What's your threat score?

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere
Interesting article. The use of tools like Beware software probably helped the police end the below situation without anyone getting hurt.

I wonder how many internet tough guys here at USMB have raised their threat score by drunken rants, vulgar insults or threats. I'd bet half of my ignore list. Perhaps this story can be a gentle reminder for us all to play nice in the USMB sandbox.

FRESNO, Calif. — While officers raced to a recent 911 call about a man threatening his ex-girlfriend, a police operator in headquarters consulted software that scored the suspect’s potential for violence the way a bank might run a credit report.

The program scoured billions of data points, including arrest reports, property records, commercial databases, deep Web searches and the man’s social- media postings.

The new way police are surveilling you: Calculating your threat ‘score’

------------------------

Last edited:
one must assume one is always on camera now...simple as that....our new lives.....and it has been decades but there was a spot on 60 minutes...where someone analyzed a man's check for 30 days...it was amazing what they could tell from his checks....it was pretty much the normal stuff..then they say....something like....you had a traffic ticket on such and such....he said he had but that was easy to figure out due to fines being paid by check....then the they said...and you had a young female blonde passenger..now that shook the poor dude up and his wife got that wtf look....i dont remember how they knew this but i was simply amazed that they could figure all this out...we leave paper trails like slugs...and now they just combine that with cameras...but what you need to realize...most of the cameras suck in resolution...look at the pics i hate to say this but all thugs look alike on film....

Meh. This is pretty common and has been done for a long time.

Why? To take the human bias out. Some police commanders would want to call SWAT for something that doesn't warrant it. Or they'd have a situation SWAT should be called for but because it's near the end of shift or he knows the suspect personally....they'd just send a patrolman in to try to handle it quicker.

So...many PDs have a policy that requires all higher risk situations use these matrix charts and it mandates the results for them instead of the inconsistencies of human decisions.

I'm sure mine is up there; between my comments here and elsewhere online, my firearms owbership, NRA membership, membership in sn organization the FBI investigated years ago, etc.....

When I read the article, JC Penney shoe ads kept coming up, not tactical gear, so probably pretty low. On the other hand, I did buy two pair of long over due shoes this weekend....

• Banned
Why? To take the human bias out. Some police commanders would want to call SWAT for something that doesn't warrant it. Or they'd have a situation SWAT should be called for but because it's near the end of shift or he knows the suspect personally....they'd just send a patrolman in to try to handle it quicker.

Thanks for the input. I had hoped with your experience, you'd chime in.

We have a monthly "Coffee With A Cop" in my city. At one of them, I asked our Police Chief if we had a SWAT team and what was the procedure for using it. To my surprise, he told me we got rid of our SWAT team because it was too expensive. We now partner with two other surrounding cities to share the expense of one SWAT team. The city then runs a threat matrix to see if a situation rises to the level of using the team. It goes through several levels of scrutiny. I was happy to hear that. Seemed very reasonable. I'd wish for every city our size to have a PD like ours.

I've had a city cop swoop in behind me after pulling a fast U-turn. Figured it was time to get a ticket. After stopping behind me at the next light, I saw him in my rear view mirror typing away on his keyboard. A few moments later and he peeled off leaving me alone. I always wondered what that was about.

We have a monthly "Coffee With A Cop" in my city. At one of them, I asked our Police Chief if we had a SWAT team and what was the procedure for using it. To my surprise, he told me we got rid of our SWAT team because it was too expensive. We now partner with two other surrounding cities to share the expense of one SWAT team. The city then runs a threat matrix to see if a situation rises to the level of using the team. It goes through several levels of scrutiny. I was happy to hear that. Seemed very reasonable. I'd wish for every city our size to have a PD like ours.

I've had a city cop swoop in behind me after pulling a fast U-turn. Figured it was time to get a ticket. After stopping behind me at the next light, I saw him in my rear view mirror typing away on his keyboard. A few moments later and he peeled off leaving me alone. I always wondered what that was about.

Your score for giving a cop a donut was too low.

It's 1984.

Can the OP read this? Just wondering since the implication is that being on the OP's ignore list is the same as the FBI's 10 most wanted.

If I keep calling Jake a left wing plant, when can I expect the black helicopters?

Yes that's also a trend...combining resources of several cities or counties to just have 1 regional SWAT team. More cost efficient plus a larger candidate pool means a team full of better qualified officers.

That last part...he probably was looking for a car similar to yours for a suspect vehicle and was typing your tag in. Happens A LOT haha. Example....armed robbery at gas station...suspect is "white male with a mask on....fled in a silver sedan...possibly a Honda or Nissan...headed towards Highway 10...." Well....lots of cars look like that. So cops will stop a lot of people for petty reasons looking for that suspect. Unfortunately it is inconvenient for innocents drivers who get stopped for a minor thing just so cops can stop as many "silver Honda or Nissan with white male near Highway 10" as possible. Also unfortunately it's bad tactics to tell people that whole story of why because then it hits social media and news and tips off the actual suspect that cops know what he's driving.

But....sometimes that's the only way to catch an armed thug robbing people.

Pretty good chance that was what yours was if i had to guess. When he ran your tag it showed your name and address and showed you weren't who they were looking for.

It's 1984.

Can the OP read this? Just wondering since the implication is that being on the OP's ignore list is the same as the FBI's 10 most wanted.

If I keep calling Jake a left wing plant, when can I expect the black helicopters?

OP can read this.:beer: Can't/won't read anything from Jake.
The black helicopters are busy right now over Jake's house. Due to your low score, your flyover has been rescheduled. (But I have it on good authority mind control drugs have been sprayed on your vegetable garden). Carry on good citizen.

cc60a2a0a6cfe61600a3a5eddc219ccc.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting article. The use of tools like Beware software probably helped the police end the below situation without anyone getting hurt.

I wonder how many internet tough guys here at USMB have raised their threat score by drunken rants, vulgar insults or threats. I'd bet half of my ignore list. Perhaps this story can be a gentle reminder for us all to play nice in the USMB sandbox.

FRESNO, Calif. — While officers raced to a recent 911 call about a man threatening his ex-girlfriend, a police operator in headquarters consulted software that scored the suspect’s potential for violence the way a bank might run a credit report.

The program scoured billions of data points, including arrest reports, property records, commercial databases, deep Web searches and the man’s social- media postings.

------------------------

Another Big brother watching tool...

Some will love it until it is used against them...

I'm sure mine is up there; between my comments here and elsewhere online, my firearms owbership, NRA membership, membership in sn organization the FBI investigated years ago, etc.....

------------------------
Wow interesting, TY

I'm good with giving our cops as much information as possible. From the article:

"Our officers are expected to know the unknown and see the unseen,” Dyer said. “They are making split-second decisions based on limited facts. The more you can provide in terms of intelligence and video, the more safely you can respond to calls.”

This demonstration noted in the article displays possible problems:

"The Fresno City Council called a hearing on Beware in November after constituents raised concerns.

Councilman Clinton J. Olivier, a libertarian-leaning Republican, said Beware was like something out of a dystopian science fiction novel and asked Dyer a simple question: “Could you run my threat level now?”

Dyer agreed. The scan returned Olivier as a green, but his home came back as a yellow, possibly because of someone who previously lived at his address, a police official said."

Forum List

Back