When is too young? How to decide?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Superlative, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    1. Do you think it is right to teach a young child a single religion when they know no alternative?

2. What do you think would happen if children were taught in depth about all religions and left to decide for themselves when they mature?

3. How many non religious children grow up and convert to a religion of their choosing?

4. Is it necessary to teach young children because they will not believe when they are grown?

2. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Why would anyone do this?
    do you think there is a reason why children come into this world children and not adults?

3. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    go on.....

4. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    There is no problem with teaching children religion, infact ist the best moral way to keep them on the right track. Children are not mature enough to grasp the concept free thinking, but eventually they will be old enough to think for themselves. For now, keep children away from bad influences by teaching religion, if your not religious, teach it anyway as a moral code. They will figure out the truth when they are old enough.

5. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    you think without religion there would be no basis for morality?

humans could not distinguish right from wrong without religion?

6. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,103
    While not a religious man myself, I am a survivor of a childhood in the Catholic church, I do think that some religious teachings are the best way to instill in children a sense of morality while they are young. A morality that will hopefully change and grow as they do. Some stories are tailor made for teachings morals to a child.

7. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I believe that morals have some sort of religious back ground even if they aren't out right spoken. I will agree with Vintij on that post. Our world has taken for granted that children have this ability to be responsible thinkers at young ages. That isn't so, we really should slow down the growing up process and allow them to be children. It is a short period in life when we look back.

8. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    There are alot that have nothing to do with religion that are just as effective.

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    My reading of that post is at odds with yours I think. It seems to me that Vintij is arguing that teaching children about morality (ethics) is difficult. If you teach them using religion it would be easier for them to grasp the principles behind a moral code.

If that's what's meant then I'd agree with that. Children are used to authority figure (parents) in fact they need them for their healthy development. Using the concept of god as a supreme being and presenting society's moral code as being a reflection of god's will means a child can learn the code wtihout needing to worry about the thinking that went into creation of the code. Plenty of time for them to deal with those concepts when they get a bit older.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Ethics can survive very well without religion. But try teaching ethics to a young child. They find it easier to learn about their society's ethical code through its dominant religion.