Whats wrong with Newt Gingrich's immigration stance?

Simple solution:

1. Have much tighter border security
2. If you are illegal and want to become a citizen, pay a fine for breaking our laws by entering illegally. Then you are eligible for a temporary legal visa pending background check. If you clear, then you become a citizen. Fail, deportation.

$1,000 a person too high? Too low? I think it's about right.

It's a reasonable and moderate solution to a terribly large and complicated problem. I fail to see why anyone, including the gop wouldn't accept it. The solution doesn't help either party over the other. It would bring tax revenue out from under the black market. It could prevent crimes from going unpunished thus not leaving criminals roaming the streets.
I just don't see the downside unless we don't lock the border down. Not to mention it could help increase payscales in the agriculture and construction industries.
Since when have "reasonable" & "moderate" been words associated w/ contemporary Repubs? :eusa_eh: They have been all hellfire & brimstone for years now especially regarding immigration.

Um, you must have seen a different 08 election process than I did.

The one that nominated a candidate that todays USMB Righties claim wasn't a true conservative? That election process?

Since when have "reasonable" & "moderate" been words associated w/ contemporary Repubs? :eusa_eh: They have been all hellfire & brimstone for years now especially regarding immigration.

The one that nominated a candidate that todays USMB Righties claim wasn't a true conservative? That election process?

Most of on the right who voted as Republicans ALWAYS questioned McCains conservative credentials...and for good reason.

He had 27 years to apply for citizenship. His problem.

Actually no, if he came to the US legally when he as three and his parents failed to return to his birth country, or otherwise take appropriate action with regard to the family’s immigration status. See: Weber v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. (1972), it’s un-Constitutional for children to be punished for the misdeeds of their parents.

But there are only two choices: continue to ignore the issue and do nothing or implement some sort of program allowing those here illegally to realize citizenship. They all can’t be deported, that will never happen.

Most of on the right who voted as Republicans ALWAYS questioned McCains conservative credentials...and for good reason.
They did indeed because about evry time McCain reached across the aisle to gladhand the Statists? This Republic got screwed.

So Newt wants to give Amnesty to the people he caused to come here? First Newt supported amnesty with Reagan, then Newt never cracked down and enforced the law during his time in congress and now he wants to grant Amnesty again?

Seems like Newt's plan of just passing Amnesty every 30 years is bullshit. Not to mention the massive costs to figure out who gets to stay and who gets deported.

The answer is simple, turn off the magnets. No Free Health care to illegal’s, no jobs, no welfare...

No more fucking Amnesty, it just brings more illegals. Newt was part of the problem.

“I am not for amnesty for 11 million people. I’m actually not for amnesty for anyone. I’m not for a path to citizenship for any people who are out here illegally, ” Gingrich said forcefully at a town hall event in Naples, Florida. “But I am for a path to legality for those people whose ties run so deeply in America that it would truly be a tragedy to try and rip their family apart.”

CNN Political TickerAll politics, all the time - CNN.com Blogs

Is there actually anyone here who would deport a 30 year old who has been here since he was 3?

Seriously

I would, but I expect that someone that was in leadership like Gingrich would be far to my left on this issue. So it doesn't suprise. As long as we elect more tea party conservatives in 2012--- we won't have a bill on newts desk to give amnesty!

You know its hardline position like yours that keeps us stuck in this rut. So rather than closing the boarder and trying to find a compromise that can get through dc you would rather just have.....

Our schools underfunded because of illegals
Our hospitals giving free care to non legals that never pay it back
Crime that goes unreported and unpunished
Agriculture and construction wages stagnant because of low illegal wages
Tax money wasted on people who contribute very little
A never ending flow over our border
Americans losing jobs to illegals

And the list goes on and on.

Your racial hatred of minorities will cost us money in the long run

Do you ever get tired of being the Big Government "conservative" who talks just like a Progressive Liberal?

12 million illegal’s... Why can't we deport them?

1 million get to stay... Why?

so 11 million left....

How do you deport 11 million illegal’s?

Grats, you just spent more money and fixed nothing, in fact you made it worse.

Last edited:
I would, but I expect that someone that was in leadership like Gingrich would be far to my left on this issue. So it doesn't suprise. As long as we elect more tea party conservatives in 2012--- we won't have a bill on newts desk to give amnesty!

You know its hardline position like yours that keeps us stuck in this rut. So rather than closing the boarder and trying to find a compromise that can get through dc you would rather just have.....

Our schools underfunded because of illegals
Our hospitals giving free care to non legals that never pay it back
Crime that goes unreported and unpunished
Agriculture and construction wages stagnant because of low illegal wages
Tax money wasted on people who contribute very little
A never ending flow over our border
Americans losing jobs to illegals

And the list goes on and on.

Your racial hatred of minorities will cost us money in the long run

Do you ever get tired of being the Big Government "conservative" who talks just like a Progressive Liberal?

1 million get to stay... Why?

so 11 million left....

How do you deport 11 million illegal’s?

Grats, you just spent more money and fixed nothing, in fact you made it worse.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Charlie Brown Teacher Speaking - YouTube[/ame]

“I am not for amnesty for 11 million people. I’m actually not for amnesty for anyone. I’m not for a path to citizenship for any people who are out here illegally, ” Gingrich said forcefully at a town hall event in Naples, Florida. “But I am for a path to legality for those people whose ties run so deeply in America that it would truly be a tragedy to try and rip their family apart.”

Is there actually anyone here who would deport a 30 year old who has been here since he was 3?
Seriously
The reality is America doesn't have the resources or the political will to apprehend, process, provide due process and deport 11 to 15 million illegals.

Gingrich and Perry also realize that demographically, Hispanics are the fastest growing group in America and to deport illegals on a massive scale would alienate that group for generations.

By 2050, Hispanics and Blacks will account for 43% of the US population - if they vote overwhelming for the Democrats, Republicans would need a minimum of 86% of the "white" vote just to be competative.

You clearly have no idea the time and expense involved in indicting, trying, convicting, and deporting twelve million persons; not to mention appeals and asylum requests to be processed.

An orderly process resulting in legal status and/or citizenship is preferable on many levels. And this isn’t ‘amnesty,’ fines, back taxes and the like would be paid along with ‘getting in back of the line’; this calls for a reasonable, pragmatic approach.

Or are you advocating the ignorant racist option: throw the Constitution out of the window and herd them into cattle cars.

Liberals in California have been arguing in favor of Newt's loose illegal immigration policy forever.

Liberals and Newt Gingrich want lawbreakers to be forgiven.

Ultra-right pundits like Michael Savage say you should not reward anyone who broke the laws of this country. Rewarding lawbreakers creates magnets and leads to moral hazards.

States like California are losing english as a first language because of all the people who illegally crossed the boarder 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. Rewarding any single one of these criminals is first step to destroying our sacred borders, language, and culture.

(God help us because Republican voters care more about their Washington leaders than the laws of this great nations. And, if their leaders say it's "ok" to break the law, than Republican voters will follow like lemmings. God help us)

Here is the thing.

Unlike Newt Gingrich and the new flip-flop Republican Party, I believe in the US Constitution.

And guess what? I don't care if you broke the law yesterday or 25 years ago. I'm not going to bend our sacred document for you. I don't care if big business and Newt Gingrich want to flood America with newly legalized cheap labor. I don't care how much contempt Newt Gingrich has for American workers or American Laws or the English language. I shall defend this great nation against Newt and the GOP.

Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, "Improper Entry by Alien,"
any citizen of any country other than the United States who:

Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place
other than as designated by immigration officers; or

Eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or

Attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully
false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a
material fact; has committed a federal crime.

Bush shredded the Constitution with the Patriot Act & and the destruction of Habeas corpus. He used the War on Terrorism to destroy the rights of American citizens. Don't take my word for it. Check out this book published by the rightwing CATO institute. Power Surge: The Constitutional Record of George W. Bush | Cato Institute Store

God help us because Newt Gingrich has less respect for the constitution than Bush. God help us people - the Republicans are coming back.

Last edited:

Yeah and we are trying to stop repeat offenders but some have amnesia. I never can understand why people miss that salient point and some continue to repeat it.

Nevertheless, no one force the illegals to come to our country. They came on their own free will.

You clearly have no idea the time and expense involved in indicting, trying, convicting, and deporting twelve million persons; not to mention appeals and asylum requests to be processed.

An orderly process resulting in legal status and/or citizenship is preferable on many levels. And this isn’t ‘amnesty,’ fines, back taxes and the like would be paid along with ‘getting in back of the line’; this calls for a reasonable, pragmatic approach.

Or are you advocating the ignorant racist option: throw the Constitution out of the window and herd them into cattle cars.

Why does the taxpayer foot the bill?

Seriously

Actually that basically mirrors the point Obama was making, doesn' it?

Deporting young adults who spend their entire childhoods here in the USA and who know no other land is just stupid policy.

The problem with NEWT'S PLAN, isn't, I think, philosophical. I agree with him that people who have integrated themselves into this society as he'd outlined it, ought to be allowed to stay.

The problem isn't the theory, it's the implementation of it.

Basiclly somebody has to decide WHO is a good citizen and who isn't.

It's doable, I think, but a time consuming process.

That's why "most of you on the right" were so thrilled to see a REAL conservative "selected" to the White House......George W Bush.

It doesn't make sense to take a stand that your base will rail against. Repubs hate this idea.

YOu know what, not really. Bush was for Amnesty, he still won- twice. McCain was for Amnesty, he still won the nomination over Romney and his race-baiting. (If only those illegals were "White and Delightsome", eh, Mitt?)

Perry stumbled over this issue because he explained his position badly, on top of a series of equally bad debate performances.

The media will make a big deal about this because they want to make a big deal, but frankly, I'm not seeing anyone here making a big deal about it except the usual suspects.

Forum List

Back