When Amazon Kills all the Malls

D

Dim Bulb

... what can we repurpose those dinosaur huge buildings to do? Homeless shelters and retraining centers? Hives for computer hacking and trolling centers?

Where will the mall employees get jobs? I know that the free market has essentially declared big box stores as losers and they will fade away over the next 10 years. Will food stores be next? I think it will take longer for food stores since people like to see and touch what they’re gonna eat.

Anyway, we’re gonna have a lot of empty malls. What’re we gonna do with them?

You know, some of those malls would make some really interesting apartment buildings. You could do a whole lot of stuff with them.

Watched two obsolete malls torn down recently.

On each site a gigantic one-store BIG BOX went up.

Transformed from a collection of smaller stores to one gigantic store with many departments. End rseult, you can buy the same stuff you always could at the old mall but now from ONE vendor.

You know, some of those malls would make some really interesting apartment buildings. You could do a whole lot of stuff with them.
Interesting. Would need a lot more windows and skylights but doable. I lived once in a building that in the 19th century was a hoop skirt factory and was made into apartments.

... what can we repurpose those dinosaur huge buildings to do? Homeless shelters and retraining centers? Hives for computer hacking and trolling centers?

Where will the mall employees get jobs? I know that the free market has essentially declared big box stores as losers and they will fade away over the next 10 years. Will food stores be next? I think it will take longer for food stores since people like to see and touch what they’re gonna eat.

I doubt you'll see the home depot, and Lowe's box stores disappear. The cost of delivering the items they sell wouldn't justify any savings...

Watched two obsolete malls torn down recently.

On each site a gigantic one-store BIG BOX went up.

Transformed from a collection of smaller stores to one gigantic store with many departments. End rseult, you can buy the same stuff you always could at the old mall but now from ONE vendor.
I’m guessing that won’t last too long either. Click and mail is gonna kill that too.

I doubt you'll see the home depot, and Lowe's box stores disappear. The cost of delivering the items they sell wouldn't justify any savings...
Yeah. But Macy’s and JCP and even Nordstrom’s are heading for Sears level trouble.

Most of the stores I won't miss. I would miss the nice Department stores, though--the pretty Christmas decorations and the smell of the perfume counter and just ambling around to look at stuff, feel the quality of the material, check the maker mark on the dishware, try on the shoes. Amazon is fine for everyday stuff you buy all the time, but the rest? I hope we don't all have to do ALL our shopping from our own living rooms in another ten years because we were too lazy to go to the store.

Yeah. But Macy’s and JCP and even Nordstrom’s are heading for Sears level trouble.
There is one saving grace for clothing retailers... The opportunity to try it on...

Most of the stores I won't miss. I would miss the nice Department stores, though--the pretty Christmas decorations and the smell of the perfume counter and just ambling around to look at stuff, feel the quality of the material, check the maker mark on the dishware, try on the shoes. Amazon is fine for everyday stuff you buy all the time, but the rest? I hope we don't all have to do ALL our shopping from our own living rooms in another ten years because we were too lazy to go to the store.
You won’t miss Piercing Pagoda or Orange Julius? What kind of American are you?

There is one saving grace for clothing retailers... The opportunity to try it on...
Except that my wife and daughter order stuff and if they don’t like it they send it right back from our doorstep. It’s gonna be tough to compete with that but maybe you’re right.

Interesting. Would need a lot more windows and skylights but doable. I lived once in a building that in the 19th century was a hoop skirt factory and was made into apartments.

Most malls have large skylights over the main walkway through the center. Yes, a couple more wouldn't hurt, and would improve the overall appearance.

What would be cool though, is to turn the walkway into a lawn area with sidewalks going on either side of them to the apartments.

If you have a large enough area in the middle (and many do) you could also install a swimming pool.

I've thought about this before, and I've got some cool ideas about turning one into an upscale community.

Well, now that you mention it---I WOULD miss Orange Julius.

Cuz that shits so hard to make at the house...

If there are no malls, the people like Roy Moore will not be banned from them.

Sorry, I’m being a bad boy by bringing Moore up in this thread.

Last edited:

Now that's something I haven't seen in years.

You know, I kinda think that the malls paved the way for the big box stores to take over.

And now, it looks like the internet is going to take over most of the stores.

turn some into one stop medical clinics, pharmacies,urgent care,& durable equipment sites all under one roof.

New Topics

Forum List

Back