What's wrong with the word 'negro'? How is 'black' politically more correct than 'negro'?

"Negro" is Spanish for "black." It was also a race, like Caucasian, Oriental, and Austrailoid. Of course now we don't believe in race, so...

American descendants of African slaves (of whom Our Beloved President is NOT one), have always proprietary about what one may call them without giving offense. When I was growing up, such people preferred to be called "Negroes," but "colored" was also acceptable. Calling one of them "black" was a serious insult - especially within that community.

In the late 60's we heard that "Black is beautiful," so Black was no longer an insult, and colored became identified with old "Uncle Tom's."

African American is nonsense, on steroids, but it is what they prefer, so WGAF?
"Yellow is mellow":afro:

"Black is black" :blsmile:

Who REALLY gives a fuck what they call themselves.

"Negro" is Spanish for "black." It was also a race, like Caucasian, Oriental, and Austrailoid. Of course now we don't believe in race, so...

American descendants of African slaves (of whom Our Beloved President is NOT one), have always proprietary about what one may call them without giving offense. When I was growing up, such people preferred to be called "Negroes," but "colored" was also acceptable. Calling one of them "black" was a serious insult - especially within that community.

In the late 60's we heard that "Black is beautiful," so Black was no longer an insult, and colored became identified with old "Uncle Tom's."

I do. Why do you suppose i have started this thread?
I actually don't understand why blacks impose taboo on some words?
it is not about how they call themselves. it is more about what name and words do they deserve...

It's only a matter of time before the word "black" itself becomes too offensive because of the negative impression it gives.

We should just start calling them Africans.

Maybe if blacks started acting civilized and stop filling up our prisons they wouldn't need to reimagine a new name for themselves every decade.

It's only a matter of time before the word "black" itself becomes too offensive because of the negative impression it gives.

Maybe if blacks started acting civilized and stop filling up our prisons they wouldn't need to reimagine a new name for themselves every decade.
Black will never give a negative impression. Black is the epitome of all colors.
Whites are the ones that fill our prisons. Obviously someone fooled you are you cant read the incarcerations totals.

I call them "Negroes" or "blacks" interchangeably. "African American" is the new politically correct term. I do not use it for two reasons: I oppose political correctness; it has too many syllables for my taste.

Whatever we call them becomes derogatory after awhile. When "African American" becomes a term of contempt I hope the enforcers of political correctness do not invent a term with even more syllables.

Negro is an American version of the Spanish word for black, negre.. Slang use is what is offensive since black people don't like to be called what they was when slaves....

No intent to offend somebody.
but a risky question indeed.
From wikipedia: The word “Negro” is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance, whether of African descent or not.
I have heard that in Eastern Europe 'Negro' is still a well accepted term for blacks, so I am curious what happened elsewhere?
What is your point of view?
Negro-Eyes-Covered.jpg
Negro is just another european fuckup of an african word. If people knew history this question would not need to be asked.

then black people invented that word, thanks for playing
I know we invented a word white people were too dumb to pronounce correctly. Thanks for playing.

I do. Why do you suppose i have started this thread?
I actually don't understand why blacks impose taboo on some words?
it is not about how they call themselves. it is more about what name and words do they deserve...

White bleeding heart liberals are more offended by it than blacks.

That must be a mistake of our liberal and tolerate Government. Negro is the politically correct term in Salvador, Brazil, where about 80 percent of the population is black. It is considered insulting to use 'black' to describe an individual, with the rational that the term should be reserved for the description of inanimate objects. People are proud to be called Negros there.

That must be a mistake of our liberal and tolerate Government. Negro is the politically correct term in Salvador, Brazil, where about 80 percent of the population is black. It is considered insulting to use 'black' to describe an individual, with the rational that the term should be reserved for the description of inanimate objects. People are proud to be called Negros there.
Sounds like you are too ignorant to understand negro is a Latin word meaning Black. Turns out Slavador and Brazil have languages that are based on that. Big difference from the english language where negro is a mildly insulting term that only the older generation of Blacks may use since its outdated. Let me help you out.

Negro - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

What is so hard about calling people what they would prefer to be called. I'm fine with calling you caucasian or white, when in reality you're pasty or pinky. I've been called redneck, Guera, blanca, white girl, and cracker.

None of them ever really bothered me.

What is so hard about calling people what they would prefer to be called. I'm fine with calling you caucasian or white, when in reality you're pasty or pinky. I've been called redneck, Guera, blanca, white girl, and cracker.

None of them ever really bothered me.
The single most telling thing about a person is their ability to put aside what they prefer to call a person in order to create harmony. Those that lack this ability tend to be the low hanging fruit on the tree of humanity.

No matter what you demand we call you, once we become accustomed to using it, you will demand we call you something else again. It's more about Negros, coloreds, *******, blacks, African Americans, envy and hatred of Caucasians and anger at being born black.

No matter what you demand we call you, once we become accustomed to using it, you will demand we call you something else again. It's more about Negros, coloreds, *******, blacks, African Americans, envy and hatred of Caucasians and anger at being born black.
So what? I'm not concerned with what you want to call me. If you changed your name once every year I'm going to call you by your new name.

Forum List

Back