Wheel of Time series

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Conspiracist, May 27, 2010.

1. Conspiracist

Conspiracist Snuggle weather rocks!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Anyone read these books? If so I would like to hear opinions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I think it is the longest trilogy in history. It goes into way to much detail about minor plot points, turns minor characters into major ones, and never kills off anyone.

3. Conspiracist

Conspiracist Snuggle weather rocks!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +505
    The never killing anyone off kinda recently ended in BOOK 12! LOL

The first 5 books were amazing and only recently did the story become interesting again in book 11. It will be cool to finally see the final battle.

4. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Well, if you want a reasoned critique, I have to agree with most of what you said. I was around and reading this series from the beginning, and was expecting the 3rd book to be the end. It realty started bogging down in the 5th book, though it was still readable until 6th. After that it got totally unreadable, and now the last 3 books are being written from Jordan's notes. To be honest, the only thing i am looking forward to right now is the end, period.

5. Weezerfan

Weezerfan Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I read the first 10 of the books a few summers ago, loved them , but I haven't picked up the last 2, I hear they are amazing though.

6. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,553
    I've read a little more than half, but not all of the books.

Pro's - awesome world development, neat characters, fascinating concepts and a lot of mysterious hints.

Cons - took a long time between books - and books were complex and thick, with a myriad of nested plots and characters to follow - so, I essentially had to re-read a lot before reading the new book. Another Con was that despite the many hints nothing seemed to get quite resolved or come together - it only seemed to get more and more complex with the potential for a lot of loose threads that would either never be followed up or would be rushed into an unsatisfactory ending.

Despite the many cons - what I read was well worth reading - I really liked his concepts.

I know the author passed away but - did it ever reach a conclusion?

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,016
    I quit after the 8th or 9th one. They were great up until like 7 then they got repetitive and boring, Each book tells the story of 3 or 4 different groups and by 7 he had begun to repeat himself and to fixate on petty shit. The story was going no where and fast.

8. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,086
    I read this one

[​IMG]

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I read them up to the tenth book. I refuse to reread them until the series is finished and, to be honest, i'm not really too keen on that now that Jordan is dead. The Wheel of Time series is THE reason I don't read a series of books unless they are already finished and published. I recently broke this rule by reading The Warded Man and The Desert Spear and now I can't wait for the third book although the second came out in 2010. It's bullshit, man. Bullshit.

But yea, Read most of em. they were good but a little TOO soap-opera like. Lots of potential but long winded. Reminded me of what a fantasy book written by Tom Wolfe would look like: self-indulgent loquaciousness.

10. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    read the first two books. hated em, too cliche. shortly after i started a song of ice and fire and havent looked back since. plus HBO is filming a series based on the first book "a game of thrones" which is airing sometime early next year.