When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to

Then you are on an island. At any rate, it misses the point.

To act like Gingrich and Obama made equivalent statements is simply dishonest.

And you guys know it.
I know that a moon colony would be worth more than a visit to Mars.

Apparently, on my island, we're familiar with space program spinoffs.

We need a colony at L-5 first.
Why L-5? Too expensive to boost the parts there from Earth. Have to come from the moon. And since we're there mining anyway, why not build the colony there?

Plus:

Disadvantages

The risk of proton exposure from the solar wind as well as the health threat from cosmic rays is significant. In the Earth-Moon system, the orbit of colonies at L1 - L5 will take them outside of the protection of the Earth's magnetosphere for approximately two-thirds of the time (as occurs with the Moon).​

A moon colony would most likely be under the surface and therefore well shielded.

Last edited:
Isn't L5 too dangerous?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Get Away From Her You Bitch - YouTube[/ame]

I know that a moon colony would be worth more than a visit to Mars.

Apparently, on my island, we're familiar with space program spinoffs.

We need a colony at L-5 first.
Why L-5? Too expensive to boost the parts there from Earth. Have to come from the moon. And since we're there mining anyway, why not build the colony there?

Plus:

Disadvantages

The risk of proton exposure from the solar wind as well as the health threat from cosmic rays is significant. In the Earth-Moon system, the orbit of colonies at L1 - L5 will take them outside of the protection of the Earth's magnetosphere for approximately two-thirds of the time (as occurs with the Moon).​

A moon colony would most likely be under the surface and therefore well shielded.

You mistake my enthusiasm for the L-5 colony with denigration or exception of need for a moon colony. I speak of nothing of the sort. You still have to contend with a gravity well from the moon. On L-5, or should I say AT L-5 you have very much less of that. It can be used as a staging area for the lunar colony. We can capture and process cometary and asteroidal objects there as a supply chain for lunar colonization. It doesn't have to be a huge "2001 a Space Odyssey" colony wheel. At least at first.

The moon is a logical place for a base that can launch ships to the rest of the solar system. The low gravity there will make it immensely cheaper than launching rockets from earth. The problem is we aren't ready. I have wanted to see this since I was a kid but the responsible thing is to get a handle on the deficit and leave projects like this to private enterprise. If there is money in it they will do it. Once fusion is viable it will probably happen because of the amount of Helium 3 on the moon.

This Moon was Made for Mining (Helium-3) : Discovery News

Mars he was applauded. What gives?

It makes more sense to explore Mars. There's nothing on the moon worth the time and money.

Explore the planet Mars with realistic Mars habitats, rockets, ground cars and robots

This is cool to look at.

But then, you just wanted to post that image..

+ rep. You got me

But there is tons of money to be made mining the moon. For real

For titanium? I just don't know if it justifies the cost of getting there.

It makes more sense to explore Mars. There's nothing on the moon worth the time and money.

Explore the planet Mars with realistic Mars habitats, rockets, ground cars and robots

This is cool to look at.

But then, you just wanted to post that image..

Here's the big problem with Mars. No magnetosphere. It's wide open for the same radiological crap that has been said about the L-5 colony, but in spades.

you can discuss it here:
New Mars Forums

Matt-McInnesKSspace3.jpg

Well as all politicians do--they pander to the crowd for votes. Where Newt Gingrich blew it big time in the Florida debate--is he did not explain that the Moon base colony would be funded by the private sector and not federal tax dollars.

You'll note that each and every time Romney or Gingrich get ahead in the polls & it looks like they're on a roll-- they tend to say something really stupid--and shoot themselves in the foot.

Matt-McInnesKSspace3.jpg

Well as all politicians do--they pander to the crowd for votes. Where Newt Gingrich blew it big time in the Florida debate--is he did not explain that the Moon base colony would be funded by the private sector and not federal tax dollars.

You'll note that each and every time Romney or Gingrich get ahead in the polls & it looks like they're on a roll-- they tend to say something really stupid--and shoot themselves in the foot.

That's because they don't really have a concrete base that they BELIEVE in. It's all triangulation for power's sake. Santorum can speak from the hip about conservatism because he believes in it!

Titanium On The Moon: Resources To Spark New Space Race? | HULIQ

Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

You couldn't economically bring back to Earth anything mined on Mars.

Very true, Mars has a bigger gravity well than the moon. I personally would be looking at the satellites of Jupiter and Saturn for anything beyond the Asteroid belt. Mars is a funny problem. You would have to terraform it to make it usefull. And to do that you have to supply a magnetosphere.
Have you heard of the idea of making a gigantic magnetic iron rod that would be slammed through the spin pole? I mean really?

Newt wanted PRIVATE INDUSTRY to lead the way. Not only that he knows we can mine the moon for valuable resources.

What would we get from a mars trip besides a big ass debt and some pretty red rocks?

You guys will defend anything won't you....

Now you are changing the subject. Your original assertion was that Obama and newt made similar statements but only newt was ridiculed.

That is simply not true.

I suspect you know it, so get off your high horse.
Yes. Because one statement about an ambitious space project is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from another statement about an ambition space project.

You realize you're doing nothing but proving my original point, right?

Yes it is. The crazy aspect of Newt's statement was "colonization". Most Americans support space exploration. Exploration is not the same thing as colonization.

You guys are so desperate to start yet another "Waaaaa Waaaaaaa liberal media" that it either went over you head or you are being intentionally obtuse.

Newt wanted PRIVATE INDUSTRY to lead the way. Not only that he knows we can mine the moon for valuable resources.

What would we get from a mars trip besides a big ass debt and some pretty red rocks?

You guys will defend anything won't you....

Now you are changing the subject. Your original assertion was that Obama and newt made similar statements but only newt was ridiculed.

That is simply not true.

I suspect you know it, so get off your high horse.

Suspect anything you want, its you're blind love for Obama that's clouding you're judgment. My statement in no way changes the subject despite you're desperate attempts to make it so.

Fail

Actually, I haven't supported or opposed either issue. I've just pointed out your obvious hackery.

Forum List

Back