When liberals face reality

We have seen health care and education become less and less affordable the more the federal govrenment has involved itself

How can you possibly justify such a bizzare conclusion?

Do you deny that education and health care are less affordable?
Please show me how the government has been removing itself from these institutions.
Haven't you mentioned a time or two, that Congress has been lobbied by these industries? It costs millions and millions to do that. Why are they doing that? Oh yeah, because government is involved in how they are run.

Government involvement in education is what keeps prices from escallating even more. How do the costs of public universities compare to private universities? Without the "Public Option" most middle class Americans couldn't have afforded a College education. I know I couldn't hve

How can you possibly justify such a bizzare conclusion?

Please show me how the government has been removing itself from these institutions.
Haven't you mentioned a time or two, that Congress has been lobbied by these industries? It costs millions and millions to do that. Why are they doing that? Oh yeah, because government is involved in how they are run.

Government involvement in education is what keeps prices from escallating even more. How do the costs of public universities compare to private universities? Without the "Public Option" most middle class Americans couldn't have afforded a College education. I know I couldn't hve

Good question about private versus public college costs. My personal experience is my youngest is at a private college that froze tuition for this year. Show me more than one public one that did that. Maybe we will discuss this further.

You three do realize California is bankrupt because of those great ballot measures like Prop 13, that Raygun Ronnie pimped, right?

I was having a conversation with a former California small business owner that was forced to close up shop in California and move to Colorado in order to stay in business.

She stated that in her county, in California, that 33% of the citizens in her former county in California were employed by the state and local government. That is 1/3 of the population, that's insanity, the private sector can not afford to keep these government people working with ever increasing taxes to do so. Business has moved out of that state and set up shops in other states in order to stay in business. With no business there, there is no work for the citizens and no revenue from the private sector to support that 33% government employees. Total idiosy!!!! Now the increase of 32% in tuition, guess what, those students will vacate California and go to other states where the tuition is more affordable. More revenue lost. Those guys out there running that state are morons. Then they are going to add an additional 10% income tax to support that FAT and OBESE government that they have going on out there. Is anyone going to be left in California????

Sad thing is, with the Obama administration in the WH, that could happen to the rest of the nation with his tax and spend agenda.:cuckoo:

Good question about private versus public college costs. My personal experience is my youngest is at a private college that froze tuition for this year. Show me more than one public one that did that. Maybe we will discuss this further.

Froze tuition at what rate? Give me a $$ number and we can compare the tuition to the public university in your state

Affordable education is the next hurdle we need to attack Outside of helathcare, nothing has gone up in cost as much as a college education. While healthcare can point to expensive new medical procedures, there is nothing radically different in our education system to justify the outlandish costs.

Why does a single class cost $3000 ?

Because for decades you've been handing free money to students giving the schools greater demand for services. When more people compete, it drives up prices.

Normally, this would balance out at some point. But because you continue to provide easy money for people no matter how high the costs get, the schools get away with it.

Naturally what your proposing about "affordable" education will likely just make the prices even higher than before.

Can you show me which students are receiving "Free Money"?

The students I know have to borrow money and graduate with large personal debt

Froze tuition at what rate? Give me a $$ number and we can compare the tuition to the public university in your state

Which question do you want me to answer? Price escallation implies a higher percentage. I can give you the following percentage increases:

2008-09 percentage increase in tuition for public colleges =+6.4%; private=+5.9%
Colleges entering 'difficult financial times' - USATODAY.com

2006-07 public=+6.6%; private=+6.3%
College tuition still rising - School Inc.- msnbc.com

2004-05 public=+7.1%; private=+5.9%
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/e...l=1&adxnnlx=1259252726-efoI6Ze5gd4nOLIlfqxN/Q

Here's a little kicker to think about as well:

" Big private universities, powered by tuition and endowment increases, have increased spending dramatically while public schools have languished. Total educational spending per student at private research universities has jumped by almost 10 percent since 2002 to more than $33,000."
The Surprising Causes of Those College Tuition Hikes - US News and World Report

and this...

Which question do you want me to answer? Price escallation implies a higher percentage. I can give you the following percentage increases:

2008-09 percentage increase in tuition for public colleges =+6.4%; private=+5.9%

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/e...l=1&adxnnlx=1259252726-efoI6Ze5gd4nOLIlfqxN/Q

" Big private universities, powered by tuition and endowment increases, have increased spending dramatically while public schools have languished. Total educational spending per student at private research universities has jumped by almost 10 percent since 2002 to more than $33,000."

and this...

Simple question..

Tell me what your childs private education costs and which state you live in

and this...

Simple question..

Tell me what your childs private education costs and which state you live in

You must concede private rates are going up slower than public. Your premise is wrong. Gee, let me think, are private colleges more costly than public? Duh. Private ones are currently using more of their money to fund student needs. Public ones are using increases to pay for what government has withdrawn.

Hillsdale College says 2009-10 is $19,360 for tuition.
Eastern Michigan University (another daughter) $8,300

Now reality is, after scholarships, there isn't a huge difference.

Affordable education is the next hurdle we need to attack Outside of helathcare, nothing has gone up in cost as much as a college education. While healthcare can point to expensive new medical procedures, there is nothing radically different in our education system to justify the outlandish costs.

Why does a single class cost $3000 ?

Because for decades you've been handing free money to students giving the schools greater demand for services. When more people compete, it drives up prices.

Normally, this would balance out at some point. But because you continue to provide easy money for people no matter how high the costs get, the schools get away with it.

Naturally what your proposing about "affordable" education will likely just make the prices even higher than before.

Can you show me which students are receiving "Free Money"?

The students I know have to borrow money and graduate with large personal debt

I know one student, a family member, who received sufficient scholarships and grants so that she acquired very little personal debt while achieving her BS at a state school, and then, based on her academic record plus other factors involving extra curricular activities, got essentially a free ride through scholarships and grants for her masters and PhD at Stanford. A less academically accomplished sibling was able to work his way to a degree at the same state school and, while acquiring a much larger student loan debt, easily paid it off after graduation. (He earned a highly marketable degree.) All this occurred in the late 70's, early 80's.

The scholarships and grants are less available to the truly bright and industrious students these days though, but are widely available to certain demographic groups, including illegals, and the 'free money' distributed to those certain demographic groups have driven the costs of an education off the charts.

And you can find government meddling as a factor in almost all of the excessive increase.

I know one student, a family member, who received sufficient scholarships and grants so that she acquired very little personal debt while achieving her BS at a state school, and then, based on her academic record plus other factors involving extra curricular activities, got essentially a free ride through scholarships and grants for her masters and PhD at Stanford. A less academically accomplished sibling was able to work his way to a degree at the same state school and, while acquiring a much larger student loan debt, easily paid it off after graduation. (He earned a highly marketable degree.) All this occurred in the late 70's, early 80's.

I did the same thing in the early 70s. My tuition at a state University was only $650/yr for the first two years then went up to $1050. I could pay my way earning $2 an hour part time.

The concern is how do children of the future afford the escalating costs. There is rarely a free ride

I did the same thing in the early 70s. My tuition at a state University was only $650/yr for the first two years then went up to $1050. I could pay my way earning $2 an hour part time.

The concern is how do children of the future afford the escalating costs. There is rarely a free ride

The first thing we do is get the Federal government and all their rules and regs and funding out of it altogether. It is my opinion that you will then see the costs start coming down at least in those states that are interested in educating people rather than making some kind of ideological or social engineering statement.

For higher education I've attended three private universities and two public. The private tuition was higher, but cost less because of scholarship given.

You three do realize California is bankrupt because of those great ballot measures like Prop 13, that Raygun Ronnie pimped, right?

I was having a conversation with a former California small business owner that was forced to close up shop in California and move to Colorado in order to stay in business.

She stated that in her county, in California, that 33% of the citizens in her former county in California were employed by the state and local government. That is 1/3 of the population, that's insanity, the private sector can not afford to keep these government people working with ever increasing taxes to do so. Business has moved out of that state and set up shops in other states in order to stay in business. With no business there, there is no work for the citizens and no revenue from the private sector to support that 33% government employees. Total idiosy!!!! Now the increase of 32% in tuition, guess what, those students will vacate California and go to other states where the tuition is more affordable. More revenue lost. Those guys out there running that state are morons. Then they are going to add an additional 10% income tax to support that FAT and OBESE government that they have going on out there. Is anyone going to be left in California????

Sad thing is, with the Obama administration in the WH, that could happen to the rest of the nation with his tax and spend agenda.:cuckoo:

And with his appointees we'll likely see the same on the Federal level:

Help Wanted, No Private Sector Experience Required « The Enterprise Blog

Help Wanted, No Private Sector Experience Required
By Nick Schulz
November 25, 2009, 8:19 am
A friend sends along the following chart from a J.P. Morgan research report. It examines the prior private sector experience of the cabinet officials since 1900 that one might expect a president to turn to in seeking advice about helping the economy. It includes secretaries of State, Commerce, Treasury, Agriculture, Interior, Labor, Transportation, Energy, and Housing & Urban Development, and excludes Postmaster General, Navy, War, Health, Education & Welfare, Veterans Affairs, and Homeland Security—432 cabinet members in all.

azdgmw.jpg

Forum List

Back