When Does A Band Cease Being THE Band

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
Got to thinking about this after seeing The Who To Play At Superbowl Thread.

Are the Who still the Who without Moon and Entwhistle? Some people tend to see the lead songwriter as the carrier of the torch and as long as they are still there, the band is the band.

I was a huge Guns n Roses fan back in the day, but when Izzy left, they were no longer GnR. And they are definitely not GnR now, especially without Duff and Slash.

But then again, if John Fogerty started touring as CCR without his brother (well, he's dead I think) and the other two guys, I'd still consider them to be CCR.

Then again Black Sabbath, did they stop being BS when Ozzy left?

hhhmmm

Hard to say, but its a valid question.

The Who still had huge albums after Keith Moon, but not since Entwistle passed away.

For me the Who is really Pete & Roger though.

Depends on the band.

The Doors obviously ceased to be the Doors when Morrison died.

IMO, Pink Floyd without Waters isn't Pink Floyd

I think Zeppelin could have continued with a new drummer and still been Zeppelin. Obviously they disagreed.

IMO, AC/DC certainly continued being AC/DC with Brian Johnson.

Heck, Alice in Chains made a new album a year or two ago without Layne Staley. Haven't heard it tho.

The most bastardized band continuation ever is Lynard Skynard.

Are the Who still the Who without Moon and Entwhistle? Some people tend to see the lead songwriter as the carrier of the torch and as long as they are still there, the band is the band.

I was a huge Guns n Roses fan back in the day, but when Izzy left, they were no longer GnR. And they are definitely not GnR now, especially without Duff and Slash.

But then again, if John Fogerty started touring as CCR without his brother (well, he's dead I think) and the other two guys, I'd still consider them to be CCR.

hhhmmm

I don't know how CCR was ever famous in the first place so there's not a chance in Hell Id see Fogerty solo.

The Who without Moon and Entwhistle is more like the Guess Who, wait a sec, that's already a band name, well you get the idea, it would be like The Mothers without Frank Zappa

Led Zep without Bonham was no longer Led Zep.

Blackmore was Deep Purple no matter how many times they try to reform without him.

hhhmmm

i agree.....i felt when Bon Scott died so did AC/DC.....the new guy is a poor imitation....when Duane Allman died....so did his band....and CCR would still be CCR in the scenario you describe,because John was the band....without John you get a CCR cover band....Lynyrd Skynyrd is another example....the Doors without Morrison....it goes on....but to some people having the original drummer,means its still the band....

hhhmmm
when they're all dead.

Depends on the band.

The Doors obviously ceased to be the Doors when Morrison died.

IMO, Pink Floyd without Waters isn't Pink Floyd

I think Zeppelin could have continued with a new drummer and still been Zeppelin. Obviously they disagreed.

IMO, AC/DC certainly continued being AC/DC with Brian Johnson.

Heck, Alice in Chains made a new album a year or two ago without Layne Staley. Haven't heard it tho.

The most bastardized band continuation ever is Lynard Skynard.

I agree with everything you said but about Pink Floyd. I think they were still Pink Floyd.

I think that AC/DC is perhaps the best band of all time to go on and be successful after losing one of the core pieces of their band.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAg1-bGMhY[/ame]

Forum List

Back