Whatz Yer Fav. Western Movie and Why?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, wonderful.

I love this scene,

Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

As a sidebar, that scene was filmed at Hellsgate Canyon just outside of Grant's Pass, Oregon, on the Rogue River where they run the jetboat tours. If you're ever through there, do the jetboats.

Do the steelhead fishing if you are there in season. I pulled a 33 pounder out of the Rogue after a two-hour fight down a half mile of rocky river ledges and rocks. Best fishing, OK eating. Wow! Southern Oregon rocked back them. Don't know if it still does.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXM2PfQFMzw&feature=related"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXM2PfQFMzw&feature=related[/ame]

Rv'd through there last July. So. Oregon still rocks. Nice fish and fight!

too many to mention, and someone else beat me to all the good ones. I gotta say "hallelujah trail" was my favorite. Specially that fight during the sandstorm....All those bullets flying in all those directions and nobody got shot, lol. The soldiers first on one side of the dune, then on the other and then every other one was on either side, it was great.

Was "Once upon a time in the west" the one with Debbie Renolds?

That was How The West Was Won. Karl Malden, Jimmy Stewart, Gregort Peck, Robert Preston, Henry Fonda, George Peppard, John Wayne, Carolyn Jones, Eli Wallach, Richard Widmark... Just to name a few.

Now THAT one was great, I should get it on DVD.

My personal favorite is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

It was directed by John Ford and stars John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. Why do I like it? Because it is an epic tale of one man stepping aside for the sake of a better man and a better world, at great personal cost. See it.

Ranse was NOT a better man than Tom. Not even on Tom's worst day. But a damn fine movie, I agree.

That also is one of my favorites, but with both Jimmy Stewart AND the Duke, how can you lose?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, wonderful.

I love this scene,

Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

I remember that scene...remember the whole movie and I have yet to forgive my sisters for stealing my babysitting money to go see it. I ended up watching it when it came on TV. When I asked my sisters why they didn't take me, you know what they said? Yeah, "There wasn't enough money for THREE people!"

AND you guys wonder why I'm so crazy.......

outlaw josie wales
man who shot liberty valence
the good, the bad and the ugly
little big man
the life and times of judge roy bean

Judge Roy Bean: Do you have anything to say before we find you guilty?

Sam Dodd
: I'm not guilty of nothing. There's no crime that I've done wrong.

Judge Roy Bean: Do you deny the killing?

Sam Dodd: I do not deny it. But there's no place in that book where it says nothing about killing a Chinese. And no one I know ever heard a law on greasers, *******, or injuns.

Judge Roy Bean
: All men stand equal before the law. And I will hang a man for killing anyone, including Chinks, greasers, or *******! I'm very advanced in my views and outspoken.

Sam Dodd: There's no place in that book that...

Judge Roy Bean: Trust in my judgment of the book. Besides, you're gonna hang no matter what it says in there, 'cause I am the law, and the law is the handmaiden of justice. Get a rope.

Unforgiven

Hackman: Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man!
Eastwood: Well, he should have armed himself.

Too many to pick from to narrow it down to just one, so I'll give some my favorites:

1. Unforgiven: Clint starts out as an old worn out used-to-be gunslinger who's changed his ways until he takes a swig out of the bottle and transforms into perhaps the meanest son-of-a-bitch ever seen on screen. Thing is that we're all rootin' for him! Favorite line: "I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned."

2. True Grit: The Duke's finest performance. Made in the 70's when the trend was to be more "realistic" and downplay the iconic western good guy. Best line of all time: "Fill your hand you son of a bitch!"

3. Open Range: I'm not that big of a Kevin Costner fan, but he hit the nail on the head on this one. I like it that no one knows who he really is until trouble comes down their way. "Men are going to get killed here today, Sue, and I'm going to kill them."

4. Monte Walsh: TV movie with Tom Selleck about the changing times from the Old West to modern times at the turn of the century. Favorite scene is when a man in a car comes up on Walsh, who's on horseback, and tells him to make way. Walsh backs up and then with a running start leaps over the car, impressing the hell out of the female passenger. That sums it all up: a cowboy who refuses to give in to changing times.

5. Silverado: Yep, over-the-top, overdone, too cartoonish with characters who come straight out of a comic book. Sometimes, that's just what you need.

There's a bunch more. I guess I can sum it up like this: There are war movies that I don't like, there are cop movies that I think are pretty lame, there are action movies that I think are chick flicks in disguise, but I've never come across a bad western.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

My faith has been restored. I scrolled through the entire first page of this topic and didn't see that movie mentioned, and I didn't know how I was going to respond.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is hands down my favorite western.

Unforgiven: Saw it again last night. An honest departure from the usual hero construct.

Dances With Wolves: A well-crafted fantasy with a beautiful musical score.

Last Of The Mohicans: Another exceptionally well-made fantasy with an excellent score.

I also liked Lonesome Dove, Open Range, and the HBO Deadwood series.

No one mentioned 'The Magnificent Seven' yet. Oh, I just did. In my top five.
Just too many great and good westerns.
Glad westerns are not a dead genre. They make great morality plays, moreso now, since as a nation, we've lost our moral compass for sometimes now.

I like Last of the Mohicans....the love story angle doesn't interfere with the great violence of action. I just never considered it a western.

One of my professors at university considered James Fenimore Cooper, author of the Longstocking novels, to be the first of our western writes. Upstate NY around the lakes was the wild, wild west in the 1750s.

Choosing a favorite Western is like choosing a favorite child or sibling. :lol:

As for me: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. Though I could put just about any of Eastwood's westerns for this.

Once Upon A Time in the West, The Wild Bunch, True Grit, and so many of Wayne's movies.

I also have to mention The Magnificent Seven, though based off originally of a Japanese film about Samurais. It does have one of the best movie themes of all time:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iteRKvRKFA]YouTube - Magnificent Seven Theme[/ame]

Who doesn't want to kick some ass while listening to this?

Forum List

Back