When does a movie review become a political Ad...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Why its when its done by the "impartial" member of the LMM, MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5457032/site/newsweek/

Conspiracy Redux
Remaking a great thriller sounds crazy? See 'The Manchurian Candidate.' An exclusive look at summer's dark surprise.

Ken Regan
Schreiber's character saved his patrol and won the Medal of Honor ... or did he?
By Sean Smith
NewsweekJuly 26 issue - Just a minute ago we were talking about "The Manchurian Candidate," her political thriller coming out next week, but somehow Meryl Streep has veered off on her own little "Rock the Vote" tour. "Something like 35 percent of the population who can vote, doesn't," she says. "Now, if you told those people what clothes they had to put on, they'd be mad. If you told them what kind of car they had to drive—or what they had to eat for dinner—they wouldn't stand for it. But somebody is deciding what they eat and what they breathe and all that stuff..." Pause. "I'm on a rant, aren't I?" A little. Maybe we could get back to the "thriller" part. "Well, the movie has something to say, but it's mostly interested in scaring the bejesus out of you."

In the wake of Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," this revamp of the 1962 classic starring Frank Sinatra feels more chilling than it would have just two months ago. Denzel Washington stars as Capt. Ben Marco, a veteran of the first gulf war plagued by nightmares of torture and murder, and haunted by the sense that his memory has been altered. While in the gulf, a member of his patrol, Sgt. Raymond Shaw (Liev Schreiber), had apparently saved the entire troop from enemy attack—and won the Medal of Honor for it—but did he really? When Shaw, with the help of his senator mother (Streep), becomes the vice presidential nominee, Marco begins to suspect that a shadowy multinational corporation, Manchurian Global, is pulling the strings and is about to put its war-hero puppet in the Oval Office. "I don't think there's anything more farfetched about this than what we're reading in newspapers today," says director Jonathan Demme, who terrified the country 13 years ago with "The Silence of the Lambs." "Whether it's the latest article about Halliburton or Bechtel or the Carlyle Group, there's a lot of dubious activity going on. Billions of dollars are being made and, yes, lives are being lost. But what's most disturbing about the intersection of big business, big science and big government is that we absorb all this information and go, 'Oh, gosh, that's spooky!' And we don't seem to do anything about it."
continued in link above

Yes not even a movie review of a sci-fi thriller can be devoid of Anti-Bush rhetoric in it.

When I saw previews of that, I was wondering if that was the case. The preview wasn't very long and I couldn't tell all that much from it, but I thought it might have some political overtones that some people might relate to current events.

insein said:
Why its when its done by the "impartial" member of the LMM, MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5457032/site/newsweek/

Yes not even a movie review of a sci-fi thriller can be devoid of Anti-Bush rhetoric in it.

Personally I'm more scared by the reports of Joe Wilson lying and the media making a hero out of him, (Read: The Nation, MSNBC). The former gave him a 10k award for truth telling; MSNBC has been running a contest in Slate, to put him on a cruise as a guest speaker. In a one week period, where he appeared on over 30 outlets and interviews, claiming that, "Bush lied!" and the he, Mr. Wilson, was the 'truth seeker' and the media never questioned him. If the media won't check the stories of this calibre, which they are using as 'sources', that allow the deception above to happen, why should anyone be surprised when they let Meryl Streep use such a venue for her political take? Doesn't anyone remember that she cost the apple industry millions with the debunked Alar scare?

The big media has lost any semblance of understanding between news, reporting, and editorializing. :finger: To the media!

Well, from the sound of it, this remake comes by it's political slant honestly. The villians here are greedy corporations (read: Republicans). In the original, the villian was a Joe McCarthy-type politician (read: Republicans). It never stops with these Hollywood assholes.

Forum List

Back