When does life begin?

I am not sure when life begins. I guess it probably starts when the 'soul' enters the body. I am going with when the soul enters the body because any biological definition of life is well - too indefinite. I do not know when the soul and body are intertwined, though. My gut feeling is at birth.

elephant said:
I am not sure when life begins. I guess it probably starts when the 'soul' enters the body. I am going with when the soul enters the body because any biological definition of life is well - too indefinite. I do not know when the soul and body are intertwined, though. My gut feeling is at birth.

But the moment of the soul entering the body is concrete enough for you? Life is at least verifiable through standard means: observation of growth, heartbeat etc. The rationale given for your conclusion doesn't support the conclusion.

elephant said:

If you are not sure wouldn't it be more logical to err on the side of caution rather than going with your "gut feeling"?

elephant said:

begin....

When does a person begin talking? Certainly not while they are silent?

When does a person begin walking? Certainly not while they are standing still?

When does a car start rolling? Certainly not while it is parked?

When does life begin ..... at the moment it starts

at what moment does it start? ..... Certainly it does not start before the egg is fertilized that is for damn sure ....

so it would follow that once the egg is fertilized then life starts its journey until it is ended.....

it is inherently wrong to kill living things .... Unfortunately people do it all the time .... Sometimes on purpose ... sometimes on accident .... sometimes for good reasons and sometimes not ....

People should not do thing to hurt other people and people should not tell other people how to run their lives ...

nuf said

Bullypulpit said:
You can't "murder" an undifferentiated mass of cells.

This is simply a way to justify sacrificing life for the convenience of others. That "undifferentiated mass of cells" is the progeny of humans, regardless of the stage of development. It is alive and deserves the same chance as all other life, the simple chance of survival and protection until it has its own voice.

Rather than being relegated to the drawer of "non-living" because the development is not far enough along to satisfy a political view and redefined as "not-human" (much like the Dred Scott hearings, except it is easier with this life as it has no voice to defend itself at this moment in time) when it is clearly living by all scientific definitions, and the progeny of humans as well by scientific definitions.

Forum List

Back