When Homo's find God.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by AtlasShrieked, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The lawyer who who wrote the commentary I quote and link to ---{I will explain below.} --- titled her Piece:

The Virginia Supreme Court Enforces Vermont's Custody and Visitation Order Regarding a Same-Sex Couple's Child: Why an Anti-Same-Sex-Marriage State Recognized a Same-Sex Union For This

I would've titled it:

When Christian Homos break their sacred marriage vows and the law: Either all marriage vows are sacred or they are not because marriage is a sacred institution.

...read the commentary on the case and then see if you can make a reasonable and rational argument as to why you agree or disagree with the Virginia Court.
    :cool:

2. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    What a mess. Poor kid.

As for the Virginia Court of Appeals ruling, it seemed a pretty straightforward application of the federal law. The child was born in Vermont to residents of Vermont, and had not long been out of Vermont, so it makes sense to me go with Vermont's custody ruling.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I read your synopsis, though I couldn't open the link.

It seems to me that here, the issue of the legality of the marriage wasn't before the Court. I could be wrong, but it seems that Lisa, who sued for divorce, wasn't then claiming that the marriage was void or voidable.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    let me amplify... sometimes we read too quickly... lol...

IMO, the appellate court in Virginia had no jurisdiction to re-litigate the issue already determined by the Vermont Court.

5. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the link?

are you legally blind too? are you color blind?

FindLaw's Writ - Grossman: The Virginia Supreme Court Enforces Vermont's Custody and Visitation Order Regarding a Same-Sex Couple's Child: Why an Anti-Same-Sex-Marriage State Recognized a Same-Sex Union For This Purpose was attached to the words in blue: I will explain below

marriage being void or voidable? that was in vermont.

the case in Virginia was about parental rights/custody.
    Joanna Grossman, a FindLaw columnist, is a professor of law at Hofstra University. Her columns on family law, trusts and estates, and discrimination, including sex discrimination and sexual harassment, may be found in the archive of her columns on this site.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I know that was in Vermont. My point, inartfully though it may have been made, was that it was res judicata in VERMONT and Virginia had no jurisdiction to revisit it. The case apparently fell under the uniform cusody acts and couldn't then be overturned by another State once the decision was properly made in the home jurisdication. And in opening the link, which I was FINALLY able to get opened, it seems I was pretty close. ;o)

As for the link, I said I couldn't open it, not that I couldn't see it. ;o)

And no, I'm not color blind. Color blindness is generally a trait linked to the Y Chromosome and I don't have one of those. ;oP