What's with some on the right and purity?

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
I have observed that there are those on the right who are often measuring one another based on some idea of what a "real" conservative is ... the term RINO is given to Republicans who don't toe the party line enough.

I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevelant as is on the right.

What gives?

It's part of a larger issue, I think. To some extent (and I'm not lumping ALL Conservatives in here) - a prevalent mindset of Conservatives is to be a part of a victimized, overwhelmed but true minority, who will, in the end, be victorous over the evil massive left wing conspiracy - because like in a movie, that is what should happen. The labeling of "RINO" to anyone who doesn't toe the ideological line makes the "true" Conservatives vindicated in their belief that the massive left-wing conspiracy is everywhere.

It's part of a larger issue, I think. To some extent (and I'm not lumping ALL Conservatives in here) - a prevalent mindset of Conservatives is to be a part of a victimized, overwhelmed but true minority, who will, in the end, be victorous over the evil massive left wing conspiracy - because like in a movie, that is what should happen. The labeling of "RINO" to anyone who doesn't toe the ideological line makes the "true" Conservatives vindicated in their belief that the massive left-wing conspiracy is everywhere.

I've seen my fair share of lefties who buy the evil right wing conspiracy and that they're noble victims etc. etc.

Which group has more? I'm not sure.

I've seen my fair share of lefties who buy the evil right wing conspiracy and that they're noble victims etc. etc.

Which group has more? I'm not sure.

At the moment? With (the tail end of) a all-Democrat controlled government? Without question, the right.

When Bush was president, it was the other way around.

I have observed that there are those on the right who are often measuring one another based on some idea of what a "real" conservative is ... the term RINO is given to Republicans who don't toe the party line enough.

I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevelant as is on the right.

What gives?

When I first heard the term, "RINO", my immediate impression was that there were RINO's and then there were Republicans who actually were Republicans with Conservative principles and goals.

"Upon further review", it soon became apparent that in the Republican Party there were RINO's and then there were rino's and the Conservatives were not represented at all.

Enter the TEA Party. This general group is comprised of people like me that have determined that Party ID means nothing. (Sorry, RDean.) Both parties are peopled by mindless sycophants that strive to get re-elected and percieve and treat the rank and file of the American people as stuff to be flushed.

In the past we have teated political parties like our teams and rooted for them to win. When either party wins, though, we lose.

Politicians decieve us to make us believe that they are supporting our interests. They don't. Office holders do one thing and one thing only. They spend our money. That's it. Period.

They need to spend less of it and do a better job with it. That is the only measure of success. They don't produce justice. They don't level the playing field. They don't create a better future. They spend our money.

All office holders have two basic responsibilities as far as I can see:

1. Reduce spending.
2. Get the Hell out of the way.

If they could do these two things, the country would be just fine.

The conservatives (and their liberal and libertarian counterparts) who insist on ideological purity seem to be the same ones who must run in a herd and deny the credibility of all sources that aren't part of their respective echo chambers. They're the same ones who occasionally post that they can't be friends with or even on good terms with family members who disagree with them politically. Honestly? I think independent thought just scares the hell out of them, they don't understand it.

Last edited:

What gives?

Crist left the party. And, he took da money too.

What gives?

Really? How about Zel Miller and Lieberman? I mean 4 years after running as the parties Vice President on the National Ticket the party kicked Lieberman to the curb.

What gives?

Really? How about Zel Miller and Lieberman? I mean 4 years after running as the parties Vice President on the National Ticket the party kicked Lieberman to the curb.

I know ... like I said ... I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevalent as is on the right.

We dont like corruption as we've been screwed by it for the last century.

Not really sure why you would want corruption.

Do you really want politicians ignoring their restrains placed on them by the Constitution? Do you want politicians supporting themselves, their friends, and their supporters on the tax payers dole? do you like them spending money we dont have for programs we dont need?

What gives?

Crist left the party. And, he took da money too.

I think I am supposed to laugh?

Do you really want politicians ignoring their restrains placed on them by the Constitution? Do you want politicians supporting themselves, their friends, and their supporters on the tax payers dole? do you like them spending money we dont have for programs we dont need?

So supporting something like the repealing of DADT is corruption?

Or voting pro-choice?

Or voting for a tax increase?

Things of that nature?

So supporting something like the repealing of DADT is corruption?

Or voting pro-choice?

Or voting for a tax increase?

Things of that nature?

No. Voting for things like that make you a RINO. I think...it is so hard to keep up with "the base" anymore....:confused:

What gives?

maybe its just expressed in different ways.

for instance this last election; anyone with any political acumen at all saw the writing on the wall and knew that all those 'blue dogs' rahm worked hard to front and get elected in 06 were gonna get put in the front lines as cannon fodder to take the hill called Obama care...and they did as many thought go down as the cannon fodder they were.
The old guard in those liberal districts had no care or risk at all from as they are from very safe districts who hold all of the committee chairs, and were safe and they knew it.

Maybe reps. just want to end up with whom they started and enact leg. without having to shove everyone in front of the cannon in a political bloodletting.

What gives?

I know ... like I said ... I'm sure this exists on some level with the left but it isn't nearly as prevalent as is on the right.

The only reason you don't see it as equally prevalent on the left is that you agree with them. You overlook the flaws of your side and blow those of your opposition out of proportion.

The only reason you don't see it as equally prevalent on the left is that you agree with them. You overlook the flaws of your side and blow those of your opposition out of proportion.

Wow....Cali-G must have gotten a mind reading machine for Christmas....:cuckoo:

No. I just enjoy pointing out the fucking obvious to the terminally stupid. It's not my problem if both sides are incapable of seeing reality.

What gives?

maybe its just expressed in different ways.

for instance this last election; anyone with any political acumen at all saw the writing on the wall and knew that all those 'blue dogs' rahm worked hard to front and get elected in 06 were gonna get put in the front lines as cannon fodder to take the hill called Obama care...and they did as many thought go down as the cannon fodder they were.
The old guard in those liberal districts had no care or risk at all from as they are from very safe districts who hold all of the committee chairs, and were safe and they knew it.

Maybe reps. just want to end up with whom they started and enact leg. without having to shove everyone in front of the cannon in a political bloodletting.

Interesting way to look at it. The last two years were certainly about spending political capital, not gaining it. No doubt the Dem leadership willingly sacrificed those seats but I don't see the Dem losses as an ideological purge. However, I do recall some frustration with a few Senate Democrats coming from the left.

Last edited:

No. I just enjoy pointing out the fucking obvious to the terminally stupid. It's not my problem if both sides are incapable of seeing reality.

Apparently, you, the terminally stupid, are the only one who enjoys you pointing out anything.

Forum List

Back