When is the last time you admired a politician... and who was it.

Sep 12, 2008
I have to admit, back in the mists of time when I was a young un, in the ancient days when computers ran on IBM cards and vacuum tubes, I was a big fan of Nixon. That was the last politician I felt any enthusiasm for. And that was a long long time ago.

Well I actually Admire Obama for the way he campaigned and for winning as a Black man. It's all that crap he has done since that is pissing me off :)

Details you know.

Current politicians would be Dennis Kucinich, Russ Feingold, and Al Franken; looking at history I'd say FDR, Adlai Stevenson, Hubert Humphrey, Bobby Kennedy, Harvey Milk and even Lyndon B Johnson. Obviously this isn't everyone but it's who I can think of at the moment

Current? None really..

In the past? Nobody beats Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan.. Reagan and Jefferson always Inspired me.. Sure you may not like Reagan but that man knew how to speak..

Current? None really..

In the past? Nobody beats Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan.. Reagan and Jefferson always Inspired me.. Sure you may not like Reagan but that man knew how to speak..

He was an actor. Apart from his likability he was a terrible president

Sure, he was a terrible president to some people.. Just like people think Clinton was the worst.

You have your opinions I have mine.

Current? None really..

Sure, he was a terrible president to some people.. Just like people think Clinton was the worst.

An opinion founded in fact
ht tp:// im gur .com / AI6Kw.png (Can't post URLs)
h tt p:// img ur .com / Qglof.jpg

Those are just a few. Could you tell me what may have happened in the 80's to coincide with these jumps?

Those are just a few. Could you tell me what may have happened in the 80's to coincide with these jumps?
Why do you libs get your panties in a bunch when you can not convince people you are right.

Let the guy have his Opinions lol

Why do you libs get your panties in a bunch when you can not convince people you are right.

Let the guy have his Opinions lol

I appreciate his opinions. However, when it comes to Ronny Reagan's Rosy Retrospection I'll typically say something

Except, the only thing I admire of Reagan are his speeches and what he believed. Most of the time he didn't act on 'em.

But then again, I'm talking to a guy who has "I love Jimmy Carter" on his Sig..

I dun know how old you are, Tom Clancy, but after Nixon and Ford, Carter was like a breath of fresh, clean air. Finally, a non-crook, non-nutjob in the white house. I think Carter gets trashed a lot unfairly.

Reagan; after the destruction of Barry Goldwater - who was my first presidential vote - by the left and their media allies, and then the destruction of Nixon by the same partnership, it seemed the new-right (not well represented by Nixon) would have a long wait to take the presidency again. Inflation had surged in the middle seventies just after the '72 election (Nixon over McGovern), and became the issue along with energy (one cause of the inflation) during Ford’s term in office.

I didn’t vote for him but I had some hope for Jimmy Carter, mainly because of his US naval service as a nuclear officer, that he would understand and deal with the country’s energy needs, which along with loose money policy seemed to be the cause of our spiraling inflation. By the time of the ‘80 election inflation was at something close to 14%, and commercial interest rates close to 21%.

Reagan gave the country some real hope again, and did what had to be done to shake off the stagflation that was killing us.

I was a "victim" at the time. In 1980 I had one spec house I was paying 21% interest on the commercial construction loans (as well as 18% my land development loans), and had had no new building projects between 78 and 80. In 80 I sold my spec house on “contract” at an 8% rate, took a down payment to reduce my construction loan, which I was still paying 18% on, taking a 10% hit on the loan principal at the bank, and would continue to pay those exorbitant rates until the policies of the Reagan administration would wring inflation out of the economy. That policy, I believe, was to reduce the amount of money which was being printed and was stoking inflation reduce regulations and taxes (particulary capital gains taxes) which slowed new projects and dampened the spirit of entrepreneurs

By 1981, after a two year hiatus, and on the day Reagan was shot I was building two large homes for customers who were providing funds for both projects from their own bank loans, and I had sold my own home and was able to move on and start a new section of new homes in my land development ventures.

Needless to say RR was greatly admired by others like me who had greatly suffered through the Carter years. I’m not blaming Jimmy Carter for those bad times, but he was unable to make necessary changes and to inspire us with his leadership, and he had the political capital and house and senate backing him.

Last edited:
I dun know how old you are, Tom Clancy, but after Nixon and Ford, Carter was like a breath of fresh, clean air. Finally, a non-crook, non-nutjob in the white house. I think Carter gets trashed a lot unfairly.

The demonization of Carter is pretty weird to me, did Carter not satiate the typical American's appetite for a warmonger as Commander in Chief? If only we had listened to Carter when he was president...

Old enough. :cool: Just kidding, I'm 18.

The demonization of Carter is pretty weird to me, did Carter not satiate the typical American's appetite for a warmonger as Commander in Chief? If only we had listened to Carter when he was president...

Of course, you guys obviously don't see the Irony.

I'm blaming Carter like you're blaming Reagan.

See it now?

Forum List

Back