What's with some on the right and purity?

The Tea Party is a conservative movement within the republican party. It doesn't speak for the republican party. The term "purity" is offensive, possibly deliberately so. Ever see a democrat that didn't toe the line about the abortion issue? Joe Lieberman was the democrat VP candidate and they threw him out of the party when he didn't "toe the line" about the war in Iraq.

"Ever see a democrat that didn't toe the line about the abortion issue?"

yes.

"Joe Lieberman was the democrat VP candidate and they threw him out of the party when he didn't "toe the line" about the war in Iraq."

it's hard to choose, from so many stupid statements made by so many deranged people on this board..

but this is certainly a candidate for STUPIDEST STATEMENT EVER MADE on t his board!

congratulations!

lieberman LEFT the party on his own and became a conservative-leaning independent

and the OP specifically admitted that there are, indeed, democrats and liberals who "toe the party line"

his/her point was that it seems to be MORE PREVALENT amongst conservatives and republicans...

hence; the term RINO is quite familiar to us all while the term DINO is NOT often used

stop being stupid

Let's see..."stupid statements by deranged people", "stupidist statement ever made", "stop being stupid" ...all in one post. Anybody ever sit down with you and tell you how to argue a point without using the word "stupid"? Calm down and stop being so hateful. Lieberman was forced to run as an independent when the democrat party decided not to back his re-election. Yeah it was his choice but what other choice did he have? Abortion? You could count the democrats who are on record as being against abortion on one or two fingers who even before the were sent home packing last november.

There is no ideal of purity.

We are different, we notice the differences and do our best to get along for the comon good.

you guys like to call that "lock step". An insulting reference to nazis.

Take a look at the last 2 years, you had a super majority, something that NEVER happened. The liberals were stocked, you were going to get shit done, but ooohhh nooo, the progs raised thier heads, exposed themselves and even the libs went WTF! And very little of what you coulda gotten done got sucked up with the need to pass out bribes.

Conservatives woulda gotten shit done.

We dont like corruption as we've been screwed by it for the last century.

Not really sure why you would want corruption.

Do you really want politicians ignoring their restrains placed on them by the Constitution? Do you want politicians supporting themselves, their friends, and their supporters on the tax payers dole? do you like them spending money we dont have for programs we dont need?

So supporting something like the repealing of DADT is corruption?

Or voting pro-choice?

Or voting for a tax increase?

Things of that nature?

No. Voting for things like that make you a RINO. I think...it is so hard to keep up with "the base" anymore....:confused:

Principles of the Republican Base

and yes, they used to be democrats, before the Southern Strategy and all that

Not really though ... I think it's fair to say this phenomenon is more prevalent on the right. "Conservatism" is practically a religion to some of these people.

and liberalism or 'progressivism' isn't? come now.

I think it would be interesting to take 100 self described liberals and 100 self described conservatives and ask them to define their respective ideologies and see which group has a more uniform set of answers.
I doubt many on either side could form an intelligent answer

Hell, how many self-described Liberals even know what Liberalism really is? And those self-described conservatives? Conservatism isn't an ideology- it simply means preference for the status quo or status quo ante, either as pertains to a given matter or as a general trend in thought [or lack thereof].

Few on either side could name their ideology or sum up their beliefs, let alone describe in brief how they want to see a government arranged or what actual changes they'd see put beyond the current talking points.

The Tea Party is a conservative movement within the republican party. It doesn't speak for the republican party. The term "purity" is offensive, possibly deliberately so. Ever see a democrat that didn't toe the line about the abortion issue? Joe Lieberman was the democrat VP candidate and they threw him out of the party when he didn't "toe the line" about the war in Iraq.

yes.

"Joe Lieberman was the democrat VP candidate and they threw him out of the party when he didn't "toe the line" about the war in Iraq."

it's hard to choose, from so many stupid statements made by so many deranged people on this board..

but this is certainly a candidate for STUPIDEST STATEMENT EVER MADE on t his board!

congratulations!

lieberman LEFT the party on his own and became a conservative-leaning independent

and the OP specifically admitted that there are, indeed, democrats and liberals who "toe the party line"

his/her point was that it seems to be MORE PREVALENT amongst conservatives and republicans...

hence; the term RINO is quite familiar to us all while the term DINO is NOT often used

stop being stupid
tow

not toe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnpOeGwv7U

Seriously, though, it's all about ingroup psychology

Fantasy chains?
you lost me

It's a method of building group cohesiveness and identity using symbolism, storytelling, inside jokes and other methods for creating and strengthening the group. It's part of symbolic convergence theory.

http://www.vayne.com/symbolic_conversion.htm

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...&q=symbolic convergence fantasy chain&f=false

I'd always seen the term used more for small groups and organizations, but I can see how a form of it would fit larger groups as well. :eusa_think:

Last edited:

yes.

congratulations!

stop being stupid
tow

not toe

not tow...it's TOE as in "toe the line"...an idiomatic expression meaning to conform to a rule or standard

We dont like corruption as we've been screwed by it for the last century.

Not really sure why you would want corruption.

Do you really want politicians ignoring their restrains placed on them by the Constitution? Do you want politicians supporting themselves, their friends, and their supporters on the tax payers dole? do you like them spending money we dont have for programs we dont need?

So supporting something like the repealing of DADT is corruption?

Or voting pro-choice?

Or voting for a tax increase?

Things of that nature?

Supporting DADT is what it is. It shouldn't cost anything, so go for it.

As long as there is no funding for abortions in any way at any time for any reason, it shouldn't cost anything, so go for it.

They already have all the money they need if they would examine everthing spent and not spend on the tunnels for salamanders and so forth. Voting for a tax increase for our law makers to use is like voting for a Coconut Cream Pie for an over eater to use.

The whole deal is this:

We need to govern and get things done. we don't need to spend money that we don't have on things that we don't need to quote the poster above.

CUT SPENDING AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!

yes.

congratulations!

stop being stupid
tow

not toe

not tow...it's TOE as in "toe the line"...an idiomatic expression meaning to conform to a rule or standard
how much can you tow with your big toe?

I know ... like I said ... I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevalent as is on the right.

The only reason you don't see it as equally prevalent on the left is that you agree with them. You overlook the flaws of your side and blow those of your opposition out of proportion.

Not really though ... I think it's fair to say this phenomenon is more prevalent on the right. "Conservatism" is practically a religion to some of these people.

You're kidding, right?

I have observed that there are those on the right who are often measuring one another based on some idea of what a "real" conservative is ... the term RINO is given to Republicans who don't toe the party line enough.

I think it gives power to conservatives as it simplifies the message. Notice how even Christine O'Donnell was excused her idiocy because she stuck to the conservative talking points. Life is obviously not this simple, but there are only ten commandments, and for conservatives three issues: government, taxes, and progressives (used to be liberals). Makes targets easy and blame simple. Liberals will never learn this as individual freedom means harder choices. http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/148425-my-new-year-resolutions.html#post3144063

Liberals seem prone to avoid making the harder choices. They controlled both houses of Congress for 4 years and ever part of the lagislating process for two years and made tha hard choices to move the deficit from about 1.5% of GDP to about 10.5% of GDP.

I gues the choice was to spend it all. Being the party that looks to the future, they spent some from the future, too.

They managed to do this with omnibus bills and continuing resolutions.

What a party. Thank God these guys are the smartest folks on the planet or we really would have been in trouble.

They have one job: Make a budget and stick to it. They failed. Period.

I have observed that there are those on the right who are often measuring one another based on some idea of what a "real" conservative is ... the term RINO is given to Republicans who don't toe the party line enough.

I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevelant as is on the right.

What gives?

I believe it has to do mostly with the Religious right. Religious positions are usually not very negotiable and that leads to low tolerance for those of us on the right like me, who do not hold to the Christian rights idea of what a conservative is.

and liberalism or 'progressivism' isn't? come now.

I think it would be interesting to take 100 self described liberals and 100 self described conservatives and ask them to define their respective ideologies and see which group has a more uniform set of answers.

What might uniformity demonstrate?

I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevelant as is on the right.

What gives?

Really? How about Zel Miller and Lieberman? I mean 4 years after running as the parties Vice President on the National Ticket the party kicked Lieberman to the curb.

Dood. Lieberman campaigned for the Republican presidential candidate. That's a little more than just "Not toeing the line."

Thank you for proving my point.

Say what you will but we have had threads here about how liberals don't even like calling themselves liberals but if somehow conservatism could be brewed into an energy drink it would fly off the shelves.

God willing, some would be sold to the White house caterers.

I don't mind free thinking. God knows, I've done my share of that. I don't even mind free spending if the spender is spending his own money.

However, when the free thinkers think that free thinking and free spending are the same thing and they feel the need to spend my money freely so they can think freely, They are just wrong.

The Federal budget is not a Piggy Bank for the terminally stupid to raid if they get the itch to spend freely. It's my money and yours and should only be spent on the very needed functions of government.

Cutting all spending and Federal wage rates back to 2008 levels and keeping it there is a great place to start. Worried that someone might quit in protest. No problem! We have 17 million people waiting to take that job at the 2008 wage level.

Thank you for proving my point.

Say what you will but we have had threads here about how liberals don't even like calling themselves liberals but if somehow conservatism could be brewed into an energy drink it would fly off the shelves.

Don't worry your little pointy head about it, you and Jake have Detroit, Newark, NYC with a $4B shortfall and can't even clear snow off the streets, 10% national unemployment, record debt deficits and poverty. You run on your record, we'll run on ours.

Omg, you are that stupid. As if the underlying problems didn't exist until 1-20-09.

Forum List

Back