What's with some on the right and purity?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Article 15, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I have observed that there are those on the right who are often measuring one another based on some idea of what a "real" conservative is ... the term RINO is given to Republicans who don't toe the party line enough.

I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevelant as is on the right.

What gives?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    It's part of a larger issue, I think. To some extent (and I'm not lumping ALL Conservatives in here) - a prevalent mindset of Conservatives is to be a part of a victimized, overwhelmed but true minority, who will, in the end, be victorous over the evil massive left wing conspiracy - because like in a movie, that is what should happen. The labeling of "RINO" to anyone who doesn't toe the ideological line makes the "true" Conservatives vindicated in their belief that the massive left-wing conspiracy is everywhere.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,772
    it's basically the "no true scotsman" fallacy. and it is pretty much universal.

4. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I've seen my fair share of lefties who buy the evil right wing conspiracy and that they're noble victims etc. etc.

Which group has more? I'm not sure.

5. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    At the moment? With (the tail end of) a all-Democrat controlled government? Without question, the right.

When Bush was president, it was the other way around.

6. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

When I first heard the term, "RINO", my immediate impression was that there were RINO's and then there were Republicans who actually were Republicans with Conservative principles and goals.

"Upon further review", it soon became apparent that in the Republican Party there were RINO's and then there were rino's and the Conservatives were not represented at all.

Enter the TEA Party. This general group is comprised of people like me that have determined that Party ID means nothing. (Sorry, RDean.) Both parties are peopled by mindless sycophants that strive to get re-elected and percieve and treat the rank and file of the American people as stuff to be flushed.

In the past we have teated political parties like our teams and rooted for them to win. When either party wins, though, we lose.

Politicians decieve us to make us believe that they are supporting our interests. They don't. Office holders do one thing and one thing only. They spend our money. That's it. Period.

They need to spend less of it and do a better job with it. That is the only measure of success. They don't produce justice. They don't level the playing field. They don't create a better future. They spend our money.

All office holders have two basic responsibilities as far as I can see:

1. Reduce spending.
    2. Get the Hell out of the way.

If they could do these two things, the country would be just fine.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    The conservatives (and their liberal and libertarian counterparts) who insist on ideological purity seem to be the same ones who must run in a herd and deny the credibility of all sources that aren't part of their respective echo chambers. They're the same ones who occasionally post that they can't be friends with or even on good terms with family members who disagree with them politically. Honestly? I think independent thought just scares the hell out of them, they don't understand it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,637
    Crist left the party. And, he took da money too.

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Really? How about Zel Miller and Lieberman? I mean 4 years after running as the parties Vice President on the National Ticket the party kicked Lieberman to the curb.

10. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I know ... like I said ... I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevalent as is on the right.