When is it good to be a liberal?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
Honestly, I think most people are liberal in their politics in the old 19th century kind of way. Even Ronald Reagen noticed that liberalism changed in the 1930s which was the reason he left the democratic party.

So I am asking, Isn't their something good about being liberal at least being liberal the way it use to mean about a hundred years ago?

Honestly, I think most people are liberal in their politics in the old 19th century kind of way. Even Ronald Reagen noticed that liberalism changed in the 1930s which was the reason he left the democratic party.

So I am asking, Isn't their something good about being liberal at least being liberal the way it use to mean about a hundred years ago?

Look up the definition of pluralism... It's what liberals should be, and I think it embodies "good." ... Not sure how you could be baffled by your own question.

Usually it boils down to this, with a few exceptions:

Liberals = people's rights...
Conservatives = property and banking rights...

Here's a better question... What's "Christ-like" about modern conservatism?

When is it good to be a liberal?

Most politicians are liberal when the government coffers are full. It's easy to spend someone else’s money and feels soooo good believing you are helping others out by enabling their dependency on government.

The other side of that question needs to be asked at the same time:

When does it suck to be a liberal?

When the bill comes in and your coffers are empty. When it’s discovered your feel-good approach to addressing problems and social issues has created a mess you can’t handle. When you have run out of fingers to point at others.

I for one am demanding women can go on beaches without a chaperone.

In KY a woman in a bathing suit on a state highway must be accompanied by a male guard or carry a club.

A law still on the books unless removed in the past few years.

Look up the definition of pluralism... It's what liberals should be, and I think it embodies "good." ... Not sure how you could be baffled by your own question.

You nailed it!

But it nothing new...human nature is the one constant throughout history...

"Republicans care more about property, Democrats care more about people"
Ted Sorensen - President Kennedy's Special Counsel & Adviser, and primary speechwriter

Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.
William E. Gladstone

If God created trees, shouldn't liberals be the ones calling conservative Christians 'tree huggers'???

It's always good to be a liberal.

Considering only 6% of scientists are Republican and only 9% conservative, without "liberals" we would be a "Christian Afghanistan".

Last edited by a moderator:

[Emphasis added] In reality, those are not opposing views.

.... Here's a better question... What's "Christ-like" about modern conservatism?
As religion is irrelevant to governance in the USA, according to our founders and Constitution, I can't see any reason to discuss it.

[Emphasis added] In reality, those are not opposing views.

.... Here's a better question... What's "Christ-like" about modern conservatism?
As religion is irrelevant to governance in the USA, according to our founders and Constitution, I can't see any reason to discuss it.

I was about to say the same thing because property is something that all people have. Some more than others but the right to own that property exist for everyone no matter how much you have.

Most communist run around and call themselves liberals but don't repeat the old liberal saying your rights end when they violate mine well I would say that same thing goes for economic rights as well. A business does not have the right to make you buy their stuff and a consumer doesn't have the right to tell that business what to sell. Each person's economic rights stopped at the end of someone else's nose and can only intersect when both sides make an agreement with each other or agree to make a purchase.

You nailed it!

But it nothing new...human nature is the one constant throughout history...

"Republicans care more about property, Democrats care more about people"
Ted Sorensen - President Kennedy's Special Counsel & Adviser, and primary speechwriter

Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.
William E. Gladstone

If God created trees, shouldn't liberals be the ones calling conservative Christians 'tree huggers'???

No one has ever stopped you about caring about other people. No one has interfered with your freedom to care but it seems like the left are interested in restricting someone else freedom to not care.

Classic liberalism is closer to modern conservatism. The word has taken on a new meaning since FDR.

I just wonder how liberalism has changed. It always stood for freedom and equal rights. At its beginning it was representing equal rights for Bourgeoisie against the aristocracy, monarchs. Then it evolved into supporting equal rights for everyone. Social justice and liberty was always at its core and still remains.

Unless you listen to the right who potray liberals as branch of marxism, then of course.

I don't know other than the fact that a lot of conservatives go to church but what does that have to do with their political identity? I'm trying to figure what does your own personal choice in a religion have to do with politics.

BTW, I drive Fords. Does that make me a liberal, conservative, or libertarian?

I just wonder how liberalism has changed. It always stood for freedom and equal rights. At its beginning it was representing equal rights for Bourgeoisie against the aristocracy, monarchs. Then it evolved into supporting equal rights for everyone. Social justice and liberty was always at its core and still remains.

Unless you listen to the right who potray liberals as branch of marxism, then of course.

It seems that you are perplexed by people describing modern liberalism as marxism. Here is a quote from your own post:

"At its beginning it was representing equal rights for Bourgeoisie against the aristocracy"

Classic liberalism is closer to modern conservatism. The word has taken on a new meaning since FDR.

That is what liberalism should be about and is the true liberalism since it didn't mention social justice or eqaulity but only concerned itself with freedom of everyone.

Forum List

Back