What's With Judges?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
NYC Judge rules that police can't 'check' bulky blankets or backpacks w/o cause at Republican Convention.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/213954p-184246c.html

Excerpt:

NYPD cops blasted a federal judge's ruling aimed at stopping them from searching demonstrators' bags outside the Republican National Convention, saying the decision gives "an open door to terrorists."
Manhattan Federal Judge Robert Sweet's decision - made public yesterday - prohibits blanket searches of bulky bags and backpacks in the absence of a "specific threat."

"In this day and age of terrorism, it's an extremely dangerous step in a very dangerous time in New York City," said an outraged Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association.

"It's giving an open door to terrorists, and further handcuffing police at a time that they should be given a little bit more latitude," Palladino said. He said he plans to urge Mayor Bloomberg to appeal the ruling.

Sweet's decision also limits how many streets the NYPD can close around Madison Square Garden, and prohibits cops from penning protesters behind metal barricades.

I would imagine that it has something to do with those pesky rights we have as americans. That bill of rights sure does get in the way.

DKSuddeth said:
I would imagine that it has something to do with those pesky rights we have as americans. That bill of rights sure does get in the way.

DK, normally I agree with you, but it's obvious that the conventions are targets. No one is saying they shouldn't be able to protest, but I can't go to traffic court w/o having my purse checked and pockets emptied.

Boston isn't playing it this way...

Another example of the battle between personal rights and the right to be alive. I suspect this will ebb and flow with the election crowds and a possible terrorist attack. I'm not sure if any one is even looking for a resolution to this dilemma.

dilloduck said:
Another example of the battle between personal rights and the right to be alive. I suspect this will ebb and flow with the election crowds and a possible terrorist attack. I'm not sure if any one is even looking for a resolution to this dilemma.

Agreed. It's the inherent/apparent danger of our system. Going to be interesting to see when it does get addressed, but won't be for the conventions, unless there is an attack here.

That judge is a pinhead. In Arkansas, police can stop any suspicious character they wish, and if they refuse to submit to a search, it's considered enough probable cause to get a drug or bomb dog out there. I wouldn't feel safe with these kinds of decisions being made. If that was law in Atlanta, Hartfield airport would still be heavily damaged, as they caught a guy at the gate about a year and a half ago with enough ferlitizer explosive to blow a whole terminal. People have a right to peacefully assemble, but they need to be kept peaceful somehow.

They need to move the damn Convention to another state. New York just won't get all the money that the convention will bring in from visitors from other states.
IMO, safety comes before the right not to have your damn backpack searched! Why would anyone be upset that their backpacks are searched if they have nothing to hide. This is just rediculous!

I've aleady seen video of the protestors beating the hell outta each other---maybe they will get it out of thier systems ??

It won't matter an ounce whether they check the bags or not. It wouldn't take a person on the floor of Madison Square Garden...there are too many ways to get near it- over, under, around, etc. There are restaurants, hotels, bars, trains, stores, etc. all there. If they want, they'll damage.

We are not safe. We will never be so long as we're free. It's a trade off...I'd still rather be free then dead than never free.

Of course I also think it's my right as a citizen to carry a firearm and take as many of them out with me....

Moi said:
It won't matter an ounce whether they check the bags or not. It wouldn't take a person on the floor of Madison Square Garden...there are too many ways to get near it- over, under, around, etc. There are restaurants, hotels, bars, trains, stores, etc. all there. If they want, they'll damage.

We are not safe. We will never be so long as we're free. It's a trade off...I'd still rather be free then dead than never free.

Of course I also think it's my right as a citizen to carry a firearm and take as many of them out with me....

I hear you Moi, this is where you, Dillo, DK and I tend to agree. At the same time there are heightened alerts, seems foolhardy that they can pass for somthing like this when they couldn't going into to a traffic or divorce proceeding.

It's a game of numbers, priorities and politics. Only certain people(that we know of) are privy to intel so I guess the feds set the priorities on what they have. Someone assumes (rightly or not) that large crowds are a target so they require higher numbers of security. If certain areas are shown to be vulnerable, the press will jump all over it and criticize the administration for the weakness (after they show the terrorists exactly what to do to hurt us). It's a no win but some pretense of security may enable somebody to get lucky and stop something. (I got my guns ready too if it comes to that.)

Forum List

Back