What's your all-time favorite movie, and why?

All-time favorite that has stood the test of time for me is Casablanca. Pretty sophisticated movie for its time. Has a little bit of everything: suspense, action, comedy, romance and patriotism blended in at the right amounts without going overboard or being heavy-handed. The dialog is still far superior to anything put out by Hollywood since. The brilliance is in what's NOT said, and the subtlety of what IS said. Nowadays, Hollywood figures it has to dumb down the dialog and spell it all out for us.

Claude Rains is my favorite character as Captain Renault. There are too many great lines, but my favorite is when Rick has the gun and reminds Renault, "And remember, this gun is pointed at your heart." And Renault replies, "That is my least vulnerable spot."

Also, "Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects!"

Too many great lines!

It's changed again, right now it's:

Goodfellas

Gone with the Wind

Forbidden Planent.

Forbidden Planet was one of my all time favorites. Warner Brothers is developing it or a remake. I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Forbidden Planet was one of my all time favorites. Warner Brothers is developing it or a remake. I'm not sure that is a good idea.
I have a letterbox & normal view version of it, the letterbox really adds so much to the movie, the sets had incredible detail for a 1950s sci-fi movie.

I have a letterbox & normal view version of it, the letterbox really adds so much to the movie, the sets had incredible detail for a 1950s sci-fi movie.

I remember watching it as a kid and being terrified. The effects were quite good for a 1950's sci-fi movie. The sound effects also spooked me.

I just saw The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and it was excellent.

I remember watching it as a kid and being terrified. The effects were quite good for a 1950's sci-fi movie. The sound effects also spooked me.
The 'krell' music used throughout the film is outstanding, I think it's what sets the movie apart, it's downright creepy.

So much sci fi owes it's current form to this film, it is a true breakthrough type of movie, despite some 1950s morality thrown in (all male crew, guys hitting on anything in skirts, ect).

Morbius' reaction at the end, when he realizes what he has done is one of the best film endings of all, he takes responsibilty for it, and morns his own weaknesses.

The Edge - deals with survival and moral decisions in circumstances that you could literally get away with murder. And Anthony Hopkins is just an outstanding actor, of course.

Ravenous - ancient belief that drinking an enemy's blood/cannibalism will let you gather that other person's strength

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - outstandingly done, gives the "monster" a brain and a personality - not just a zombified mess of tissue

Dracula 2000 - vampire movie (yay), but not just run-of-the-mill vamp flick.

Hot Shots - Hot Shots Part Deux (nobody was better than LLoyd Bridges) - just classic

Blazing Saddles - ... how to describe the utter genius of this movie?

New Topics

Forum List

Back