When robots have feelings

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
If the mind is the brain and conscious because of it, does it follow that a conscious machine is a brain is a mind. And if a mind is the moral element of the human and because of that fact possessed with rights does it follow that a conscious machine possesses rights?

When robots have feelings | Peter Singer and Agata Sagan | Comment is free | The Guardian

By Peter Singer and Agata Sagan "If, as seems likely, we develop super-intelligent machines, their rights will need protection, too."

and stuff on the mind VS Ramachandran on your mind | Video on TED.com

"...the "astonishing hypothesis" — that even our loftiest thoughts and aspirations are mere byproducts of neural activity. We are nothing but a pack of neurons."
MIRROR NEURONS AND THE BRAIN IN A VAT By V.S. Ramachandran

and [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wider-Than-Sky-Phenomenal-Consciousness/dp/0300107617/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260898808&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness (9780300107616): Gerald M. Edelman: Books[/ame]

If the mind is the brain and conscious because of it, does it follow that a conscious machine is a brain is a mind. And if a mind is the moral element of the human and because of that fact possessed with rights does it follow that a conscious machine possesses rights?
Why not treat machines as humans?
Because machines have no demonstrable level of self awareness.
Because machines do exactly what they are programmed to do - no more no less.
Note bad programming may result in odd performance, but it s not the result of the machine being 'alive' in any way.

The anthropomorphic treatment of computers is an outgrowth of fictional accounts, such as Asimov's Robot series, and poor understanding of the actual technology by the layman.

Uh, no.
I think it would be a mistake to try and "humanize" robots. They should be very utilitarian. They can help out in dangerous situations, and be of aid to workers or the people who are not as able bodied.
Some day we will be able to interact with them on a more interpersonal level, instead of a keyboard or remote control. But an artificial brain is nowhere close to the complexity of an organic brain. Nor will it ever be in my opinion.

Robots should not be given the ability to develop sentience. they exist, as the very word implies, as a means of labour. To create a sentient machine simply creates a new lower caste. Leaving machines as such allows us to achieve necessary labour without the suffering of any sentient being, thereby helping to pave the way to a world where no person need perform the most dangerous and demeaning of tasks.

Machines should be machines, not slaves.

Uh, no.

Some day we will be able to interact with them on a more interpersonal level, instead of a keyboard or remote control. But an artificial brain is nowhere close to the complexity of an organic brain. Nor will it ever be in my opinion.

Yes, I too want robot sex slaves.

poster.jpg

I just watched a very sad movie (set in the future) about a child robot who is programmed to love his "parents", who adopt him when their only child falls brain dead and is hospitalized on life support.

The real son comes back to them, so the Mom takes the robot boy to the woods near the company that built him and drops him off there. He spends the rest of his "life" trying to get back to his "Mommy".

Can't remember the name of the movie, but it really broke THIS Mom's heart. I hope we NEVER develop this kind of technology. What I saw in this movie was horrific. :(

I just watched a very sad movie (set in the future) about a child robot who is programmed to love his "parents", who adopt him when their only child falls brain dead and is hospitalized on life support.

The real son comes back to them, so the Mom takes the robot boy to the woods near the company that built him and drops him off there. He spends the rest of his "life" trying to get back to his "Mommy".

Can't remember the name of the movie, but it really broke THIS Mom's heart. I hope we NEVER develop this kind of technology. What I saw in this movie was horrific. :(

artificial_intelligence_dvd.jpg

artificial_intelligence_dvd.jpg

Yep. That's it.

What a fucking heartbreaking movie. Made me cry. Dammit. :evil:

Am I the only one who cares about the feelings of machines with feelings? It seems like a pretty important moral/philosophical concern to me.

☭proletarian☭;1827867 said:
Am I the only one who cares about the feelings of machines with feelings? It seems like a pretty important moral/philosophical concern to me.

You know damn well you're not the only machine "who cares about the feelings of machines with feelings."

Forum List

Back