When I was a Kid..........................

When I was a kid we hung out in the dunes and in the coastal forests all summer long. I never wore shoes. We played a game called "beddie-bye" where you'd climb high up into the rhododendrons, then jump into the underbrush and yell 'BEDDIE BYE!" and the underbrush would catch you like a net. Well, most of the time.

When I was a kid I bought a horse, then had to either ride my bike 10 miles in each direction to ride her on the weekends, or pay someone $10 for gas (gas guzzling cars there, and it was the 70s)

I remember hardly ever wearing shoes when running around the neighborhood.

I just always had to wash my feet with the hose before coming in the house though.

When I was a kid we hung out in the dunes and in the coastal forests all summer long. I never wore shoes. We played a game called "beddie-bye" where you'd climb high up into the rhododendrons, then jump into the underbrush and yell 'BEDDIE BYE!" and the underbrush would catch you like a net. Well, most of the time.

When I was a kid I bought a horse, then had to either ride my bike 10 miles in each direction to ride her on the weekends, or pay someone $10 for gas (gas guzzling cars there, and it was the 70s)

sounds fun....i reminded me of when we used to play ball tag up in the branches of a grove of redwood trees....we had ziplines between the trees and used to climb out on the branches and ride them .... drooping from branch to branch.... down to the ground ....amzing no one got hurt....other than the kid that jumped for the zip line handel and missed....

Ravi's thread, and Mani's posts, inspired this thread.

When I was a kid I ______________________________________________.

The lowest price for a gallon of gas I ever saw was $0.249 in Burien, Washington.

I remember my Father getting steak knives with every fill up.

That always struck me as odd. What's the connection between gas and dinnerware?

Both are dangerous 'manly' things, like a barbeque grill.

we played army against other kids with bb guns and fire crackers.....
QUOTE]

My older brother closest to me in age used to wait til me and my friends were outside in the clubhouse or in the middle of the backyard.

On the days he felt generous, we got it from the paintball gun.

On other days it was the Red Ryder BB gun. I'm sure you remember the type. You can throw like 3 zillion BBs in the underside of the barrel and shoot for an hour.

And the fireworks! Even though we live in Illinois where the cool fireworks are illegal, we still went to Missouri or Indiana every summer around the 4th of July. My brother and I would save up for months and have maybe $100-$150 apiece to just blow on whatever we wanted.

90% of what we bought was roman candles and black-cats. We'd take the black-cats and hot glue a bunch together, then glue the wicks also.

He and I used to have wars with roman candles and black-cat grenades. Its a wonder we never killed each other.

My older brother closest to me in age used to wait til me and my friends were outside in the clubhouse or in the middle of the backyard.

On other days it was the Red Ryder BB gun. I'm sure you remember the type. You can throw like 3 zillion BBs in the underside of the barrel and shoot for an hour.

And the fireworks! Even though we live in Illinois where the cool fireworks are illegal, we still went to Missouri or Indiana every summer around the 4th of July. My brother and I would save up for months and have maybe $100-$150 apiece to just blow on whatever we wanted.

90% of what we bought was roman candles and black-cats. We'd take the black-cats and hot glue a bunch together, then glue the wicks also.

He and I used to have wars with roman candles and black-cat grenades. Its a wonder we never killed each other.

Sounds like my childhood. And don't forget ant hills. God made ant hills for boys to destroy.

Speaking of my brother, the worst fist fights I got in were with him.

My mom used to come home after coaching softball or track, and sometimes we'd be bruised from our latest battle.

We never ratted each other out :)

Mom laughs about that to this day. Like she didnt figure it out, lmao

When I was a kid I wrote a Halloween story for school about Jason and Freddy coming to my elementary school and killing a bunch of students. I wasn't arrested, no psychological evaluations were ordered, and I got an A.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a car that he propelled using his feet.

Ah...the good ol' days!

Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

I wrote every waking moment as a kid. I wrote cartoons, books, etc.
Also had a collection of little toy animals, and made houses for them out of shoe boxes and such, with little tvs in them and we called it "Animal town". My brother and I played that for years. Every animal had a name and a personality and it's own special voice, there were families and dramas and the whole nine yards, what a hoot.

We also played in the creeks all summer long, and knew where things were in the dunes and on the creek that nobody else knew about. We knew where otters and beavers lived, and where there was a dam that nobody else knew about because nobody else went as deep into the woods as we did.

When we were around 12 my brother got his first shot gun, and mom would drop us off with our puppy to bird hunt, we never shot anything (there really was no upland game there, and we weren't hunting waterfowl) but had a blast.

Really there was no better place to grow up as a kid. No poisonous snakes, the weather is always moderate, except for the wind of course, hardly ever freezes, summers are cool, the ground is soft and green, moss, loam or sand. No cougars, lots of creeks, the ocean a mile away.

But the winters are very, very different...winds of 100 mph are nothing, huge seas, gray and rainy (and we're talking SHEETS of rain) every single day for weeks on end. Mist and fog and gloom...it makes for a different mentality. When I visit, I can feel myself changing back into a coastal person when we hit the coastal range.

Sounds like my childhood. And don't forget ant hills. God made ant hills for boys to destroy.

ah........a can of right guard and a bic lighter......

when I was a kid I could tie most any knot and light a fire with hardly anything. Do you think I could do that today? :lol:

when I was a kid I could tie most any knot and light a fire with hardly anything. Do you think I could do that today? :lol:

No, but I bet you can roll a joint and light a bong faster than anyone on here! :lol:

No, but I bet you can roll a joint and light a bong faster than anyone on here! :lol:

maybe I know of one guy on here who might be able to make a run for my money though!:lol:
I do think I could make a Sobe bong faster than anyone on here though!:razz:

Last edited:
We had simple birthday parties. Hats, balloons, pin the tail on the donkey and ice cream and cake. No clowns, themes, magicians or adults to mess things up.

We had no games, other than Operation, that had electricity coursing through them.

We watched Paul Shannon's Adventure Time after school. Occasionally, you could see a class mate in the studio audience if their Cub Scout pack or Brownie group was there.

I got models I had to assemble with hazardous airplane glue. It never occurred to me or anyone else to huff the glue for a buzz.

The Shriners threw candy from floats in the parades. Today, they won't for fear some kid will jump out and get hit by the float. As far as I can recall, that never happened.

We could trick-or-treat until 9:00 or 9:30. Today it's an hour from 6:00 to 7:00. Folks gave out popcorn balls and apples and no one ever caught a needle or razor in the mouth.

remember Reading Rainbow, Square One, and 3 2 1 contact? I loved that shit!

And speaking of birthday I think my best birthday was held in my backyard and my neighbors owned a Jack in the Box franchise here and the neighbor girl dressed up as Jack back when he was a clown for my birthday. I remember almost pissing my pants I was so excited!

ah........a can of right guard and a bic lighter......

I was a can of aqua net kid, myself.

remember Reading Rainbow, Square One, and 3 2 1 contact? I loved that shit!

And speaking of birthday I think my best birthday was held in my backyard and my neighbors owned a Jack in the Box franchise here and the neighbor girl dressed up as Jack back when he was a clown for my birthday. I remember almost pissing my pants I was so excited!

Kids Incorporated.

I believe my 4th birthday party was at a McDonalds.

Forum List

Back