CDZ What's with the TL;DR thing?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
No surprise that some folks may think my posts are too long and thus they don't read them. I understand that. What I don't understand is why folks make the effort to share that they found a post TL and thus the DR it.

Why I don't get it is because I've encountered prose that is too long therefore I don't read it. You know what I have to say about such works? Nothing. And why would I?
  • The writer has already written it.
  • Other readers who are interested in the material will read it regardless of whether I do.
  • There is no better way to cast myself as a complete idiot than to offer as the sole discrediting factor is that it is too long, "sole" because since I didn't read it, I can no thoughts about its substantive merit, or lack thereof.
  • If, instead, I'm merely informing the world that I didn't read the work because it has too many words, well, okay, but how self-absorbed must I have been to think that the world would want or need to know that?

No surprise that some folks may think my posts are too long and thus they don't read them. I understand that. What I don't understand is why folks make the effort to share that they found a post TL and thus the DR it.

Why I don't get it is because I've encountered prose that is too long therefore I don't read it. You know what I have to say about such works? Nothing. And why would I?
  • Other readers who are interested in the material will read it regardless of whether I do.
  • There is no better way to cast myself as a complete idiot than to offer as the sole discrediting factor is that it is too long, "sole" because since I didn't read it, I can no thoughts about its substantive merit, or lack thereof.
  • If, instead, I'm merely informing the world that I didn't read the work because it has too many words, well, okay, but how self-absorbed must I have been to think that the world would want or need to know that?
DILLIGAF?

So that you'll quit filling your posts with lots of nothing. They WANT to read your posts, but when you write an entire three page report that could be summarized in one sentence, nobody is going to bother. You are a PRO at expanding a single sentence into a massive post just to impress yourself, so nobody reads them. It also feels like you hold a dictionary while you do it(And you most likely do) just so you can attempt to sound like you have a larger vocabulary than you actually do. In other words, it's because your posts are long, pointless, and stupid, and people want you to know that so you'll eventually learn how to properly engage in debate without wasting everyone's time, but you're blaming everyone else for it, so you likely won't learn.

So that you'll quit filling your posts with lots of nothing. They WANT to read your posts, but when you write an entire three page report that could be summarized in one sentence, nobody is going to bother. You are a PRO at expanding a single sentence into a massive post just to impress yourself, so nobody reads them. It also feels like you hold a dictionary while you do it(And you most likely do) just so you can attempt to sound like you have a larger vocabulary than you actually do. In other words, it's because your posts are long, pointless, and stupid, and people want you to know that so you'll eventually learn how to properly engage in debate without wasting everyone's time, but you're blaming everyone else for it, so you likely won't learn.
NOW THAT'S A GAWD DAMN POST!!!!!!!!!!!

It's meant to irritate the poster who posted some long ass post.

Oh, well TY for the explanation.

How bizarre?....I've always found the best way to irk a writer is to deliver a substantive sacathing rebuttal. Are there actually writers for whom anything other than that will get under their skin? I don't know why a writer would give a wet rat's ass about learning that someone didn't read what they wrote. After all, writers have a target audience and not everyone is in it, and folk who think something too long to read are definitely not in the target audience.

NOW THAT'S A GAWD DAMN POST!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you~

Sadly, Mr. Psuedo-intellectual has me on Ignore because I've basically stated this stuff before, so he can't read it~

The truth hurts sometimes, you know?

if it takes 320 seconds or less to read your post, okay, more than that, the post needs a short-short-version-summary-tag-line-gist-of-it at the end.

How bizarre?....I've always found the best way to irk a writer is to deliver a substantive sacathing rebuttal. Are there actually writers for whom anything other than that will get under their skin? I don't know why a writer would give a wet rat's ass about learning that someone didn't read what they wrote. After all, writers have a target audience and not everyone is in it, and folk who think something too long to read are definitely not in the target audience.
You have already stated in a thread that you are leaving the day AFTER the election. That makes you a hack. Do you really think readers who will invest THEIR time want to read a hack? That makes you a half notch above a spammer. Deal with it.

This is a reasonable length OP. People tend to like small bites of info on a message board. Not a novel!

You have already stated in a thread that you are leaving the day AFTER the election. That makes you a hack. Do you really think readers who will invest THEIR time want to read a hack? That makes you a half notch above a spammer. Deal with it.
Good riddance, really. All he does is inflate pages with useless content. We already have the Insane Clown Posse for that.

if it takes 320 seconds or less to read your post, okay, more than that, the post needs a short-short-version-summary-tag-line-gist-of-it at the end.
An Excutive Summery would be nice.

Let me ask you something since the thread is basically on members and interaction. Ho many of your threads has he been on? Anybody for that matter?

Yet here you are.

Good riddance, really. All he does is inflate pages with useless content. We already have the Insane Clown Posse for that.

Yet you seem desperate for his attention. He has you on ignore, you know this, and yet you reply obsessively to his posts. Why?

Let me ask you something since the thread is basically on members and interaction. Ho many of your threads has he been on? Anybody for that matter?
I comment on other peoples threads much more often than I start threads. So I would not expect 320 to be on many of my treads...
It is also common for OP of a thread to comment more on his own thread than on others.

I have to hand it to 320.... It would be full time job for me to try to create the volume of words he puts into a many of his post.

I wonder how long this tread is going to survive. Seems like the topic has opened 320 to some critism that may not be appropriate for CDZ.

Yet you seem desperate for his attention. He has you on ignore, you know this, and yet you reply obsessively to his posts. Why?
I have nothing better to do, really, I'm mostly just curious whether or not he'll hit the "Show Ignored Content" button to see what's being said~

So, desperate isn't the right word, then again, nor is "obsessively", since I replied to all of one of his posts. You're either purposely misusing the English language, or you don't understand the English language. Take your pick.

That or I can re-ignore you, since you never have anything of substance to add to any conversation and just stalk the board, trolling people. I only even read your 'posts' when I'm bored, anyway.

I comment on other peoples threads much more often than I start threads. So I would not expect 320 to be on many of my treads...
It is also common for OP of a thread to comment more on his own thread than on others.

I have to hand it to 320.... It would be full time job for me to try to create the volume of words he puts into a many of his post.

I wonder how long this tread is going to survive. Seems like the topic has opened 320 to some critism that may not be appropriate for CDZ.
In which case I bow out.

Forum List

Back