there would of been quite the hoot.

Logically, the camps are mutually exclusive; “family values libertarian” is practically an oxymoron. But on Friday night Congress’ evangelical mascot du jour, Rep. Michele Bachmann, nevertheless co-hosted a town hall meeting with Paul at the University of Minnesota’s Northrop Auditorium, drawing 2,000 people and marking a tenuous foray into a potent—if paradoxical—political syncretism.

In the hours leading up to meeting’s start, activists waved signs and stood in clusters of like-minded people. A trio of men wearing black 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB t-shirts handed out DVDs explaining various conspiracy theories. A lone drummer, dressed in full Revolutionary garb and a white powdered wig, marched back and forth across the plaza without speaking to anyone.

Amid applause and wolf whistles, Bachmann grabbed the microphone: “Congressman Paul is a master of perseverance. It has been 26 years that he’s been trying to do this.”

But she didn’t abandon her neocon or family-values convictions. As Paul spoke passionately about ending all military operations and keeping government out of people’s “lifestyles,” a lone heckler began to shout, “Tell her!” Bachmann remained serene, hands folded in her lap, facing Paul. Bringing up Obama’s announcement that Iran had secret underground nuclear facilities, Paul announced that he had had enough of “fear-mongering” for the sake of the “military-industrial complex.” Bachmann, who once advocated nuking Iran, kept her eyes trained on Paul as her heckler repeated, “Tell her! Tell Michele! Tell her!”

:lol:

There was never any doubt that Ron Paul was the draw at this event. Bachmann—who, by appearing on the university’s campus, was not only outside her district but in the state’s most liberal one—was incidental, letting the congressman answer questions first and waiving some questions entirely when his answer sufficed. But she held her own and clearly impressed the crowd. “She’s getting there with the Federal Reserve and monetary stuff,” said Jenny Schreiter, vice president of the local Young Americans for Liberty chapter. As for the rest, “I’m hoping we can convert her.”

"One of us, One of us, One of us, One of us!" :rofl:

Why would it have been a hoot? As for the article, I thought it was funny of this article to say neo-cons want to lob nukes into Iran when Obama just said that all options were on the table regarding Iran. Obviously the Daily Beast doesn't understand that a neo-con is just a progressive Republican.

Why would it have been a hoot? As for the article, I thought it was funny of this article to say neo-cons want to lob nukes into Iran when Obama just said that all options were on the table regarding Iran. Obviously the Daily Beast doesn't understand that a neo-con is just a progressive Republican.

Because to watch Michele be taken to school would of been hilarious. Also, you seem to have the words "Progressive" and "Republicans" mixed up.

Because to watch Michele be taken to school would of been hilarious. Also, you seem to have the words "Progressive" and "Republicans" mixed up.

How do I have them mixed up?

Neo-cons are progressive Republicans. Progressives have taken over the Democratic and Republican parties. There are few if any real conservatives or liberals left.

Neo-Cons are certainly not progressive. In fact, when it comes to social issues, Neo-Cons run directly against the idea of progressive policies.

Neo-cons are progressive Republicans. Progressives have taken over the Democratic and Republican parties. There are few if any real conservatives or liberals left.

Neo-Cons are certainly not progressive. In fact, when it comes to social issues, Neo-Cons run directly against the idea of progressive policies.

Well that's because "progressives" aren't actually progressive, the same way the old Federalist Party wasn't actually promoting federalism. It's a misnomer. However, progressives advocate big government, the difference between Republican and Democrat progressives is what part of government they want to grow.

Forum List

Back