What's wrong with smart guns?

Jeddahite

VIP Member
Oct 31, 2015
Smart guns, which will only shoot with the owner's fingerprint, would prevent children from shooting themselves and others, and thieves and criminals couldn't use them. Gun rights advocates will say they are a form of gun control and a violation of the second amendment rights. I say abide by the second amendment by owning a musket. When rapid fire guns were invented no gun rights person refused to use them because they weren't muskets. Time changes everything. As for hacking a smart gun, you're more likely to have your phone or computer hacked and that doesn't stop people from using them. And they worry that the government will "track" them. So? We've been tracked for years and it hasn't made an iota of difference in our lives.

Smart guns, which will only shoot with the owner's fingerprint, would prevent children from shooting themselves and others, and thieves and criminals couldn't use them. Gun rights advocates will say they are a form of gun control and a violation of the second amendment rights. I say abide by the second amendment by owning a musket. When rapid fire guns were invented no gun rights person refused to use them because they weren't muskets. Time changes everything. As for hacking a smart gun, you're more likely to have your phone or computer hacked and that doesn't stop people from using them. And they worry that the government will "track" them. So? We've been tracked for years and it hasn't made an iota of difference in our lives.

I was going to reply to this earlier, but my fucking phone wouldn't read my finger print and unlock...

I was going to reply to this earlier, but my fucking phone wouldn't read my finger print and unlock...

Buy a better phone or wait a week. Our technology is advancing very fast, and the rate of advancement is getting faster. Your phone probably uses technology from a couple of years ago.

Whats wrong with a breathalyzer ignition interlock on every car sold in America. How about a governor that limits speeds to the posted speed limit. Or a kill switch to disable your vehicle when the police want to stop you.

If you want a smart gun...by all means, get one. I follow the KISS method...keep it simple stupid. A firearm is something that...when you need it...you need it to work properly immediately. The simpler it is, the higher the probability that it will do just that.

If you decided to go skydiving...Which would you trust more. A regular parachute...or a fingerprint reading, electronically controlled parachute?

Why would you want a finger print reader on a parachute? Fingerprint readers are regularly used at the pentagon and nuclear facilities. Haven't heard about any problems using them there.

Whats wrong with a breathalyzer ignition interlock on every car sold in America. How about a governor that limits speeds to the posted speed limit. Or a kill switch to disable your vehicle when the police want to stop you.

If you want a smart gun...by all means, get one. I follow the KISS method...keep it simple stupid. A firearm is something that...when you need it...you need it to work properly immediately. The simpler it is, the higher the probability that it will do just that.

The claim is that 99.9999% of the time the gun isn't even fired. If that pro gun claim is correct you are safe with a toy gun that looks real.

If you decided to go skydiving...Which would you trust more. A regular parachute...or a fingerprint reading, electronically controlled parachute?

Why would you want a finger print reader on a parachute? Fingerprint readers are regularly used at the pentagon and nuclear facilities. Haven't heard about any problems using them there.

You wouldn't, even If there was a pressing need for it.

It's an analogy of a life or death situation where a mechanical device must work immediately.

If you wouldn't trust your life to this technology on a parachute...that answers the question "what's wrong with smart guns" quite succinctly.

It's an analogy of a life or death situation where a mechanical device must work immediately.

If you wouldn't trust your life to this technology on a parachute...that answers the question "what's wrong with smart guns" quite succinctly.

The chance you would ever need it is really slim. The chance you would ever need it and it would fail is astronomically slim...

Nope. There is a use for limiting who can use a gun, I figure if a person is wearing a parachute, it's his call if he uses it.

False comparison.
You can't kill (or even injure) anybody by opening a parachute.

False comparison.
You can't kill (or even injure) anybody by opening a parachute.

Plus if you jump out of a plane there is a 100% chance you need to use a parachute. On any given day there is about a 0% chance you will need to fire your gun.

The biggest problem is they don't work. If they worked 100% of the time most here would not be against them.

Forum List

Back