When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings

Ame®icano;1498074 said:
and nobody was complaining about him giving a speech to the kids before he gave the speech, the complaints came afterwards when it seemed like the speech was a political ploy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjoUdgHYNfo"]Bret Baier[/ame]

And little flashback - brokencountry.com

what part of after wasnt understood?

What part of Bush 41 speech was political ploy?

When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings | Washington Examiner

The controversy over President Obama's speech to the nation's schoolchildren will likely be over shortly after Obama speaks today at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Virginia. But when President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991, from Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington DC, the controversy was just beginning. Democrats, then the majority party in Congress, not only denounced Bush's speech -- they also ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production and later summoned top Bush administration officials to Capitol Hill for an extensive hearing on the issue.

Unlike the Obama speech, in 1991 most of the controversy came after, not before, the president's school appearance. The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. "The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props," the Post reported.

With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. "The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students," said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. "And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"

don't demoncwats ever get tired of being two faced? It must be a daunting task covering up yer shit.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those hearings...how far did they go? How many people had the vapors and kept their children home on a school day for that president's speech?

Well, Republicans got even when Clinton became president. I think the first oversight investigation once the pubs gained control in '94 was to hold hearings on Clinton's Christmas Card list. They spent more time investigating that than the Bush 43 investigative hearings on the Abu Ghraib tortures. And so it goes, round and round, and where it stops nobody knows.

When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings | Washington Examiner

don't demoncwats ever get tired of being two faced? It must be a daunting task covering up yer shit.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those hearings...how far did they go? How many people had the vapors and kept their children home on a school day for that president's speech?

Well, Republicans got even when Clinton became president. I think the first oversight investigation once the pubs gained control in '94 was to hold hearings on Clinton's Christmas Card list. They spent more time investigating that than the Bush 43 investigative hearings on the Abu Ghraib tortures. And so it goes, round and round, and where it stops nobody knows.
Good point.

Hell, they even investigated Socks the Cat!

I shit you not.

Last edited:
Btw,the GAO found no wrongdoing by the Bush aministration.

As well they should have. Another incident of much ado about nothing.

I think some people got upset because Obama's biography was part of the required reading for the summer and that Obama had planned a workbook and activities to surround his policies.
And you know that how?

But that lasted about 24 hours before the plans were changed.

But still the speech we ended up hearing today was excellent IMO

Fucking liars. All of you. Guess what. It's beginning to catch up with you.

Please ignore the fact that Bush used the speech to push his political agenda (effectively using taxpayer dollars to cut campaign ads).

and nobody was complaining about him giving a speech to the kids before he gave the speech, the complaints came afterwards when it seemed like the speech was a political ploy.

Since Obama is following Bush's plan, then it's not a stretch to suspect him of having the same reason, now is it?

I don't think either (or any, actually) have ever had political motivations. I can't think of any president in recent history who wasn't concerned about the education of our citizens. To even THINK otherwise is ignorant.

Ame®icano;1498024 said:
George W Bush cannot read. He was faking it on 9/11.

Conservatives criticize Obama because he uses a teleprompter. They are jealous because the Democrats have a President that can read.

Yeah, we know... often way too good at reading.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJt0yXjpDNA"]Move that up![/ame]

Also, he's quite good when not reading.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJSVPAx8xc"]Hold on, I can't hear myself![/ame]

Top national priorities for ya, eh?

As well they should have. Another incident of much ado about nothing.

I think some people got upset because Obama's biography was part of the required reading for the summer and that Obama had planned a workbook and activities to surround his policies.
And you know that how?

But that lasted about 24 hours before the plans were changed.

But still the speech we ended up hearing today was excellent IMO

Fucking liars. All of you. Guess what. It's beginning to catch up with you.

The ranting and raving, tied in with the actual speech could very well make a good DNC commercial during the off year elections.

When Bush was reading to students about a goat he allowed terrorists to fly into the world trade centers.
It takes but a small mind to draw some conclusion about a person's participation in a separate occurrence based upon what that person was doing at the time of the occurrence. You have a small mind.

The controversy over President Obama's speech to the nation's schoolchildren will likely be over shortly after Obama speaks today at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Virginia. But when President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991, from Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington DC, the controversy was just beginning. Democrats, then the majority party in Congress, not only denounced Bush's speech -- they also ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production and later summoned top Bush administration officials to Capitol Hill for an extensive hearing on the issue.

Unlike the Obama speech, in 1991 most of the controversy came after, not before, the president's school appearance. The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. "The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props," the Post reported.

With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. "The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students," said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. "And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"

When Bush was reading to students about a goat he allowed terrorists to fly into the world trade centers.

and I thought the short bus was short before I read this post...

It takes but a small mind to draw some conclusion about a person's participation in a separate occurrence based upon what that person was doing at the time of the occurrence. You have a small mind.

Does that mean I have to write like this?

The sad truth, Willow, is that they don't have to cover it up, their constituents gladly defend their hypocrisy and support it. But, that's what happens whenever you provide government goodies to a group of people that aren't even paying taxes. You own them, and they'll do anything and say anything to defend you and keep you in office.

Which hypocrisy? The hypocrisy where the Republicans's didn't mind when Bush did it or the hypocrisy where the Democrats don't mind when Obama does it?

The media keeps telling us that Pres Bush spoke to school students. Fair enough. But they fail to tell us about all the ruckus the Washington Post and the dems caused. Yeah, the Washington Post carried a front page story critical of the speech and the majority party dems had the GAO investigate. But what can we expect from the leftist Obama media. We can expect only the part of a story thay want us to know. The internet and talk radio constantly exposes the leftist media for what they are.

Like the "leftist" media, the "rightist" media only tells us part of the story.

Don't tell me you believe in the "fair and balanced" bullshit they self-promote?

Yes when their Hopey Changey tries to indoctrinate the kids with his "Obama Youth" propaganda,they label all criticism as being "Silly." Interesting how it wasn't so silly when Bush Sr. gave a similar speech to children back in 1991 and the Dems actually investigated him and held hearings. Where are all those Democrats screeching for investigations & hearings this time around? I know i really would like to find out who wrote the speech,what was in the original text,how much the broadcast cost,and who were the actual organizers of this speech with this school? So come on Democrats,quit being such disingenuous hypocrites and start your investigation right now!

Yes when their Hopey Changey tries to indoctrinate the kids with his "Obama Youth" propaganda,they label all criticism as being "Silly." Interesting how it wasn't so silly when Bush Sr. gave a similar speech to children back in 1991 and the Dems actually investigated him and held hearings. Where are all those Democrats screeching for investigations & hearings this time around? I know i really would like to find out who wrote the speech,what was in the original text,how much the broadcast cost,and who were the actual organizers of this speech with this school? So come on Democrats,quit being such disingenuous hypocrites and start your investigation right now!

Remind me....when did the Repubs start their investigation in '91?

Still don't hear those Democrats demanding investigations and hearings. So i'll just go ahead and call Bull Chit on this one. What a scam.

Ame®icano;1498024 said:
George W Bush cannot read. He was faking it on 9/11.

Conservatives criticize Obama because he uses a teleprompter. They are jealous because the Democrats have a President that can read.

Yeah, we know... often way too good at reading.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJt0yXjpDNA"]Move that up![/ame]

Also, he's quite good when not reading.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJSVPAx8xc"]Hold on, I can't hear myself![/ame]

Top national priorities for ya, eh?

He started it. I just reacted.

Forum List

Back