when is a cop allowed to punch a suspect? (I am on the cops side this time)

blu

Sep 21, 2009
I usually am against over forceful cops, but in this case I think the bitch got what she deserved, video at link:

Seattle Police Officer Caught on Tape Punching Woman During Jaywalking Stop - Seattle News - The Daily Weekly

My question is though, what are the guidelines to police officers in cases like this? From what I see he had two people fighting against him while a rowdy crowd around him cheered them on. They didn't cooperate at all and they forcefully fought back, what he following guidelines when he hit her or should he try something else?

He had more patience than me, I would have pepper sprayed her as soon as she put a hand on me.

To answer your question, the smart move would have been to wait for backup, but LEO do have the right to defend themselves. Like I said personally I would have peppers sprayed both of them as soon as things got physical.

I would have that ****** in the background to who was clearly trying to incite the crowd.

Last edited:
The officer's tactics were clearly flawed. Police are only authorized to use necessary force to restrain. Of course each situation is weighed separately. This needs some more time with the hand to hand instructor.

Last edited:
The cops tactics were clearly flawed. Police are only authorized to use necessary force to restrain. Of course each situation is weighed separately. This needs some more time with the hand to hand instructor.

No he doesn't , he just needs to be told next time hit em with the pepper spray.

He had more patience than me, I would have pepper sprayed her as soon as she put a hand on me.

To answer your question, the smart move would have been to wait for backup, but LEO do have the right to defend themselves. Like I said personally I would have peppers sprayed both of them as soon as things got physical.

I would have that ****** in the background to who was clearly trying to incite the crowd.

First of all, us detectives hate the term "cop" as that is derogatory to all law enforcement.
POST (Police Officers Standards) training does not have a punch to the face of anyone as the first line of defense in a resisting arrest case unless there is a weapon. At the least the officer is in violation of that.
Since this involved a jay walking case instead of a real crime a 30 day suspension without pay would be a very fair warning to the police officer. Give him another chance.

The cops tactics were clearly flawed. Police are only authorized to use necessary force to restrain. Of course each situation is weighed separately. This needs some more time with the hand to hand instructor.

No he doesn't , he just needs to be told next time hit em with the pepper spray.

Pepper spray is a pain in the ass. If the wind is blowing at all, then you get as much on you as you do the assailant. This guy lost his cool and forgot his training.

Pepper spray is a pain in the ass. If the wind is blowing at all, then you get as much on you as you do the assailant. This guy lost his cool and forgot his training.

Oh, I'm well acquainted with pepper spray, but I think he could have probably made sure only she was affected.

Simple ... Obey The Law !!!! At what point are you allowed to come up behind an officer and put your hands on him. What bull shit and she will probably sue and become nigga rich.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9w9AfptGGQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Seattle Police Confrontation - komonews.com[/ame]

First of all, us detectives hate the term "cop" as that is derogatory to all law enforcement.
POST (Police Officers Standards) training does not have a punch to the face of anyone as the first line of defense in a resisting arrest case unless there is a weapon. At the least the officer is in violation of that.
Since this involved a jay walking case instead of a real crime a 30 day suspension without pay would be a very fair warning to the police officer. Give him another chance.

so what was he legally allowed to do then to get the person to stop attacking him?

Only when defending himself or attempting to subdue an uncooperative suspect.

in this case I would say the person who got hit is lucky. You never come up behind an armed man in a stressful situation and put your hands on him. Not smart at all.

Last edited:
All the spike lees standing around filming waiting for the pay day !!
Al Sharpton on his way down?

The Officer will be in trouble on this one.I don't have a problem with him being physical, the citizen had no right to be pushing him around.Total disrespect for the law.However, he punched a lady. I don't think he should lose his job and the city will have to pay a settlement.How do you like that, we go from someone
breaking the law to some one who will be rewarded for doing so.Maybe that was the plan all along.

Maybe the officers of the SPD should walk out for a week, let Seattle live their dream of no oppressive/repressive law enforcement.
My guess is the city would be able to rebuild the 20 or so blocks of city that will be burned down.
Around here if you put your hands on an officer, you are going down.

What jury would give that crazy woman a nickel?
You folks know nothing about the law. Would any of you award a nickel to that woman? No.
No government entity will give her any $. Get in the real world folks. She has no damages. No one gets $ for that. She was not pummeled continuously for no reason.
POST standards have take down rules and a punch to the face is not one of them unless your life is in danger.
1 month suspension and give this officer another chance. Heavy fine and probation for the woman.
End of a NO story here. No one ever gets $ for BS like this. Get real people.

I have no problem with what ended up happening, but I will say this. If Seattle has so many police officers available that they have time to ticket people for something as stupid and petty as jaywalking, then they have too many police officers and should probably save the taxpayers some money and lighten the load a bit.

I have no problem with what ended up happening, but I will say this. If Seattle has so many police officers available that they have time to ticket people for something as stupid and petty as jaywalking, then they have too many police officers and should probably save the taxpayers some money and lighten the load a bit.

Where do you think they get their money? Jaywalking is big business for the city.

Most cities out west here ticket for jaywalking. Real common here in Vegas.

How wonderful that you are now in charge of deciding what laws should be enforced.

How wonderful that you are now in charge of deciding what laws should be enforced.

I dont recall reading any post like that.
But if a jaywalking incident ends up in people injured, at what point do you suppose something went wrong?
The officer was clearly out of his ability to handle the situation, which was a tough one. I wouldn't suspend him but I would see he got better training.
Of course, this being the internet, he should have grabbed the "gage" in his cruiser and opened fire.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back