When did the GOP

become this group that has contempt for people who work?

I don't remember them being like that. I remember them as the smart/money guys... the ones who kept the 'good-hearted' dems in check and ended up with a balance between the heart and the pocketbook.

I'm flabbergasted that a political candidate can pretend that anyone who doesn't vote for him doesn't pay taxes.

I know i pay a way greater percentage of my income in taxes than mittens.

funny that.

47% don't pay Federal income taxes. He might have a point about that group voting Democratic. I can't imagine someone who pays no federal income taxes wanting to vote for a Republican. That would go contrary to simple logic. However, I haven't seen any data to back up that claim.

The first problem is that number is false. This statistic only applied to one year (2009) when unemployment hit its highest point and Congress did a lot of tax breaks to jump start it, like the Making Work Pay credit and not taxing unemployment benefits.

Second, the reason why so many end up paying no income tax is not because the money isn't taken from them (which it is) but because after they take all their deductions on Schedule A and form 1040, they end up getting most of that money back.

Third, these folks to play plenty of taxes- Social Security, Medicare, State Income Taxes, property taxes, Sales taxes. And these taxes have a greater impact on working folks than higher marginal rates do on the rich.

All things considered, I paid more in taxes as a percentage on my five figure salary than Mittens did on his 8 figure salary...

Words just can't express how badly Mitt has screwed this up, or how callow this statement sounds to most people.

I thought the idiotic statement last week about the dead ambassador was when he lost the election. Nope. I think this is.

I don't remember them being like that. I remember them as the smart/money guys... the ones who kept the 'good-hearted' dems in check and ended up with a balance between the heart and the pocketbook.

I'm flabbergasted that a political candidate can pretend that anyone who doesn't vote for him doesn't pay taxes.

funny that.

The GOP used to be about fiscal responsibility. Yes, they have always sponsored the idea of smaller government, and in doing so, they have usually held those with more liberal views somewhat in check. Over the last decade however, they have just become the party of protecting the top money earners, regardless of the cost to the deficit. Fiscal responsibility doesn't matter anymore; it's just about cutting taxes. Someone else can pay for it later down the road. Of course, any spending, whether good or bad, is the enemy; paying for things is never the problem. And yes, if it came down to it, they would throw granny out on the street if it would keep them from having to pay any taxes.

funny that.

The GOP used to be about fiscal responsibility. Yes, they have always sponsored the idea of smaller government, and in doing so, they have usually held those with more liberal views somewhat in check. Over the last decade however, they have just become the party of protecting the top money earners, regardless of the cost to the deficit. Fiscal responsibility doesn't matter anymore; it's just about cutting taxes. Someone else can pay for it later down the road. Of course, any spending, whether good or bad, is the enemy; paying for things is never the problem. And yes, if it came down to it, they would throw granny out on the street if it would keep them from having to pay any taxes.

i really am flabbergasted.

i think romney's got a huge problem going forward.

Contempt for people who work? What on earth are you smoking? We are the ones fighting for them to remain working. We are the ones keeping their jobs from going out of business. We are the ones trying to stop the government from screwing them over.

funny that.
Not many people taking government / our money to live off of are going to vote for the person that talks personal responsibility.

Good lord, that would mean they would, would, gasp, choke

Have to act like adults.

funny that.

i really am flabbergasted.

i think romney's got a huge problem going forward.

I think you have huge problems, PERIOD!

funny that.

oh jilly, you get more shrill each day you see Obama losing

Now that is a laughable statement. As a former Republican, I have to agree with Jillian 100% on this. I am one of those who decided nutjobbedum wasn't for me.

funny that.

Strawman much?

funny that.

47% don't pay Federal income taxes. He might have a point about that group voting Democratic. I can't imagine someone who pays no federal income taxes wanting to vote for a Republican. That would go contrary to simple logic. However, I haven't seen any data to back up that claim.

but that would include people who pay other types of taxes...

it would include the disabled...

it would include all those red state white single mothers who religiously vote GOP...

THAT'S the point...

it isn't people like me, like Article... like my husband who works his butt off...
all i can say is the thing about mittens is he's so unskilled a politician that he actually sometimes says what he thinks.

I suppose that legal career of yours isn't booming. Ambulance chasing slow these days?

Contempt for people who work? What on earth are you smoking? We are the ones fighting for them to remain working. We are the ones keeping their jobs from going out of business. We are the ones trying to stop the government from screwing them over.

By moving their jobs overseas and making one guy do the work of three until he burns out..

With friends like this, we can do without enemies...

funny that.

Now that is a laughable statement. As a former Republican, I have to agree with Jillian 100% on this. I am one of those who decided nutjobbedum wasn't for me.

You have something from jillian on your nose:

toilet-paper.jpg

funny that.

Sure, Staph, sure.

President Obama 3.0

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

President Obama +7.0 Governor Romney 0

RealClearPolitics - Obama & Romney: Favorable/Unfavorable

President Obama 332 Governor Romney 206

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

not the "most money" ... more than they put in.

i know that's complicated for you to undestand.

any more lies you want to tell?

facts matter...

SOME American states receive more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes; others receive less. Over twenty years these fiscal transfers can add up to a sizeable sum. From 1990 to 2009, the federal government spent $1.44 trillion in Virginia but collected less than $850 billion in taxes, a gap of over $590 billion. But relative to the size of its economy, Virginia derived a smaller benefit from America's fiscal union than states like New Mexico, Mississippi and West Virginia, where the 20-year transfer exceeded 200% of their annual GDP. Transfers to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory not a fully incorporated state, exceeded 290%. Where did these transfers come from? New York transferred over $950 billion to the rest of America's fiscal union from 1990 to 2009. But relative to the size of its economy, Delaware made the biggest contribution, equivalent to more than twice its 2009 GDP. These calculations are based on tax figures provided by the Internal Revenue Service (which used to bracket Washington, DC, with Maryland) and federal spending numbers provided by the Census Bureau, which ignores spending on international programmes and interest payments.

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist

not the "most money" ... more than they put in.

i know that's complicated for you to undestand.

any more lies you want to tell?

facts matter...

SOME American states receive more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes; others receive less. Over twenty years these fiscal transfers can add up to a sizeable sum. From 1990 to 2009, the federal government spent $1.44 trillion in Virginia but collected less than $850 billion in taxes, a gap of over $590 billion. But relative to the size of its economy, Virginia derived a smaller benefit from America's fiscal union than states like New Mexico, Mississippi and West Virginia, where the 20-year transfer exceeded 200% of their annual GDP. Transfers to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory not a fully incorporated state, exceeded 290%. Where did these transfers come from? New York transferred over $950 billion to the rest of America's fiscal union from 1990 to 2009. But relative to the size of its economy, Delaware made the biggest contribution, equivalent to more than twice its 2009 GDP. These calculations are based on tax figures provided by the Internal Revenue Service (which used to bracket Washington, DC, with Maryland) and federal spending numbers provided by the Census Bureau, which ignores spending on international programmes and interest payments.

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist

Read the article, fool and you might get your answer. I'm not here to tutor you! I think many here know who the liar around here is and it ain't me!

Last edited:

funny that.

we can pretend that's true steffie...

nah...i prefer reality.

Forum List

Back