What's wrong with this picture

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Anybody? .... Anybody? ... ... ... Bueller?

sepchurchstate.jpg

In what sense?

I was just struck by how he holds such high ideals, but apparently has no intention of separating church & state.

He certainly does not intend to separate church and state. He clearly dreams of a time when our government will fall into step with Catholic orthodoxy, where the President, Congress and Courts are dictated to by the Vatican. I think it is important to understand that when he says "Christian" he means "Catholic". However, given that the vast majority of American Catholics, let alone the rest of Christianity and non-Christianity, in this country does not agree with him. In fact, it is possible the only religious group which might agree with him with any consistency would be Islamic - and I'm not sure about that. So I don't think we are in any danger of that becoming a major issue for us.

I believe we can continue to focus efforts (for those so inclined) upon the real issue of maintaining women's right to control their own bodies without governmental interference.

In what sense?

I was just struck by how he holds such high ideals, but apparently has no intention of separating church & state.

He certainly does not intend to separate church and state. He clearly dreams of a time when our government will fall into step with Catholic orthodoxy, where the President, Congress and Courts are dictated to by the Vatican. I think it is important to understand that when he says "Christian" he means "Catholic". However, given that the vast majority of American Catholics, let alone the rest of Christianity and non-Christianity, in this country does not agree with him. In fact, it is possible the only religious group which might agree with him with any consistency would be Islamic - and I'm not sure about that. So I don't think we are in any danger of that becoming a major issue for us.

I believe we can continue to focus efforts (for those so inclined) upon the real issue of maintaining women's right to control their own bodies without governmental interference.

Good point on the 'christian v catholic, vatican' front.

You're quoting someone who no one knows and will never have power as though he is a serious leader.

In what sense?

Pretty scary stuff....as I've said...that kind of christianity is only the other side of the coin from islam.

Forum List

Back