What's with all the recent Bear attacks??!!

Timothy Treadwell found that out the hard way.

Timothy Treadwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link:
A video camera was recovered at the site which proved to have been operating during the attack. However, according to Alaska State Trooper spokesman Greg Wilkinson, no images were found on the tape.

This fact led troopers to believe the attack might have happened while the camera was stuffed in a duffel bag or during the dark of night. The camera had been turned on just before the attack, presumably by Huguenard, but the camera recorded only six minutes of audio before running out of tape.

This, however, was enough time to record the bear's initial attack on Treadwell, its retreat when Huguenard attacked it, its return to carry Treadwell off into the forest, and Huguenard's screams of horror as she is left alone.​

That passage chilled me to the bone.
Scared.gif

Yeah.

I'm glad they never played it.

The guy was a loon as well. While his heart was in the right place..you have to respect the reality of the situation.

I am not trying to make light of this at all for it is a very sad tragedy indeed, and my heart and prayers go out to those involved. I do want to point out though that these animals have done nothing that we didn't know they would do in the first place. Animals are territorial, and when we enter their grounds we shouldn't be surprised if they attack.

I live in the Ozark Mountains and up here if someone goes into the woods and gets attacked by a black bear(which is rare) than they go track and kill it. I don't think this is right. The same thing is done often in areas of shark attack.

If someone enters my home and are not welcomed or invited than I will probably attack too.

It also makes sense to carry repellent. It's very effective. Another poster here made that point. If you are going to go in the woods..especially if they are still pretty wild..it need to take precautions.

It also makes perfect sense to carry a gun.

I spend a month of my summer on my wife's parents' farm in the Appalachians, and both of us like to hike out into the woods. Very serene it is, too. But we don't let the beauty blind us to the fact that some potentially dangerous animals also live in the terrain we're passing through. And we prepare ourselves for that eventuality by both carrying handguns in an appropriate calibre. And on the occasions we have seen a bear, we treated it with respect by not looking at it directly or offering it food.

As much as this is a tragedy, I'm often struck by how ignorant some people can be to how dangerous an animal like a bear can be, and the strength they possess. As soon as the Polar bear was sighted, they should've been moving away from it at a rapid pace if they weren't realistically prepared/equipped to defend themselves against what is a dangerous land predator.

Handguns, unless they are very powerful..or you are a really good shot..are just going to piss them off more. Best thing I think would be a shotgun.

The repellent overwhelms their senses and breaks the rage.

Handguns, unless they are very powerful..or you are a really good shot..are just going to piss them off more. Best thing I think would be a shotgun.

The repellent overwhelms their senses and breaks the rage.

Totally agree.

I live in bear country. When I'm out in the woods I like to take this single shot New England Arms Pardner 12 gauge, 3", (formerly) modified choke:

IMAG0003.jpg

Cutting the barrel down from 26" to 18.5" removed the modified choke, converting it to a cylinder bore perfect for rifled slugs.

Coupled with a Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 12 ga, 1 3/8 oz rifled slugs, you have exactly what you need.

In rifle terms, that's a 73 caliber 600 grain bullet.

Yes, it's only really accurate at under 30 yards and it kicks like two mules, but it's cheap, light, compact, safe (single action), easy to clean and it will take down a bear in an emergency.

Forum List

Back