Whats your story?

I am presenting this post to my history class to explore racial discrimination, and how we as a society have experienced racial prejudice, and stereotyping.

The purpose of this post/discussion I would like to commence is that although as a society, we are very different ethnically, culturally and may all look very different from one another, but still have many similarities and have dealt with many hardships and adversity and that we may have a lot more in common then expected.

So my question is: Can you recall a time where you have personally been racially discriminated against, stereotyped or have been the victim of either racial prejudice or simply just stereotyped for belonging to a certain subculture or group?
I am presenting this post to my history class to explore racial discrimination, and how we as a society have experienced racial prejudice, and stereotyping.

The purpose of this post/discussion I would like to commence is that although as a society, we are very different ethnically, culturally and may all look very different from one another, but still have many similarities and have dealt with many hardships and adversity and that we may have a lot more in common then expected.

So my question is: Can you recall a time where you have personally been racially discriminated against, stereotyped or have been the victim of either racial prejudice or simply just stereotyped for belonging to a certain subculture or group?

Yes. The year was 1968, and I was bused into a predominately white middle school when I was in the 8th grade.

Although I was an honor roll student at the predominately BLACK middle school that I came from, when I arrived for my first day on campus at the new school.

I met with my counselor to discuss my grades and what they had planned for me, and the counselor assumed that I was not fit for advanced classes in "their school", and proceeded to map out a curriculum that was designed for a "slow learner".

Lucky for me, my Dad happened to be the principal of a school at that time(one of only TWO black secondary school administrators in San Diego, Ca.....and for the knuckle dragging racist assholes here I can prove it)

When I went home from school that day and told him what happened, he was there the next morning, and tore up some ass.

That is the fondest memory that I have of him. He went there and got involved.

He always said...."Never allow yourself to be marginalized"

I went on to be an honor student for the next two years....in an environment, and around people who likely wanted me to fail.
Shit, that happened to me in the late 80's when I transferred to NC. I was in all AP and advanced classes and an honor roll student...the counselor tried to prevent me enrolling.

Yes being White and relatively well-off me, my son and my wife all experienced stereotyping and rude treatment by Hispanic families we associated with through baseball until they got to know us. It was a tough experience but I'm glad to say we overcame that by doing everything they had to do, coaching, working the fields before the game, my wife working endlessly in the snack bar and my son by being a good kid and a heckuva ballplayer. We still keep in touch with many of them.
Sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing, this was exactly what I was looking for in this discussion.

My mother was an Indian. I used to get called Chief, Papoose, and my mother would be referred to as by many derogatory names. This was all done by Whites, Blacks and other ethnic groups treated me equally.
Sorry to hear that, thanks for sharing.

Yes. The year was 1968, and I was bused into a predominately white middle school when I was in the 8th grade.

Although I was an honor roll student at the predominately BLACK middle school that I came from, when I arrived for my first day on campus at the new school.

I met with my counselor to discuss my grades and what they had planned for me, and the counselor assumed that I was not fit for advanced classes in "their school", and proceeded to map out a curriculum that was designed for a "slow learner".

Lucky for me, my Dad happened to be the principal of a school at that time(one of only TWO black secondary school administrators in San Diego, Ca.....and for the knuckle dragging racist assholes here I can prove it)

When I went home from school that day and told him what happened, he was there the next morning, and tore up some ass.

I went on to be an honor student for the next two years....in an environment, and around people who likely wanted me to fail.

This is a great personal story! thanks for sharing!

Shit, that happened to me in the late 80's when I transferred to NC. I was in all AP and advanced classes and an honor roll student...the counselor tried to prevent me enrolling.

I believe it.

This was not discrimination against me, but it upset me. I was 18 in 1974 and had only been in Louisiana a few months. I had a doctor appointment and sat in the waiting room. A little old black lady said "Hon, I think you need to sit in the other waiting room." It was my first experience with segregation of people. This was in Nachitoches, Louisiana. I was naive and saddened.

This was not discrimination against me, but it upset me. I was 18 in 1974 and had only been in Louisiana a few months. I had a doctor appointment and sat in the waiting room. A little old black lady said "Hon, I think you need to sit in the other waiting room." It was my first experience with segregation of people. This was in Nachitoches, Louisiana. I was naive and saddened.
I was a little kid in Alabama in the early 60s. One of my first memories of Montgomery was seeing "Colored" water fountains. I was very confused why Colored people needed their own fountains. I remember asking my Dad if they were sick. He just kind of laughed and said "No they're fine we just haven't talked about that yet".

Can't speak English to the neighbors to ask them to turn down the loud musica or let me park next to my own casa with out offending THEM. And have a bullet or two or three in my house and garage, Mexicans are so peaceful and all that. Diversity is great if you don't have anything to it.

Can't speak English to the neighbors to ask them to turn down the loud musica or let me park next to my own casa with out offending THEM. And have a bullet or two or three in my house and garage, Mexicans are so peaceful and all that. Diversity is great if you don't have anything to it.

Do you keep the whaaaaambulance parked permanently outside your house, bigoted bitty?

You will be happy to know that shit like this still happens in NC.

I was a little kid in Alabama in the early 60s. One of my first memories of Montgomery was seeing "Colored" water fountains. I was very confused why Colored people needed their own fountains. I remember asking my Dad if they were sick. He just kind of laughed and said "No they're fine we just haven't talked about that yet".
In the late 50s and early 60s I would travel in the South between military bases and was both ashamed and angry at the way blacks were treated in public places. Restaurants, waiting rooms, water fountains,swimming pools and a long list of other places. I grew up in all white Western Maryland and was not exposed to racial discrimination until I joined the Army. I developed a hatred and contempt for white redneck crackers that still holds true. And they deserve pity for their hate.

In the late 50s and early 60s I would travel in the South between military bases and was both ashamed and angry at the way blacks were treated in public places. Restaurants, waiting rooms, water fountains,swimming pools and a long list of other places. I grew up in all white Western Maryland and was not exposed to racial discrimination until I joined the Army. I developed a hatred and contempt for white redneck crackers that still holds true. And they deserve pity for their hate.
You are a credit to teapers everywhere. Too bad you are overshadowed by the hate faction.

I've worked with enough people from different backgrounds to say that underneath their identity bravado, peoples are all the same in their basic wants, needs and individuality.

I've worked with enough people from different backgrounds to say that underneath their identity bravado peoples are all the same in their basic wants, needs and individuality.

Some go about it in different ways than others.

In kindergarten I heard the word ****** for the first time. I didnt know what it meant when the white boy called me it but I knew it was something bad. I told the teacher as my mother had told me to do when someone called me a name. I went home after school and told my auntie who told me to beat the white boys ass the next day. When he called me the slur again I beat the hell out of him and it took 2 teachers to get me off of him. The school wanted to expel me even though I had told the teacher what the little albino monkey was doing. I remember realizing at that point white people are afraid of Black people that fight back.

Another time I had a white cop put a gun to my head and tell me he was going to kill me while calling me some choice racial slurs. All I was doing was being a 9 year old walking home from the playground.

I remember the day my manager announced I had received my Cisco Network Professional certification. A white co-worker asked how I passed the test in 1 month that he had studied for years and still not passed. I was puzzled and told him I studied. He was like "but didnt you grow up in ......?" I said yes I had but they even had books there too.

New Topics

Forum List

Back