CDZ When did so-called "regular folks" head in droves to the Republican Party? And why?

what the hell? what is with this (so called) regular folks?

the left/dem/liberals are such snobs. what are they good for? seriously

what the hell? what is with this (so called) regular folks?

the left/dem/liberals are such snobs. what are they good for? seriously

There was no snobbery going on in the conception of this thread. Don't sit there acting as though you don't know what "regular folks" are; you know exactly what that phrase means. "Joe the plumber," "the average Joe," "typical Americans," and "the guy next door," are just a few common phrases used synonymously with "regular folks."

One member asked me to define "regular folks," and stupidly, I did. I knew better when I began typing the answer, but I went ahead and typed it and posted it. That was my mistake; I should have simply ignored the question and moved on.

The right/Republicans/conservatives are such idiots. What are they good for? Seriously. You see, that remark looks just as absurd turned around as it did when you made it. Nonetheless, whereas I cannot answer the specific question, I can tell you what many conservatives, and especially the ones often enough found on USMB, are not good for: rigorous original thought and rational analysis of observed events.

It may be because this forum seems to have more "righties" than "lefties;" I don't know. What I know I've observed is that, from conservatives, daily I see multiple remarks devoid of any sense. I routinely see "sheeple" who daily refuse to, or who simply cannot (I can't say for sure which), present an idea that is singularly theirs. I see remarks that parrot the conservative mantra and manifesto, and that were initially uttered by the Republican punditry, but that are here on USMB routinely applied absent any thought whatsoever of whether the context their originator gave them is remotely, partly, halfway, mostly or entirely applicable to the discussion at hand here on USMB. I see conservative folks consistently glibly proselytize "their" social, political and/or economic stances using braggadocious assertions fully suited to a fan cheering a sports team, but wholly out of place in a discussion among ostensibly sentient individuals rationally considering matters of national, regional and local import to import.

Of course there are some conservatives, both on this forum and not, who are not embodiments of the saying "she was so quite we thought her a fool; then she opened her mouth and removed all doubt." The couple folks I mentioned there are just a few, there have been lots of others: Irving Kristol, Ludwig von Mises, Milton Friedman, and many others. Mostly, however, at least as goes the so-called conservatives on USMB, I see little but puerile bleating and empty assertions, and by that vapid snobbery comment you made, you portend yourself as being among them. You know who they are, the "Trumpeteers," the Rush Limbaugh devotees, and so on, the people who see a Republican label on something and conclude therefore it's both right and what they want.

That is not me. I have repeatedly said I'm and independent. While that means I don't align with any single party, it also means I'm willing to think for myself, but most importantly, it also means I don't tell people what is good, bad, right or wrong. I state my view and present my case for espousing it, and my view may or may not be held at the time by others. Whether it is or not isn't important to me; that I've considered the well developed information available to me and come to my own conclusion is. Even having put in the due diligence to come to my own results, I'm aware I may have overlooked or placed an undeserved premium or discount on some of that info.

To illustrate, what I mean about one's thinking for themeselves and sharing their ideas, I will point you to one of my threads, one I created just after Christmas 2015: CDZ - Why I used to be keen on Mr. Trump and why today I am not . Looking at that thread, you'll notice that I was "all over" Mr. Trump's inconsistencies and disingenuousness well before they became paramount in news headlines, before the National Review published its special issue decrying Mr. Trump, and well before Mr. Romney went on national television to point out exactly the same things. I can assure you, nobody in the Republican leadership called me on the phone and asked what I thought about Mr. Trump and his candidacy.

To close, I'm not suggesting that everything one offers in a forum like this need be entirely original, for it does not and not every idea I present is uniquely mine when I share it, but one's ideas do need to be well thought out before they can be viewed as having some merit. That stupid remark about this thread's premise and opening remarks/inquiry issuing from snobbery may well reflect what you believe, but it's nothing more than that, a knee-jerk belief and utterance. I know that's all it can be because there's not one thing you'll find in my postings on USMB that indicates it'd be true.

There are many things I am, there are many things I espouse. Snobbery is not among them. A snob is among the lowest, most insecure, deplorable, morally reprehensible forms of human existence to be found. Being a snob is tantamount to being a racist for like racism, snobbery is just a means by which one irrationally deems oneself better than another. Indeed, viewed from the standpoint of its adherents, race-based snobbery is exactly what racism is. That is the one thing I am not, that I have never been, that I will never be and that I will always rail against -- snobbery, racism. Period. Nothing I have to say issues from it.

Forum List

Back