What's up with Tennis Shoes these days? Super low quality

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
So about 2 months ago I bought what I thought was a reasonably (not top quality, but reasonably good) pair of running / jogging shoes by Avia.

I paid about $40 for them on sale.

I used them about 20 times and the friggin rubber soles have completely separated from the shoe part.

It's not just these, Reeboks and just about every pair I buy does this.

Am I just THAT hard on running shoes or is everyone having these issues?

I CLEARLY remember when I was younger I would have tennis shoes literally for YEARS and was MUCH harder on them. Man, I'm telling ya I kept them until there were either holes worn clean through the soles (after years of wear), of they'd get so lopsided from wear that they were too uncomfortable, or they wreaked so bad that the house would have to be evacuated if they were brought inside.

Today, if I get two months I'm lucky. What's the world coming to? They damn well know how to make them better. Is this how Fn greedy the entire global corporate community is that they make everything so it costs a bundle but barely lasts? Or is it a matter of everything being made cheap cheap cheap in China for pennies that the corporations then turn around and sell for top dollar as if there's actually some value and quality there (NOT!!!!)

People are suckers.....they can only get away with what people accept and vote for with their wallets.

Anyway, I ended up using contact cement to put the damn rubber soles back on. Did a quick 3 miles tonight and the soles are still on so so far so good but....really...should we have to do that after just two months and only about 20 uses?

How much do I have to spend to get GOOD quality running shoes? $300.00 ??

I've been running long distance for nearly 20 years. For the last 10 years I've used Brooks and they hold up well. The fabric uppers tend to tear especially if you run any trail but the soles are always good. They run around 100 bucks I really like the Ghost 9.

Shoe Goo. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00135M0MM/?tag=ff0d01-20

It's flexible.

E6000 isn't bad either.

I do vote with my wallet. American made Double H Boots and Missouri made RedWing Boots. They do last for years...but unfortunately you're going to pay 3 to 4 times as much as you paid for those tennies, and only run in them if a crane is collapsing or you're being chased by a bear.

Sorry, can't help with the sneakers.

So about 2 months ago I bought what I thought was a reasonably (not top quality, but reasonably good) pair of running / jogging shoes by Avia.

I paid about $40 for them on sale.

I used them about 20 times and the friggin rubber soles have completely separated from the shoe part.

It's not just these, Reeboks and just about every pair I buy does this.

Am I just THAT hard on running shoes or is everyone having these issues?

I CLEARLY remember when I was younger I would have tennis shoes literally for YEARS and was MUCH harder on them. Man, I'm telling ya I kept them until there were either holes worn clean through the soles (after years of wear), of they'd get so lopsided from wear that they were too uncomfortable, or they wreaked so bad that the house would have to be evacuated if they were brought inside.

Today, if I get two months I'm lucky. What's the world coming to? They damn well know how to make them better. Is this how Fn greedy the entire global corporate community is that they make everything so it costs a bundle but barely lasts? Or is it a matter of everything being made cheap cheap cheap in China for pennies that the corporations then turn around and sell for top dollar as if there's actually some value and quality there (NOT!!!!)

People are suckers.....they can only get away with what people accept and vote for with their wallets.

Anyway, I ended up using contact cement to put the damn rubber soles back on. Did a quick 3 miles tonight and the soles are still on so so far so good but....really...should we have to do that after just two months and only about 20 uses?

How much do I have to spend to get GOOD quality running shoes? $300.00 ??

Shoes have become another rip off. I still have a pair of Nike leather top running shoes from the 1970s. It all comes back to designed obsolescence taken to the extreme: they put minimal material into the shoes now, apply so-called "high-tech" gimmicks to the looks, then jack up the price 500%. Big business.

Forum List

Back