What's Your Higher Priority--Balancing the Budget or Growing the Economy?

Growing the economy. After which, in a sane world, it would be appropriate to raise taxes to re-coup the money spent by the government to grow it.

Are you saying it is impossible to grow the economy without balancing the budget? If so, I am pretty sure that the people in Greece might point out that they tried that, and it didn't work for them.

Seems we have too much debt to function for much longer.
61B in cuts handed to the Senate by the House won't cut it either. They ran on 100B+...

And the Senate (dingy Harry Reid) will not allow it...so what we will see is a hard powerdown of Government...(Not that it is such a bad thing). I say LET the Gubmint shut down...the Statists will be responsible for it.

The last thing your representatives were able to do with any bi-partisan enthusiasm was to add 800 billion to the deficit in September by passing a massive tax cut, that included exacerbating the Social Security situation with of all things a payroll tax cut,

all done in the name of jobs, the economy, growth, etc.

So that's their answer to your question. That's what they chose.

When you are in an airplane getting the safety briefing, the stewardess explains that if the cabin loses pressure the airbags will drop from the ceiling. They tell you to "put the mask on yourself first, then anyone else who needs your assisatance". That is an apt analogy for what we are experiencing. We need to cut spending and get the federal budget under control first (put the mask on first). Then we can worry about growing the economy.

The last thing your representatives were able to do with any bi-partisan enthusiasm was to add 800 billion to the deficit in September by passing a massive tax cut, that included exacerbating the Social Security situation with of all things a payroll tax cut,

You may take this Bipartisan shit and STOW it.

The only definition of bipartisanship is the Leftist WAY or no way.

You idiots have tried this shit for decades.

IT DOESN'T WASH any longer.

You're a fat drunk. I recommend A. A., and Weight Watchers.

Budget is more important than economy, for the individual, the family, and the nation.

As an alternative? i suggest that *YOU* are stupid, don't know what *YOU* are speaking of...and stick To TOPIC and not make *ME* subject of it.

Deal idiot? (STICK TO WHAT YOU REALLY KNOW)...which isn't MUCH ANYWAY

Last edited:
Granted, there are smart ways to balance the budget. But in general, balancing the budget, whether by cutting spending or by raising taxes, will make it harder to grow the economy. We're in a bad situation where we have huge budget deficits and a stagnant economy. So which, to you, is the higher priority--balancing the budget even if it slows the recovery, or growing the economy even if deficits balloon higher?

I'd look at situations like this on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I think our deficits are just so far out of control that something has to be done about it. It would be suicide to keep growing our debt. In the past when we've had a recession, whatever bone-headed thing the government has done about it, real growth has eventually come along to save the day and make it all moot. But now I'm not so sure real growth is coming anytime soon. We may have to get used to a stagnant economy for awhile and not rely on an economic boom to save our asses and fix all our problems.

Balancing the budget.

If you want a quick way to boost the economy have Obama and Biden resign.

Strange that somewhjere up to 30% of working americans owe their jobs to government spending either directly or indirectly.

I think a balanced budget will grow the economy.

Is that what you thnik? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do I think that it makes more sense to balance the budget, and enact entitlement reform, than to simply cut spending or raise taxes?

Strangely enough, yes.

That's because your up on the cross there, with so many other clueless righties who think it profound to shout "ENTITLEMENT REFORM!" without ever feeling the need to provide any specifics.

So go ahead, with your Entitlement reform. What, specifically, do you recommend, o great oracle ye. It will be interesting to see how this somehow falls outside of "Spending cuts," But I digress.

As an alternative? i suggest that *YOU* are stupid, don't know what *YOU* are speaking of...and stick To TOPIC and not make *ME* subject of it.

Deal idiot? (STICK TO WHAT YOU REALLY KNOW)...which isn't MUCH ANYWAY

No T. *YOU* are stupid. *YOU* are fucking clueless. *YOU* should fucking do the gene pool a favor. Where are *YOU*? Are *YOU* in a tall building? *YOU* should find the nearest window. JUMP!

GOD DAMNIT ALL you are a fucking moron.

Is that what you thnik? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do I think that it makes more sense to balance the budget, and enact entitlement reform, than to simply cut spending or raise taxes?

Strangely enough, yes.

That's because your up on the cross there, with so many other clueless righties who think it profound to shout "ENTITLEMENT REFORM!" without ever feeling the need to provide any specifics.

So go ahead, with your Entitlement reform. What, specifically, do you recommend, o great oracle ye. It will be interesting to see how this somehow falls outside of "Spending cuts," But I digress.

Really? I think we should cut spending, reform the tax code, end all government subsidies for any business, and get serious about entitlement reform. I will point out that what I am advocating is effectively a tax hike across the board, and it will hit businesses harder than individuals. Yet, somehow, I am a righty because you hate the idea.

And, yes, we should cut the defense budget also.

Forum List

Back