What's wrong with America?

freethought

Rookie
Sep 14, 2008
I've heard the line used by Barack Obama that he believes that "what's wrong with America, can be changed by what's right with America." Or words to that effect.

But I'm looking at the polls that show the race as a dead heat, and I think Obama is overestimating what is right with America.

Over the last 28 years the democrats have held the white house for only 8.

The trend during those 8 years was a strong economy, a shrinking deficit into the realm of a balanced budget. During the other 20 years (Reagan, Bush Sr, dubya) the economy has experienced multiple recessions, and seen an 8 trillion dollar increase in the federal debt.

Right now the meltdowns, the bankruptcies the mortgage crisis can almost all be attributed to lack of regulation, risky investment, and overall failure of government oversight. Whistles were blown, flags were waved and a republican congress and white house did nothing.

Now with high and rising unemployment, rising inflation, a severely weakened dollar, a plunging stock market, trade deficits and declining exports/rising imports, massive debt and deficit and miniscule growth, we have an election where all of these problems can basically be tied to one party, and the polls are tied.

On top of that there's Iraq, Afghanistan, bin Laden is free, torture, Abu Graib, declining freedoms and government spying, Katrina, Alberto Gonzalez, federal prosecutors, etc. etc. etc.

One of the candidates has gone along with 90% of this and maintains that the economy is fundamentally strong.

And we are TIED IN THE POLLS

If this continues then I'm afraid that Barack Obama is simply wrong, and that what's right with America, apparently can't overcome what's wrong. And the ultimate proof will be the election of John McCain.

I've heard the line used by Barack Obama that he believes that "what's wrong with America, can be changed by what's right with America." Or words to that effect.

But I'm looking at the polls that show the race as a dead heat, and I think Obama is overestimating what is right with America.

The trend during those 8 years was a strong economy, a shrinking deficit into the realm of a balanced budget. During the other 20 years (Reagan, Bush Sr, dubya) the economy has experienced multiple recessions, and seen an 8 trillion dollar increase in the federal debt.

Right now the meltdowns, the bankruptcies the mortgage crisis can almost all be attributed to lack of regulation, risky investment, and overall failure of government oversight. Whistles were blown, flags were waved and a republican congress and white house did nothing.

Now with high and rising unemployment, rising inflation, a severely weakened dollar, a plunging stock market, trade deficits and declining exports/rising imports, massive debt and deficit and miniscule growth, we have an election where all of these problems can basically be tied to one party, and the polls are tied.

On top of that there's Iraq, Afghanistan, bin Laden is free, torture, Abu Graib, declining freedoms and government spying, Katrina, Alberto Gonzalez, federal prosecutors, etc. etc. etc.

One of the candidates has gone along with 90% of this and maintains that the economy is fundamentally strong.

If this continues then I'm afraid that Barack Obama is simply wrong, and that what's right with America, apparently can't overcome what's wrong. And the ultimate proof will be the election of John McCain.

Yeah we're tied in the polls because what you call "government oversight" others call "government interference." I most certainly did not prosper under Clinton. Matter of fact I lost income because of his tax policies. I haven't prospered under Bush either. But I haven't lost either.

Now we are looking at a choice of McCain saying no new taxes (yes, I know we've heard that before), versus Obama's CERTAIN increased taxation. Since I feel I'm being robbed to begin with, I'm not voting for a certain tax increase.

Yeah we're tied in the polls because what you call "government oversight" others call "government interference." I most certainly did not prosper under Clinton. Matter of fact I lost income because of his tax policies. I haven't prospered under Bush either. But I haven't lost either.

Now we are looking at a choice of McCain saying no new taxes (yes, I know we've heard that before), versus Obama's CERTAIN increased taxation. Since I feel I'm being robbed to begin with, I'm not voting for a certain tax increase.

Still, ecomically things are usually better under a Dem. Repubs like to spend, spend spend

On whose watch was legislation signed that loosened regulations on the banking industry. I'll give you one guess. Starts with a C. Not to mention the ten years he sat there and let the terrorists kick his butt. That starts with a C also. Eight, make that eight years.

Last edited:
On whose watch was legislation signed that loosened regulations on the banking industry. I'll give you one guess. Starts with a C. Not to mention the ten years he sat there and let the terrorists kick his butt. That starts with a C also. Eight, make that eight years.

Yeah, so many terrorists kicked his butt :cuckoo:
That aside, he left the country with a surplus....

The 8 democrat years you're referring too are the Clinton years.

Really, Bill Clinton was not signing 200K new paychecks per month.

If you want to give thanks, it would be better to send Thank You letters to Bill Gates, & John Chambers & many others in the high tech industry that put our economy into a major boom period during that time. Bill was simply lucky enough to be sitting in the oval office during this time period.

Presidents do not control economies, the private sector does. Presidents & congress can influence economies with their tax policies. Higher taxes do not stimulate new job creation. The federal reserve can influence our economy by raising or lowering short term interest rates.

Nope, and any terrorists that did "kick his butt" were supplied and funded by Reagan/Bush 41 when those two were President.

:eusa_whistle:

he didn't leave a surplus either.

Fiscal
Year Year
Ending National Debt Deficit
FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

The comment about bank and financial sector being passed by Clinton is only half the story:
(I can't post URLs, so type cnn before the rest of the link for the story.
ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/12/banking.reform/index.html] ---Clinton signs banking overhaul measure - November 12, 1999

It was an initiative that was undertaken by a republican congress, which Clinton helped produce. To put it squarely on Clinton simply isn't accurate. But more than that it doesn't speak to the current situation. Some of the problems can be traced back to the legislation, but that doesn't excuse or explain what's happened since Jan 20 2001. Again, many economists, industry analysts etc all raised warnings, but nothing was done.

To bring up terrorists and bill clinton as pertaining to the topic of this post either means you didn't read the post or your part of 'what's wrong with America.' It doesn't apply, but more than that your assertion is flat out and demonstrably wrong.

I think the bigger issue when it comes to the economy isn't so much a raise in taxes. The nation has debt and needs to pay that debt off, otherwise, just like all those people who have lost their homes, the creditors that hold our debt, may come and take metaphorical homes.

If you have debt, you cut back on certain things, you try to make more money and you put more of what you do make towards paying it back. That's what America needs to do. That may mean a tax raise, but it's also sound economic and financial policy. To deny that is obtuse. How, if any, raise in taxes should be implement can and should be debated.

But it comes down to people not realizing any of these problems or refusing to do anything about the problems mentioned here, and in the OP. Moreover, voting for a man that seems to want to continue many if not most of the problematic policies is the worst thing that can happen, and yet it's something roughly half of Americans are thinking of doing, and that's INSANE. What's the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....

The slogan of "it;s the economy, stupid," probably needs to be changed to "Stupid, it's the economy," for this election. Maybe that will make people understand.

I'm for anyone who's economic policies take money away from free loaders like Gunny.

n.

If you want to know what's wrong with america, ask Todd Palin. He belonged to the alaskan independence party. They want to suceed from the united states.

We also have anti stem cell, abstenence only, anti rights, global warming denying anti choice people being inserte into politics.

Sarah Palin is a radical christian. end of days type. speak in tongues.

Mccain has malinoma. 1/3 chance of surviving till 80.

no way.

If you want to know what's wrong with america, ask Todd Palin. He belonged to the alaskan independence party. They want to suceed from the united states.

Secede, not succeed.

se·cede
intr.v. se·ced·ed, se·ced·ing, se·cedes
To withdraw formally from membership in an organization, association, or alliance.

he didn't leave a surplus either.

Fiscal
Year Year
Ending National Debt Deficit
FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

Learn some economics before posting. There is a difference between the National Debt and a surplus. Economics 101 my lad...

We also have anti stem cell, abstenence only, anti rights, global warming denying anti choice people being inserte into politics.

Sarah Palin is a radical christian. end of days type. speak in tongues.

Mccain has malinoma. 1/3 chance of surviving till 80.

no way.

What does Todd Palin have to do with the candidates? Are you going to bring up his DUI from 22 years ago now? If you want the right to lay off Michelle Obama for saying she has never been proud of her country, lay off Palin's spouse and her daughter. One standard will do just fine.

What does Todd Palin have to do with the candidates? Are you going to bring up his DUI from 22 years ago now? If you want the right to lay off Michelle Obama for saying she has never been proud of her country, lay off Palin's spouse and her daughter. One standard will do just fine.

Todd Palin was putting pressure on public safety for Milfy Mooseturd. She lied to the public when she said no one talked to public safety. Now she is going down.

You're comparing somebody NOT saying something versus somebody who's husband drove drunk and somebody who preaches abstinance but has a 17 year old daughter Up the Junction? Good grief. I've heard it all now....Stick to singing Elvis!

You're comparing somebody NOT saying something versus somebody who's husband drove drunk and somebody who preaches abstinance but has a 17 year old daughter Up the Junction? Good grief. I've heard it all now....Stick to singing Elvis!

"Stick to singing" God that was original, next you'll tell me to leave the building. A mother believing in abstinence doesn't mean her daughter will follow her in that belief. It doesn't make Sarah a hippocrite, although she may be one. Her husband's drunk driving was 20 years ago. Do we want to talk about what Obama was doing 20 years ago? Did Michelle not say she was proud of her country for the first time? Please point out my error if those words didn't come out of her mouth.
It was wrong of the right to attack Michelle and it's wrong for the left to go after Sarah's family.

Forum List

Back