When Did?

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
When did economic ignorance and complete naivete in world affairs become a legitimate worldview? I'm talking about libs, of course.

When did this happen that we allowed a whole generation of people to spout communist rhetoric without some elders stepping in and saying "Wait, this if fucked up!"

rtwngAvngr said:
When did economic ignorance and complete naivete in world affairs become a legitimate worldview? I'm talking about libs, of course.

When did this happen that we allowed a whole generation of people to spout communist rhetoric without some elders stepping in and saying "Wait, this if fucked up!"
It all started with the Flower Children. Just my opinion.

Anyone old enough to remember the late sixties.... what did you think as the hippies were rising up? And you can admit if you were one. I used to think I was a lib until I tuned in to Rush, turned on, and dropped out.

rtwngAvngr said:
Anyone old enough to remember the late sixties.... what did you think as the hippies were rising up? And you can admit if you were one. I used to think I was a lib until I tuned in to Rush, turned on, and dropped out.
Late sixties is when I was visiting foriegn countries, meeting the indiginous population and killing their babies....

Funny thing is, a couple of years ago I met a fellow who was a die hard hippie. We got along great and he is now one of my tight circle of friends.

CSM said:
Late sixties is when I was visiting foriegn countries, meeting the indiginous population and killing their babies....

Funny thing is, a couple of years ago I met a fellow who was a die hard hippie. We got along great and he is now one of my tight circle of friends.

So when you would see these punks bad mouthing america did it make you mad?

In a sick way, I would love to read that John Kerry got mob-stomped by a bunch of vets over his lies.

rtwngAvngr said:
So when you would see these punks bad mouthing america did it make you mad?

It made me sad more than mad. A lot of my high school friends turned into "liberals" during that time. When we finally got together, it was like we were living on two different planets. Our common interests were gone and I found that being in thier company was very awkward, to say the least. My impression was that they were more interested in getting and using a variety of drugs, bashing the government (in particular the military), and looking for the "easy" way out of political and global issues. We parted ways rather rapidly after that. I also could not stande their "holier than thou" attitude. Since most of them went to some very (at the time) liberal colleges, they quickly acquired a very arrogant attitude towards anyone not as enlightened as they and obviously not as "educated" as they were. Somethings don't change much.

CSM said:
It made me sad more than mad. A lot of my high school friends turned into "liberals" during that time. When we finally got together, it was like we were living on two different planets. Our common interests were gone and I found that being in thier company was very awkward, to say the least. My impression was that they were more interested in getting and using a variety of drugs, bashing the government (in particular the military), and looking for the "easy" way out of political and global issues. We parted ways rather rapidly after that. I also could not stande their "holier than thou" attitude. Since most of them went to some very (at the time) liberal colleges, they quickly acquired a very arrogant attitude towards anyone not as enlightened as they and obviously not as "educated" as they were. Somethings don't change much.

Yep. I've experienced this. I have lost friendships over the war. Libs get really mean and nasty when they realize they're wrong. Then you're the bad guy.

CSM said:
It all started with the Flower Children. Just my opinion.

I resemble that remark....I know it doesnt matter, but I do think that there is a bit too much liberal bashing here. I hate the labels but I will be a liberal flower child here for just a few minutes.

Some of us from the 60's were genuinely convinced that we could change the world. We thought we were right and you were wrong and that you would see the error of your ways, it was so obvious to us. WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE UP AGAINST!
Flower children:
We did not change the world but we did loosen things up a little bit.....
when I went to school little girls HAD to wear skirts/dresses, (lady teachers had to wear dresses too and men suits) now you can wear just about anything, anywear.....boys could not have long hair, long was over an inch, now you can wear your hair anyway you want and any color you want it, boys with earrings, unheard of, health foods were debunked as nonsense, now healthy eating and the availability of organic and vegan foods is commonplace. We celebrated our music at be-ins at the park, alot of the freedom of expression you enjoy (or hate) is because of our distain for censorship. We brought about other changes too, but I think more important was the idea of change itself. Things had gotten awfully stuffy.

Liberals:
We opened up a whole bunch of issues nobody really wanted to look at. The blinders on attitude of the 50's was over, what was all the secrecy for....our government is now more accountable to us, we supported the civil rights movement which promised equality to all citizens (still a work in progress)
we demanded enviornmental policies to curb both pollution and exploitation of the land, we marched in the streets to end an unjust and unwinnable war in vietnam, ending the killing way too late for way too many (thats a long wall they had to build for all the names), we fought for the rights of victims and the accused, which many dont like, but it is a cornerstone of our free country.
Freedom does in fact demand alot from its benefitters, tolerance, wisdom, and fairness. You may not agree with all their causes but certainly everyone in some way benefits in one way or another. There is still much work to do.

Many flower children and liberals have given in to the reservations that living brings and have forgotten their dreams and youthful exuberance. I am proud of my labels and carry on the tradition.....I was a part of our country's history that I think brought about some positive change in attitudes. I hope that the youth of today can find some wonderful things to celebrate and continue to demand their rights in their pusuit of happiness.

Just a short message about drugs, yeh we used them, pot, lsd, mescaline, peyote, and some went for speed, heroin and later cocaine...alcohol was always in the mix for some. I know drug use ruined alot of lives.....careless, dependent, and irresponsible behavior is best controlled by education and honest open discussions, not by laws.

rtwngAvngr said:

When did you turn into the right's answer to Bullypulpit?

Some of us from the 60's were genuinely convinced that we could change the world. We thought we were right and you were wrong and that you would see the error of your ways, it was so obvious to us. WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE UP AGAINST!

Problem is you did change the world. You almost destroyed this nation during the 70s and plunged the world into the darkness of the communist death machine. 21 million people died because the United States pulled out of Southeast Asia. And we pulled out because of traitors at home undermining our effort.

boys could not have long hair, long was over an inch, now you can wear your hair anyway you want and any color you want it, boys with earrings, unheard of, health foods were debunked as nonsense, now healthy eating and the availability of organic and vegan foods is commonplace.

Men have had long hair for thousands of years. How on earth did you change that? How the heck do boys having earings benefit society? Besides which men had earings for centuries too. They were the mark of pirates.

As for the health foods, you guys really that arrogant to think you had anything to do with that? There were health food crazes back in the 1800s. And contrary to your beliefs, organic and vegan foods aren't any more healthy then any other food. The only reason there is a market for organic food and vegan food is that there are people willing to pay higher prices for food the think is healthier. All of this is basic knowledge from a Nutrition 101 course.

We celebrated our music at be-ins at the park, alot of the freedom of expression you enjoy (or hate) is because of our distain for censorship. We brought about other changes too, but I think more important was the idea of change itself. Things had gotten awfully stuffy.

You've never been censored. How on earth do you protest your distain for censorship by exercising already given free speech rights in a society that protects those rights? if you want to protest censorship do it in China or N. Korea and then maybe you can change society for the better.

We opened up a whole bunch of issues nobody really wanted to look at. The blinders on attitude of the 50's was over, what was all the secrecy for....our government is now more accountable to us, we supported the civil rights movement which promised equality to all citizens (still a work in progress)

BS. If was the left that opposed the Civil Rights movement. Civil rights legislation would have been impossible if it werent for strong Conservative support. BS that the government is more accountable because of you guys. you guys have been trying to errode the Checks and balances in this system for the past 50 years. What the heck do you think limitations on campaign contributions are? What do you think the attack on the so called "Special interest" groups are? If you cared at all about government being accountable to the people you would have been outraged at the liberal judges in the Florida Supreme Court violating state law to give Al Gore as many recounts as he wanted to steal the election, you would have been outraged at Democrat attempts to drop the Torch and put Lautenburg up for reelection in New Jersey contrary to law and the voice of the people, you would have been outraged at activists judges in Massachusetts forcing gay marriage on the people and youd be outraged at San Fran Mayor for violating the law created by people and forcing gay marriage onto the state there. But you dont give one wit about accountability, nor civil rights. you care only about your own power. Which is why people are rebelling against you.

we demanded enviornmental policies to curb both pollution and exploitation of the land, we marched in the streets to end an unjust and unwinnable war in vietnam, ending the killing way too late for way too many (thats a long wall they had to build for all the names),

Vietnam was neither unjust nor unwinnable. Because of your actions 21 million died. You didnt stop the killing. you stopped the brave men and women who were preventing the slaughtering of innocent people.

You may honestly believe this but its still BS. all the antiwar movement of the sixties was was a pro Communist movement. Hell it still is a pro communist movement. Thats what liberalism is, its a stepping stone the communist trash marx preached. And the only reason it had any success was because of the mainstream media monopoly being held by liberals. And the reason its not succeeding today is because the left does not hold a monopoly. people are free to debate the issue and liberal debates lose. The environmental movement is the exact same. its nothing but a home for anti capitalist communists who want to overthrow the system for their communist utopia. They are just good at hooking people in by appealing to their emotions.

Just a short message about drugs, yeh we used them, pot, lsd, mescaline, peyote, and some went for speed, heroin and later cocaine...alcohol was always in the mix for some. I know drug use ruined alot of lives.....careless, dependent, and irresponsible behavior is best controlled by education and honest open discussions, not by laws.

Drug use doesnt ruin alot of lives. it ruins every life it touches. I guess eating organic foods isnt going to matter much when your brain is fried from drugs is it?

Many flower children and liberals have given in to the reservations that living brings and have forgotten their dreams and youthful exuberance. I am proud of my labels and carry on the tradition.....I was a part of our country's history that I think brought about some positive change in attitudes. I hope that the youth of today can find some wonderful things to celebrate and continue to demand their rights in their pusuit of happiness.

What positive changes? There havent been any because of your movement. Name one positive change?

Ironically youth of today can find some wonderful things to celebrate. we are celebrating freedom. We love it. We celebrate virtue. We celebrate honor and duty. We celebrate taking responsibility for oneself and judging people based on their actions rather than outward apperances. We celebrate our faith in God. We are willing to fight for our rights. We are willing to die so that others may have those rights. Which is why we oppose everything liberalism stands for. You can call it whatever you want. Liberalism, progressive, etc. its still the flawed marxist ideals. Its still the system that is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions of people. We wont let it continue into the next century.

rtwngAvngr said:

When did this happen that we allowed a whole generation of people to spout communist rhetoric without some elders stepping in and saying "Wait, this if f!@#d up!"

You mean, libs always wanting us to please the world and "reach out to International Community?? Beats the heck outta me. Just remember that the same kids who wore their hair long, smoked pot, listened to Led Zeppelin and got naked at that Woodstock fesival are now faithful Kerry supporters!!! :D

You need to lighten up. First of all, I am not a communist, never was. Actually we've moved on, havent you heard, the new enemy is the islamic terrorist. I havent joined up with them either.
Your determination to standardize a liberal into a neat little ball of s*** is full of flaws. It scares me but I bet I could even agree with you on some issue, maybe. Im sure most people have considered liberal and conservative sides on many issues and dont always adhere to any predetermined characterization.. I think one such issue is the right to bear arms....lib and cons on both sides, but there are many. We hear the terms social conservative, fiscal liberal, applied to the same person.

This brings us back to the real topic of this post......economic ignorance or naivity regarding world affairs. I think there is plenty of this to go around. There are intelligent and good willed people working from both sides who want to keep our country strong, free, and independent. Dont discount them just because they see a different way to work thru problems along the way.

sagegirl said:
You need to lighten up. First of all, I am not a communist, never was. Actually we've moved on, havent you heard, the new enemy is the islamic terrorist. I havent joined up with them either.

Never said you were communists. i lumped you with the small minority of people persuaded by their bs. Read David Horowitz someday. He is one of the men who started the 60s hippie revolution. He also had enough honesty to admit when he had it wrong and has been fighting against it since he saw it for what it was.

We were fighting Islamic terrorists for centuries, sadly we will probably be facing communists as well for a while. While we may be resuming our primary effort on the Islamo fascists that doesnt mean we are going to let our guard down to the left. When you end your efforts to overthrow freedom in favor of government controled everything then the war will be over but as long as the left continues to support communists, be funded by communists and nominate communist wannabes for President the battle with communism wont be over. Despite our victory over the USSR. Especially if Putin is really trying to resurrect the soviet empire.

Your determination to standardize a liberal into a neat little ball of s*** is full of flaws. It scares me but I bet I could even agree with you on some issue, maybe. Im sure most people have considered liberal and conservative sides on many issues and dont always adhere to any predetermined characterization.. I think one such issue is the right to bear arms....lib and cons on both sides, but there are many. We hear the terms social conservative, fiscal liberal, applied to the same person.

In all honesty if the liberals werent so far off the plantation to the left id probably be considered a moderate as most republicans would. After all Mainstream America is right of the so called center. However, i know the roots of the 60s movement. I know how it was created because ive done research in the leaders of the new left. The fact that so many people fell for that BS scares the crap out of me. Liberalism in any form has failed because it is based on flaws.

This brings us back to the real topic of this post......economic ignorance or naivity regarding world affairs. I think there is plenty of this to go around. There are intelligent and good willed people working from both sides who want to keep our country strong, free, and independent. Dont discount them just because they see a different way to work thru problems along the way.

I dont discount people who are rational, well thought out. I asked you to support some of your claims you havent really address any of it though. What issues did you bring to the for front? What positive changes did the 60s hippie movement have on America? What real issues did it bring to the forefront of America? How did betraying south east asia to the communists help the world? How does allowing men to pierce their ears (though as i pointed out men did prior to that) benefit mankind? How does convincing people they need to spend more money on food products that are no more healthy than others benefit society at all?

sagegirl said:
I resemble that remark....I know it doesnt matter, but I do think that there is a bit too much liberal bashing here. I hate the labels but I will be a liberal flower child here for just a few minutes.

Flower children:
We did not change the world but we did loosen things up a little bit.....
when I went to school little girls HAD to wear skirts/dresses, (lady teachers had to wear dresses too and men suits) now you can wear just about anything, anywear.....boys could not have long hair, long was over an inch, now you can wear your hair anyway you want and any color you want it, boys with earrings, unheard of, health foods were debunked as nonsense, now healthy eating and the availability of organic and vegan foods is commonplace. We celebrated our music at be-ins at the park, alot of the freedom of expression you enjoy (or hate) is because of our distain for censorship. We brought about other changes too, but I think more important was the idea of change itself. Things had gotten awfully stuffy.

Liberals:
we demanded enviornmental policies to curb both pollution and exploitation of the land, we marched in the streets to end an unjust and unwinnable war in vietnam, ending the killing way too late for way too many (thats a long wall they had to build for all the names), we fought for the rights of victims and the accused, which many dont like, but it is a cornerstone of our free country.
Freedom does in fact demand alot from its benefitters, tolerance, wisdom, and fairness. You may not agree with all their causes but certainly everyone in some way benefits in one way or another. There is still much work to do.

wow...it was a small joke...*sheesh*. I dont blame the "flower children" anymore than I blame Black Panthers or the Moromons.

The reservations that living brings is called "reality". Just so ya know.

Never said you were communists. i lumped you with the small minority of people persuaded by their bs. Read David Horowitz someday. He is one of the men who started the 60s hippie revolution. He also had enough honesty to admit when he had it wrong and has been fighting against it since he saw it for what it was.

We were fighting Islamic terrorists for centuries, sadly we will probably be facing communists as well for a while. While we may be resuming our primary effort on the Islamo fascists that doesnt mean we are going to let our guard down to the left. When you end your efforts to overthrow freedom in favor of government controled everything then the war will be over but as long as the left continues to support communists, be funded by communists and nominate communist wannabes for President the battle with communism wont be over. Despite our victory over the USSR. Especially if Putin is really trying to resurrect the soviet empire.

In all honesty if the liberals werent so far off the plantation to the left id probably be considered a moderate as most republicans would. After all Mainstream America is right of the so called center. However, i know the roots of the 60s movement. I know how it was created because ive done research in the leaders of the new left. The fact that so many people fell for that BS scares the crap out of me. Liberalism in any form has failed because it is based on flaws.

I dont discount people who are rational, well thought out. I asked you to support some of your claims you havent really address any of it though. What issues did you bring to the for front? What positive changes did the 60s hippie movement have on America? What real issues did it bring to the forefront of America? How did betraying south east asia to the communists help the world? How does allowing men to pierce their ears (though as i pointed out men did prior to that) benefit mankind? How does convincing people they need to spend more money on food products that are no more healthy than others benefit society at all?

I gave some suggestions of positive influences the 60's counter culture had, and you used them for target practice....so I'll just keep dodging bullets here with a couple more ideas. I think the idea of ending the military draft was a
good thing, I think the anti war (anti nuclear proliferation) movement was and continues to be a good thing. I think the right to choose is a good thing. I think that we had some fun along the way, and earned you some of the tolerance that is now taken for granted, and scourned by some.....we turned the world on to some really new music and art, if you werent there you dont realize how controversial this stuff was.......censorship WAS a bigtime issue.
Im not certain every opportunity produced positive results (exploiters)but thats like blaming the messenger. Contrary to what you believe, healthy food does not necessarily cost more, and organic farms have shown that the use of organic fertilizers, and other organic practices produces crops that are more drought tolerant, with less insect damage (using natural predators) , with less soil depletion, and they are actually cheaper to run than the farms that have to buy chemical fertilizers, chemical insecticides and have crop failures in drought or other unexpected weather fluctuations.
I dont claim all these advances came directly from the 60's but the 60's brought about a mood for change. Life is change, the pendulum now swings in a different direction, and the ball is in your court , lets see what you are
able to accomplish.

sagegirl said:
Life is change, the pendulum now swings in a different direction, and the ball is in your court , lets see what you are
able to accomplish.
So you feel you have done your part and will no longer participate???

Just teasing, kid.

sagegirl said:
I think the idea of ending the military draft was a
good thing,
Nixon ended the draft.

sg said:
I think the anti war (anti nuclear proliferation) movement was and continues to be a good thing.
Pacifism gives hope to the enemy.

And it wasn't nuclear proliferation, that's what the Republicans are trying to do now, while Democrats gave nuclear technology to the North Koreans, and Sen. Kerry advocated giving it to the Iranians.

You mean unilateral disarmament on our part, while communism spread.

That wasn't a good idea.

New Topics

Forum List

Back