When Did?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rtwngAvngr, Dec 6, 2004.

1. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    When did economic ignorance and complete naivete in world affairs become a legitimate worldview? I'm talking about libs, of course.

When did this happen that we allowed a whole generation of people to spout communist rhetoric without some elders stepping in and saying "Wait, this if fucked up!"

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It all started with the Flower Children. Just my opinion.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Those damn hippies!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Anyone old enough to remember the late sixties.... what did you think as the hippies were rising up? And you can admit if you were one. I used to think I was a lib until I tuned in to Rush, turned on, and dropped out.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Late sixties is when I was visiting foriegn countries, meeting the indiginous population and killing their babies....

Funny thing is, a couple of years ago I met a fellow who was a die hard hippie. We got along great and he is now one of my tight circle of friends.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    So when you would see these punks bad mouthing america did it make you mad?

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    In a sick way, I would love to read that John Kerry got mob-stomped by a bunch of vets over his lies.

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It made me sad more than mad. A lot of my high school friends turned into "liberals" during that time. When we finally got together, it was like we were living on two different planets. Our common interests were gone and I found that being in thier company was very awkward, to say the least. My impression was that they were more interested in getting and using a variety of drugs, bashing the government (in particular the military), and looking for the "easy" way out of political and global issues. We parted ways rather rapidly after that. I also could not stande their "holier than thou" attitude. Since most of them went to some very (at the time) liberal colleges, they quickly acquired a very arrogant attitude towards anyone not as enlightened as they and obviously not as "educated" as they were. Somethings don't change much.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Yep. I've experienced this. I have lost friendships over the war. Libs get really mean and nasty when they realize they're wrong. Then you're the bad guy.

10. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I resemble that remark....I know it doesnt matter, but I do think that there is a bit too much liberal bashing here. I hate the labels but I will be a liberal flower child here for just a few minutes.

Some of us from the 60's were genuinely convinced that we could change the world. We thought we were right and you were wrong and that you would see the error of your ways, it was so obvious to us. WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE UP AGAINST!
    Flower children:
    We did not change the world but we did loosen things up a little bit.....
    when I went to school little girls HAD to wear skirts/dresses, (lady teachers had to wear dresses too and men suits) now you can wear just about anything, anywear.....boys could not have long hair, long was over an inch, now you can wear your hair anyway you want and any color you want it, boys with earrings, unheard of, health foods were debunked as nonsense, now healthy eating and the availability of organic and vegan foods is commonplace. We celebrated our music at be-ins at the park, alot of the freedom of expression you enjoy (or hate) is because of our distain for censorship. We brought about other changes too, but I think more important was the idea of change itself. Things had gotten awfully stuffy.

Liberals:
    We opened up a whole bunch of issues nobody really wanted to look at. The blinders on attitude of the 50's was over, what was all the secrecy for....our government is now more accountable to us, we supported the civil rights movement which promised equality to all citizens (still a work in progress)
    we demanded enviornmental policies to curb both pollution and exploitation of the land, we marched in the streets to end an unjust and unwinnable war in vietnam, ending the killing way too late for way too many (thats a long wall they had to build for all the names), we fought for the rights of victims and the accused, which many dont like, but it is a cornerstone of our free country.
    Freedom does in fact demand alot from its benefitters, tolerance, wisdom, and fairness. You may not agree with all their causes but certainly everyone in some way benefits in one way or another. There is still much work to do.

Many flower children and liberals have given in to the reservations that living brings and have forgotten their dreams and youthful exuberance. I am proud of my labels and carry on the tradition.....I was a part of our country's history that I think brought about some positive change in attitudes. I hope that the youth of today can find some wonderful things to celebrate and continue to demand their rights in their pusuit of happiness.

Just a short message about drugs, yeh we used them, pot, lsd, mescaline, peyote, and some went for speed, heroin and later cocaine...alcohol was always in the mix for some. I know drug use ruined alot of lives.....careless, dependent, and irresponsible behavior is best controlled by education and honest open discussions, not by laws.