What's Your Higher Priority--Balancing the Budget or Growing the Economy?

I think a balanced budget will grow the economy.
110218beelertoon_c.jpg

Is that what you thnik? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why does one assume the government must spend trillions of dollars it doesn't have in order for the economy to recover?

It's called abject stupidity.

:eusa_drool:

No, it's called "investment". Why do right wingers think they know so much about "growing the economy" when clearly they don't? Their answer is always, "Cut taxes for rich people and remove clean air, clean water and safety regulations".

8 years under Bush nearly destroyed the economy. This is why they hate education. Because they haven't the ability to learn. I can't figure out what else it could be?

Why does one assume the government must spend trillions of dollars it doesn't have in order for the economy to recover?

No, it's called "investment". Why do right wingers think they know so much about "growing the economy" when clearly they don't? Their answer is always, "Cut taxes for rich people and remove clean air, clean water and safety regulations".

8 years under Bush nearly destroyed the economy. This is why they hate education. Because they haven't the ability to learn. I can't figure out what else it could be?

One cardinal rule for investing is that you don't borrow money to do it unless you are guaranteed a higher return than the assessed interest rate.

The last trillion dollar stimulus should have proven this rule to you.

Yea, Lets get some political hack idealog to force the EPA to ban things like DDT after the WHO & the EPA scientist proved were perfectly safe.

The budget...

A budget will mean less taxes over the years (I would hope)

Less money wasted

Adds to Certainty in the market place

Over time helps create an environment for job growth

And of course, is the right thing to do...

There is no way to “fix the economy” through spending. FRD failed, Bush 2 failed and Obama is failing, it's pretty basic history. I have said many times, FDR was awesome, unless you lived during the time he was president. I hope you guys love a depression lasting a tenth of your life time.

Funny the people who lived throught the depression ( you know the ones who won WWII and built the best schools in the world) Loved FDR and felt the changes he made in their own lives.

The right keep wanting to wash from history all of these people.

They and every sane economist knows government stimulus saved the US from further decline.

Money does not know where it came from and does not act differently in an economy because it came from the government.

The budget...

Less money wasted

There is no way to “fix the economy” through spending. FRD failed, Bush 2 failed and Obama is failing, it's pretty basic history. I have said many times, FDR was awesome, unless you lived during the time he was president. I hope you guys love a depression lasting a tenth of your life time.

Funny the people who lived throught the depression ( you know the ones who won WWII and built the best schools in the world) Loved FDR and felt the changes he made in their own lives.

They and every sane economist knows government stimulus saved the US from further decline.

Money does not know where it came from and does not act differently in an economy because it came from the government.

yeah they all loved FDR because he stuck us with the fucking bill.

One cardinal rule for investing is that you don't borrow money to do it unless you are guaranteed a higher return than the assessed interest rate.

And yet, here is a list of 114 Republicans, both Senators and Congressmen, taking credit for jobs created by the stimulus package, more than 30% of which was tax cuts.

Isn't that funny? Republicans hate the policy, but take credit for the result.

Even funnier, the stimulus packages in both China and Germany seemed to have worked very well. China, you know, that country Republicans say we should be more like.

114 Lawmakers Block Recovery While Taking Credit For Its Success

And yet, here is a list of 114 Republicans, both Senators and Congressmen, taking credit for jobs created by the stimulus package, more than 30% of which was tax cuts.

Even funnier, the stimulus packages in both China and Germany seemed to have worked very well. China, you know, that country Republicans say we should be more like.

I don't give a gangrenous rat's ass what repugnantcans or dimocrat's think or take credit for.

The fucking stimulus didn't work and borrowing another trillion dollars to do it again won't work either.

How does one define insanity?

Repeatedly doing the same thing yet expecting different results.

No, it's not investment.

A proper investment has some sort of ROI analysis or expectation.

The government SPENDS. There is no ROI accountability.

Growing the economy. After which, in a sane world, it would be appropriate to raise taxes to re-coup the money spent by the government to grow it.

Are you saying it is impossible to grow the economy without balancing the budget? If so, I am pretty sure that the people in Greece might point out that they tried that, and it didn't work for them.

The budget...

Less money wasted

Money does not come from the government. The government takes money from the economy, and then, after wasting a portion of it, and using another portion to wipe its ass, puts some back in with a lot of conditions attached. Money might not know where it comes from, but every sane person in the world does.

Granted, there are smart ways to balance the budget. But in general, balancing the budget, whether by cutting spending or by raising taxes, will make it harder to grow the economy. We're in a bad situation where we have huge budget deficits and a stagnant economy. So which, to you, is the higher priority--balancing the budget even if it slows the recovery, or growing the economy even if deficits balloon higher?

I'd look at situations like this on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I think our deficits are just so far out of control that something has to be done about it. It would be suicide to keep growing our debt. In the past when we've had a recession, whatever bone-headed thing the government has done about it, real growth has eventually come along to save the day and make it all moot. But now I'm not so sure real growth is coming anytime soon. We may have to get used to a stagnant economy for awhile and not rely on an economic boom to save our asses and fix all our problems.

Don't they go hand in hand?

Granted, there are smart ways to balance the budget. But in general, balancing the budget, whether by cutting spending or by raising taxes, will make it harder to grow the economy. We're in a bad situation where we have huge budget deficits and a stagnant economy. So which, to you, is the higher priority--balancing the budget even if it slows the recovery, or growing the economy even if deficits balloon higher?

I'd look at situations like this on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I think our deficits are just so far out of control that something has to be done about it. It would be suicide to keep growing our debt. In the past when we've had a recession, whatever bone-headed thing the government has done about it, real growth has eventually come along to save the day and make it all moot. But now I'm not so sure real growth is coming anytime soon. We may have to get used to a stagnant economy for awhile and not rely on an economic boom to save our asses and fix all our problems.

I don't know why no one ever mentions interest rates in these kind of discussions. When rock bottom interest rates coincide with the need to expand any serious business jumps at the chance to borrow. I see no problem "financing" expansion if paying back the principal is the only penalty.

Many confuse the cost of debt with times the interest rate was crippling. These are NOT those times.

It was pretty foolish, in the first place, to create a program like Social Security where we make commitments to pay people 50 years down the road. We can't predict what's going to happen in 2 years, let alone 50 years.

But since we did make those commitments, we should try to honor them if at all possible. I think we should honor all commitments we've made so far in Social Security, but definitely change the program for the future to start eliminating costs. One big thing we can do is change the program so that we're only paying people who need it, not everyone including the rich.

Growing the economy. After which, in a sane world, it would be appropriate to raise taxes to re-coup the money spent by the government to grow it.

Are you saying it is impossible to grow the economy without balancing the budget? If so, I am pretty sure that the people in Greece might point out that they tried that, and it didn't work for them.

Seems we have too much debt to function for much longer.

I don't give a gangrenous rat's ass what repugnantcans or dimocrat's think or take credit for.

The fucking stimulus didn't work and borrowing another trillion dollars to do it again won't work either.

How does one define insanity?

Repeatedly doing the same thing yet expecting different results.

But the insanity continues...and these Statists don't see it.

It was pretty foolish, in the first place, to create a program like Social Security where we make commitments to pay people 50 years down the road. We can't predict what's going to happen in 2 years, let alone 50 years.

But since we did make those commitments, we should try to honor them if at all possible. I think we should honor all commitments we've made so far in Social Security, but definitely change the program for the future to start eliminating costs. One big thing we can do is change the program so that we're only paying people who need it, not everyone including the rich.

You can thank FDR for that shit, and those that obliged...and the congresscritters that used the funds and left countless IOU's...and changed the rules.

Forum List

Back