When outrage is all the rage, progressive politics suffer

Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.
And that may be at the core of our problems. We're conditioned to think tactically, not critically. Beat the other "side", no matter what it takes. Wait for the the person to stop talking, and then just attack.

There are people who argue that it has been so long since we engaged in critical thinking and communicated based on critical thinking that we've essentially lost the skill.

I agree with that, and that worries me as much as anything else.

Okay so here's a question not just for you but for the thread:

What do you think a K-12 classroom would look and sound like if the students were thinking critically, and were encouraged to think critically?

All ages in one classroom? Pure chaos! :aargh:

Both my parents went to a school like that. They are both well educated, Dad an accountant, Mom is retired from the insurance business. They read all the time, know Shakespeare, etc.

It is much more of a parenting problem; too many 'parents' aren't parents, they're dope-addled half-wits who hate schools and teachers, period, being dumbasses themselves, wont' let their kids be disciplined, and think schools should just be free day care centers or something.

And that may be at the core of our problems. We're conditioned to think tactically, not critically. Beat the other "side", no matter what it takes. Wait for the the person to stop talking, and then just attack.

There are people who argue that it has been so long since we engaged in critical thinking and communicated based on critical thinking that we've essentially lost the skill.

What do you think a K-12 classroom would look and sound like if the students were thinking critically, and were encouraged to think critically?

All ages in one classroom? Pure chaos! :aargh:

Oh I didn't mean ALL those ages in one classroom. I just meant in any of those grades, pick one. As in, not a college classroom.

Off the top of my head, I'd think the teacher would be a little more of a facilitator. They would introduce facts and structure and require the class to to express themselves, ask questions, and communicate. Promote intellectual curiosity and communication at absolutely every opportunity.

Since American adults no longer possess those attributes, perhaps we can save the future through our kids.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Dare I say this teacher gives you a gold star? Hahaha

This is exactly how we are reforming our classrooms, because the research says it works. Yes, you present the information. And then, good teaching requires just as many questions as answers. "Why do you say that? Tell me how you got that answer. What was your thinking there?"

If you can get kids to make their OWN connections, guess what they do? They bring those connections to their next project, their next puzzle. They make their own connections; they're thinking critically.

But those classrooms--and that learning--is messy, loud, often looks a little "disorganized", and does not take place in silence with desks in rows. It is not "read this chapter and silently answer the questions at the end". It is better than that but, like all great things in life, a little less predictable. But worth the mess. :)

The thing that annoys me is the big concern over getting Federal money admins obsess over. currently our district gets maybe 10% of its funding from the Feds, yet 'compliance' with their bookkeeping and requirements takes up way more than 10% of not only admin 's time but teachers as well. I don't see the point, or the problem, with telling them to take a hike, keep their lousy money, but then that always starts a fight,with claims they can still make demands even if they aren't funding anything at in your district.

That's the golden nugget right there. There is more indoctrination and less value on thinking freely for yourself.

At Hogwarts -- there was an emphasis on "Defense from the Dark Arts". We need that. Even if you have to hire a sketchy guy like Professor Snape to teach it. LOTS of "dark arts action" going on. :biggrin:

The reliance on fact-checkers, social media and media sources who have chucked integrity and reason is another cause.

Probably also need to require that journalism students take many more courses on how stuff works rather than being admonished to "change the world".
Let me ask you this: you say to avoid indoctrination we have to think critically, right? Well if you were thinking critically you would explain the word’s context in what you’re describing. So who exactly is being indoctrinated? Who is doing the indoctrination? What sort objective evidence supports this conclusion? What you’ve said is very vague and your definition of the word may be different from mine so how do you convince me it is an actual social phenomenon?

How are people thinking less freely? What specific limitations are there?

Also, I find it odd you would think any fact-checking source has been compromised. No fact checker has a sense of integrity and objectivity anymore? That seems hard to believe. For instance, poltifact or factcheck.org do not seem to be compromised. If they have, I would like to know how and by whom.

My take on this thread is that DTMB is cherry-picking a single story and generalizing it to make a conclusion about the leftwing.

Apparently you didn't read the articles posted before this post, Mr. non-critical thinker. :)
Oh well you should be able to explain how such sources contradict what I said. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

"
Radical education reformers have made a point of removing context from children’s education, and to squash their natural curiosity, undermining their capacity to think. They have done this in five ways: 1) by withholding the basic tools and codes of learning, such as suppressing phonics for reading, as well as clarity in standard arithmetic; 2) by withholding the content knowledge necessary to connect dots in understanding history and civics; 3) by withholding and demeaning literature that reveals universal human experiences and shared understanding, such as the classics and Shakespeare; 4) by de-stabilizing a child’s sense of self and identity. This is a natural byproduct of de-sexing every child, which happens through mandates to teach kids about transgenderism; and 5) by promoting relational aggression against any child or parent who might resist this totalitarian program. Radical education reform encourages schools and communities to single out those who disagree with this coercive program as misfits, bigots, or religious nuts.

All of the above would subvert anybody’s ability to think clearly. It leaves children unmoored from reality and in a constant state of anxiety about being socially rejected by peers or teachers for thinking thoughts deemed wrong."

There's some. Don't worry guy, I got more.

"Increasingly colleges are requiring “diversity” training for freshmen, which basically puts them on notice that they will become non-persons if they say one wrong word or think one wrong thought. (For more on this dark side of campus culture, see the book just published by humanities professor Robert Oscar Lopez.)"

"
The five methods on the “Continuum of Influence and Persuasion” are: education, advertising, propaganda, indoctrination, and thought reform (i.e., brainwashing). Look at the table, please. Singer describes how each method of persuasion operates in terms of openness, ethics, deceptiveness, structure, methods, and so on.

morabitograph.jpg
"

Riot-Prone Mobs Are A Product Of America’s Cult-Like Education System

And I'm done doing your homework for you, Billygoat.

It doesn't matter, from my observation, you clearly lack critical thinking skills,

and I'm sure you're on to the next thread already.

I think what Billy’s point was (if I may interject) is that whatever “sage” that someone wants to trot out, you can find biases in their person to dismiss them. For years, the Websters dictionary was seen as the standard. If I or someone else wished to debunk Websters, we likely could find that whomever Webster was…he had a certain perversion, bias, weakness, slant; whatever you want to call it. And folks can use that like a club to hammer away at the credibility of the dictionary so much so that you cannot use Websters as a bedrock source of information now. Such as the Conservatives have done with anything that reports the truth about Trump.

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.05.53 AM.png

Snopes…

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.05.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.11.02 AM.png

And even factcheck.org to a lesser extent.

I can’t speak for Billy but I think that was his point; whatever bedrock you rest upon can be usurped if you dig deep enough into the creator’s past and simply wish to amplify one or two data points to call their impartiality into question.

A great piece on how social media is making everybody dumber, but primarily I blame the education system. Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.

Did you hear, for example, that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, had an actual, literal, real-life Nazi working for it? A Nazi! Also, there was a secret deal between retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy and Donald Trump where Kennedy agreed he would retire if and only if Trump subsequently nominated Brett Kavanaugh, Kennedy’s handpicked successor, to fill his seat.

If you spend any time on Twitter, you’ve likely come across these rumors, both of which exploded onto the social-media scene in recent weeks. It’s somewhat less likely you came across the news that both are false. The ICE story had an embarrassingly simple explanation: A bunch of people, including some professional journalists and policy mavens, decided that a tattoo visible on an ICE employee’s arm in a publicity photograph was a Nazi symbol, and began clamoring for ICE to be held accountable for allowing a dangerous extremist into its ranks. But the tattoo wasn’t, in fact, an Iron Cross: As Haaretz subsequently explained, the employee’s tattoo was a “‘Titan 2,’ the symbol of the platoon he fought with in Afghanistan, where he lost both of his legs in an IED explosion.”

When outrage is all the rage, progressive politics suffer - The Boston Globe

Good post. I don’t know if I agree with all of it about critical thinking specifically. If anything, I think the article highlights the danger of accepting Donald Trump’s and other leader’s numerous lies or laughing them off as “hyperbole” or, even worse, the typical “I don’t care” defense most Trump supporters employ when they can’t laugh off or justify the lying. Mis-information needs to be shouted down at every turn and it isn’t just the malcontents who roam message boards who are guilty (as the Globe article highlights) but “authority figures”—like Trump—have become practitioners of mis-information. For example, the famous Nancy Pelosi mis-quote about Obamacare didn’t happen at all. The “We have to pass it to see what is in it” was touted by one of the admins on this very site (I won’t say who because this isn’t about playing gotcha)

When Nancy said "We have to PASS the bill to see what's in it", she wasn't directly lying. Because there was literally NOTHING SPECIFIC in the bill. It was all "as shall be determined by" passages...

The actual quote is this:
"You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.”

If we want to chalk up the repeating of lies as mis-information as failing to “think critically”, okay. I tend to think that it is more or less a product of the age of having sources at our fingertips and trusting those sources. To put it bluntly, we’ve become lazy. The question is, or should be anyway, do you want to be lazy and controversial or do you want to be lazy and be correct? When it is MSNBC, Fox or places like that, you get your information and presto…you regurgitate it… The source information is wrong so you’re wrong too. I would wager that in almost every cast, the person putting the information out there knows the information is wrong or at least shaded. Now, lets be clear; the standard of “perfection” doesn’t exists however If you use the same “presto” methodology but choose NPR and AP as your source material, you almost always get factual information that will stand up to scrutiny. It isn’t sexy and you usually don’t get the “gotcha” moment but you do get to not have to re-tract your posts later on.

A great piece on how social media is making everybody dumber, but primarily I blame the education system. Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore.

Did you hear, for example, that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, had an actual, literal, real-life Nazi working for it? A Nazi! Also, there was a secret deal between retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy and Donald Trump where Kennedy agreed he would retire if and only if Trump subsequently nominated Brett Kavanaugh, Kennedy’s handpicked successor, to fill his seat.

If you spend any time on Twitter, you’ve likely come across these rumors, both of which exploded onto the social-media scene in recent weeks. It’s somewhat less likely you came across the news that both are false. The ICE story had an embarrassingly simple explanation: A bunch of people, including some professional journalists and policy mavens, decided that a tattoo visible on an ICE employee’s arm in a publicity photograph was a Nazi symbol, and began clamoring for ICE to be held accountable for allowing a dangerous extremist into its ranks. But the tattoo wasn’t, in fact, an Iron Cross: As Haaretz subsequently explained, the employee’s tattoo was a “‘Titan 2,’ the symbol of the platoon he fought with in Afghanistan, where he lost both of his legs in an IED explosion.”

I agree, and that's just crazy. That needs to be rectified ASAP. You can't have a nation full of people incapable of figuring things out for themselves.

I agree. Most people believe what the news tells them to believe and lets face it. Most journalists are to busy trying to make the news rather than to report the news.

People need to use their brains to figure things out. Not believe everything they see on the news.

Excellent article. I recommend an in-depth reading of Mao's 1960's Cultural Revolution--with particular attention paid to his Red Guards youth movement--to put this piece into proper contemporary American perspective.

Would I be fair and balanced if I said you think everyone should study the writings of Mao? How do you think fox and the entire right wing bubble would respond if a Democratic politician said exactly what you just said?

Unlike the Left's fantasy of self- enforced censorship by self-flagellation of political correctness, the American Right still recognizes its individual freedom to digest literature in all its forms and from any historical source. And that is precisely why everyone should read such historical warnings to draw parallels in times of standing on cliff' edges, rather than mistake cynicism and deconstruction for intelligence. Your above sentences sound eerily similar to what a Mao's Red Guard might say as they rat out a parent to the State for anti-communist party speech.

Right. The Republicans support the teachings of Mao just like they did Ayn Rand until it became public knowledge.

Progressive politics is about outrage. It's not hard to see that the democrat political platform is based on anger, hatred and obstructionism. If it wasn't for the total support of the MSM the democrat party would have been laughed out of Washington D.C. years ago.

Progressive politics is about outrage. It's not hard to see that the democrat political platform is based on anger, hatred and obstructionism. If it wasn't for the total support of the MSM the democrat party would have been laughed out of Washington D.C. years ago.

We know Republicans never advocate stupid stuff.

There is always a kernel of truth when conservatives yap about "government schools"... and a whole lot of smoke and mirrors, too.

The little kindergarten teacher in Hometown, Nebraska sitting down the pew from you, whose husband is the pastor, is also working for the "government schools", you know. The "government schools" is Berkeley, California, and Hometown, Nebraska, and U.P., Michigan and Key West, Florida and your neighbors. It's not a legion of like nameless, faceless bureaucrats like in D.C. for pity's sake.

That's true but not as true after the teachers unionized. At that point, they became a special interest group, developed their own language (which parents didn't understand so they were slow to challenge it), got the boisterous boys hooked on Ritalin, and slowly but surely turned their classes into seminars on the evils of capitalism and the joys of feminism. How many men teach in the government elementary schools?...very few. My mother was a school teacher for 30 years. In the 1950's teachers were held as role models who didn't drink or carouse and had no problem signing a loyalty oath to uphold our Constitution and hate communism....imagine requiring that today...not a bad idea is it?

they were all students of Gramsci, and Hollywood, too.

More like Broadway with Hoffman....he wasn't a communist and in fact, found them worse than right-wingers. He said the D.C. cops had "defaced a national monument" by breaking his nose. Within minutes of his arrival the whole compound had gathered around him.....charisma and a hell of a salesman for his cause. He eventually had to go underground and evaded the FBI for years until they worked out some sort of plea deal. The ugly side of his story is that after working and risking his life for black "liberation", he was gang-raped by black inmates in some county lockup who didn't know or care who he was. And he eventually took his own life, or so we're told.....for a fella with so much spirit and crazy humor, I always found that hard to believe.

That's the golden nugget right there. There is more indoctrination and less value on thinking freely for yourself.

At Hogwarts -- there was an emphasis on "Defense from the Dark Arts". We need that. Even if you have to hire a sketchy guy like Professor Snape to teach it. LOTS of "dark arts action" going on. :biggrin:

The reliance on fact-checkers, social media and media sources who have chucked integrity and reason is another cause.

Probably also need to require that journalism students take many more courses on how stuff works rather than being admonished to "change the world".
Let me ask you this: you say to avoid indoctrination we have to think critically, right? Well if you were thinking critically you would explain the word’s context in what you’re describing. So who exactly is being indoctrinated? Who is doing the indoctrination? What sort objective evidence supports this conclusion? What you’ve said is very vague and your definition of the word may be different from mine so how do you convince me it is an actual social phenomenon?

Also, I find it odd you would think any fact-checking source has been compromised. No fact checker has a sense of integrity and objectivity anymore? That seems hard to believe. For instance, poltifact or factcheck.org do not seem to be compromised. If they have, I would like to know how and by whom.

My take on this thread is that DTMB is cherry-picking a single story and generalizing it to make a conclusion about the leftwing.

Apparently you didn't read the articles posted before this post, Mr. non-critical thinker. :)
Oh well you should be able to explain how such sources contradict what I said. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

"
Radical education reformers have made a point of removing context from children’s education, and to squash their natural curiosity, undermining their capacity to think. They have done this in five ways: 1) by withholding the basic tools and codes of learning, such as suppressing phonics for reading, as well as clarity in standard arithmetic; 2) by withholding the content knowledge necessary to connect dots in understanding history and civics; 3) by withholding and demeaning literature that reveals universal human experiences and shared understanding, such as the classics and Shakespeare; 4) by de-stabilizing a child’s sense of self and identity. This is a natural byproduct of de-sexing every child, which happens through mandates to teach kids about transgenderism; and 5) by promoting relational aggression against any child or parent who might resist this totalitarian program. Radical education reform encourages schools and communities to single out those who disagree with this coercive program as misfits, bigots, or religious nuts.

All of the above would subvert anybody’s ability to think clearly. It leaves children unmoored from reality and in a constant state of anxiety about being socially rejected by peers or teachers for thinking thoughts deemed wrong."

"Increasingly colleges are requiring “diversity” training for freshmen, which basically puts them on notice that they will become non-persons if they say one wrong word or think one wrong thought. (For more on this dark side of campus culture, see the book just published by humanities professor Robert Oscar Lopez.)"

"
The five methods on the “Continuum of Influence and Persuasion” are: education, advertising, propaganda, indoctrination, and thought reform (i.e., brainwashing). Look at the table, please. Singer describes how each method of persuasion operates in terms of openness, ethics, deceptiveness, structure, methods, and so on.

morabitograph.jpg
"

It doesn't matter, from my observation, you clearly lack critical thinking skills,

I think what Billy’s point was (if I may interject) is that whatever “sage” that someone wants to trot out, you can find biases in their person to dismiss them. For years, the Websters dictionary was seen as the standard. If I or someone else wished to debunk Websters, we likely could find that whomever Webster was…he had a certain perversion, bias, weakness, slant; whatever you want to call it. And folks can use that like a club to hammer away at the credibility of the dictionary so much so that you cannot use Websters as a bedrock source of information now. Such as the Conservatives have done with anything that reports the truth about Trump.

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

I can’t speak for Billy but I think that was his point; whatever bedrock you rest upon can be usurped if you dig deep enough into the creator’s past and simply wish to amplify one or two data points to call their impartiality into question.

Outside of Media Matters and maybe another MEDIA fact checker, there doesn't seem to BE any conservative equivalents. Why do you think that is? I think because Conservatives are confident in the information that THEY have discovered and that most of their questions have been answered..

I think you go to psychics or fact-checkers when you're SEVERELY in doubt about figuring out your OWN directions and compass. Or lack confidence in making your OWN decisions and judgements. I could get snarky and EXTEND that theory to how the Left turns to GOVT to solve their each and every one of their hairy little problems de jour, rather than finding other public ways to fix things. But THEN --- I'd be over-thinking the concept.. :auiqs.jpg:

There are many structural defects to the "fact checkers"

1) They LEAP to judgement while the issue is current news cycle. Makes them look more like "damage control" for their leftist sponsors than objective.

2) Like the ENTIRE internet, there's a lot of "EXPIRED WISDOM" and like other places on the web, they put hardly ANY effort in reviewing their judgement after the facts are in. So their harsh quick pronouncements are HARDLY ever revised and live forever in cyber space.

3) All the reasons I originally gave.

But just #1 and #2 are ENOUGH to impeach their modus operandi.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Outside of Media Matters and maybe another MEDIA fact checker, there doesn't seem to BE any conservative equivalents. Why do you think that is? I think because Conservatives are confident in the information that THEY have discovered and that most of their questions have been answered..

I think you go to psychics or fact-checkers when you're SEVERELY in doubt about figuring out your OWN directions and compass. Or lack confidence in making your OWN decisions and judgements. I could get snarky and EXTEND that theory to how the Left turns to GOVT to solve their each and every one of their hairy little problems de jour, rather than finding other public ways to fix things. But THEN --- I'd be over-thinking the concept.. :auiqs.jpg:

1) They LEAP to judgement while the issue is current news cycle. Makes them look more like "damage control" for their leftist sponsors than objective.

2) Like the ENTIRE internet, there's a lot of "EXPIRED WISDOM" and like other places on the web, they put hardly ANY effort in reviewing their judgement after the facts are in. So their harsh quick pronouncements are HARDLY ever revised and live forever in cyber space.

You are bashing the left for checking facts now? Oh boy ... and I thought you were one of the more reasonable ones. Guess not. Unless I've misinterpreted what you are trying to say here.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Outside of Media Matters and maybe another MEDIA fact checker, there doesn't seem to BE any conservative equivalents. Why do you think that is? I think because Conservatives are confident in the information that THEY have discovered and that most of their questions have been answered...

So before you quote a public official, do you double check to see if you got the quote correctly? When you utilize a source, do you check to see if they did?

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

You are bashing the left for checking facts now? Oh boy ... and I thought you were one of the more reasonable ones. Guess not. Unless I've misinterpreted what you are trying to say here.

Either you didn't read the reasons I gave or it's impossible for you to comprehend the obvious. There are SOLID REASONS why this is not fact-checking. It's also why the Left has totally ineffective in "resisting" as the OP outlines. Go back to the OP -- read the idiocy that results from folks that depend on "fact-checkers" to give them their opinions and talking points.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Outside of Media Matters and maybe another MEDIA fact checker, there doesn't seem to BE any conservative equivalents. Why do you think that is? I think because Conservatives are confident in the information that THEY have discovered and that most of their questions have been answered...

So before you quote a public official, do you double check to see if you got the quote correctly? When you utilize a source, do you check to see if they did?

You USED to assume the journalists would get the simple stuff right. When I check it -- I check for the context and background that too many media sources are leaving out ON PURPOSE. This is the reason the left is spouting nonsense and garbage. Because they are ILL-SERVED by the morons they depend on for news and information. They need to fire these morons and get better ones.

It's that gem of quote that DTMB put into his OP ----- "Nobody is taught how to think critically anymore. " That's how fact checking and media came up the 1st place. They are NOT indoctrinated with principles and standards anymore. THey are generally stone stupid about how things work in general. What they are taught is that it is up to them -- to change the world. Mission Impossible -- if you're NOT taught how to think logically, independently, and critically.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Either you didn't read the reasons I gave or it's impossible for you to comprehend the obvious. There are SOLID REASONS why this is not fact-checking. It's also why the Left has totally ineffective in "resisting" as the OP outlines. Go back to the OP -- read the idiocy that results from folks that depend on "fact-checkers" to give them their opinions and talking points.
Again, no major progressive outlet is talking about this tattoo shit. The entire thread is built on bullshit.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Either something is true or it is not true. Or it's partially true and partially false. I''m not sure how that's partisan. If the fact checkers are doing their job correctly, then their personal beliefs have nothing to do with it.

If you are saying that some fact checkers are allowing their biases to interfere with their jobs, then ... they aren't very good at their jobs, no? But implying that people should not use fact checkers is erroneous ... you should almost never rely entirely on one source of information, but to just forego them because they might be biased makes no sense. Any source of information you come across could be biased. Some more likely than others. Fact checkers are generally on the lower end of the bias totem pole.

"

"

morabitograph.jpg
"

View attachment 206519

Snopes…

View attachment 206519

View attachment 206522

Again, no major progressive outlet is talking about this tattoo shit. The entire thread is built on bullshit.

WTF is "tattoo shit" ???

Forum List

Back