Whatz Yer Fav. Western Movie and Why?

I am a sucker for Westerns (I blame the Remmington prints my father hung in my bedroom as a kid) so I can not resist them and like most, love some.

But I also love anti-Westerns, like Little Big Man.

"Jack Crabb: Grandfather, I have a white wife.

Old Lodge Skins: You do? That's interesting. Does she cook and does she work hard.

Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.

Old Lodge Skins: That surprises me. Does she show pleasant enthusiasm when you mount her?

Jack Crabb: Well sure, Grandfather.

Old Lodge Skins: That surprises me even more. I tried one of them once, but she didn't show any enthusiasm at all. "

Or

"Younger Bear: I have a wife. And four horses.

Jack Crabb: I have a horse... and four wives."

I also love the Deadwood series.

Al Swearengen: God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

Miles Anderson: God bless you, Mr. Swearengen.
Al Swearengen: Well, not likely. But my prospects have just improved.

I also love the Deadwood series.

Al Swearengen: God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

Miles Anderson: God bless you, Mr. Swearengen.
Al Swearengen: Well, not likely. But my prospects have just improved.

Pretty good show

Best Western Movie? Tombstone

//thread

That is a good one.

"Ike Clanton: What is that now? Twelve hands in a row? Holliday, son of a bitch, nobody's that lucky.

Doc Holliday: Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!"

Doc Holliday: It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Last edited:
Non-western movie fans need not apply.

Mine is Sam Peckinpah's old film, THE WILD BUNCH.

It was not only ahead of its' time for the few glimpses of 'mamacita hispanic tits', but the plot was full of scurrolous(not really a word?) characters with great actors.

The movie made me think what it might have been like for the founding fathers of our country. Put into a position that they did not really want to be in, outnumbered, facing certain death, and they did their best.

Well, I guess you are right. The founders were robbing banks, shooting it out with the law, and dying in gunfights with bad ass Mexicans. What a way to go. In actuality, the film was great, marking the first time seneca realism (blood, flying gore, little old ladies stomped to death by horses - yippie ky yay get along little dogie) was used in modern cinema. Marlowe and Jonson would have been proud.

My favorite, of course, is Unforgiven, Clint's unforgettable put down of corrupt law supporting even more corrupt petit bourgeois business people. With a shotgun no less! William Mundy, though, should have ridden into the sunset with the scar faced whore, of course.

Indeed, William could have opened up his dry goods store with the scare faced whore.

I've seen old Clint Eastwood movies that I liked and also Paul Newman/Robert Redford but John Wayne type Westerns.. Not for me.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, wonderful.

I love this scene,

Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

Last edited:

I think Munny is more realistic. The characters are both similar. They both were bandits that started out in the "Bleeding Kansas Conflict". However, with Munny you never really can see him as a bad guy until the end when get goes into a rage, starts drinking, and reverts to his evil ways and starts murdering people. When the Sheriff points out that he shot an un-armed man he is not phased and his line is classic: "Well, he should have armed himself before he thought to go decorating his saloon with my friend". It's almost a twist on the cheesy "Western In a Box" movies of old where the good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black.

Josey Wales is good, but it's a little too "shoot 'em up" for me.

I also like "No Country". Cormac McCarthy is great.

I gotta go with "The Shootist"
After John wayne's struggle with cancer...he made this movie...it was his last one and about an aging gunslinger who ironically was diagnosed with the same thing. It seemed it was the story of Wayne's struggle with cancer and his search for a dignified death....just like the movie plot.
plus...the "Scatman" was in it along with several veteran and other up and coming actors.
John Wayne actually changed the ending of the movie....something about John Wayne never shooting anyone in the back in any of his movies.

That is a good one.

"Ike Clanton: What is that now? Twelve hands in a row? Holliday, son of a bitch, nobody's that lucky.

Doc Holliday: Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!"

Doc Holliday: It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

That movie has so many great quotes its not even funny.

I love this scene,

As a sidebar, that scene was filmed at Hellsgate Canyon just outside of Grant's Pass, Oregon, on the Rogue River where they run the jetboat tours. If you're ever through there, do the jetboats.

Once Upon A time in the West for all the reasons mentioned.

McClintock! John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara... Need I say more? Okay... Nice version of The Taming of the Shrew.

The Hallelujah Trail John Sturges comedy. Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Donald Pleasance, and Jim Hutton. Watcheit with ny dad when I was a kid, last movie we watched together before he died.

The Jack Bull Great tale of justice/vengeance.

The Proposition Australian western, kill your brother or we'll kill your other brother? Come on, that's good story...

Mnay others could make my list, but those are a few that stick out in my memory.

I forgot about 'The Proposition'. One of those fly-under-the-radar gems outta Austrailia. Not in my top 5. Maybe if I would'a had any brothers, it might have made a more sudden and lastin' impact on me.

I love this scene,

As a sidebar, that scene was filmed at Hellsgate Canyon just outside of Grant's Pass, Oregon, on the Rogue River where they run the jetboat tours. If you're ever through there, do the jetboats.

Do the steelhead fishing if you are there in season. I pulled a 33 pounder out of the Rogue after a two-hour fight down a half mile of rocky river ledges and rocks. Best fishing, OK eating. Wow! Southern Oregon rocked back them. Don't know if it still does.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXM2PfQFMzw&feature=related"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXM2PfQFMzw&feature=related[/ame]

Forum List

Back