What's Up with Limewire?

Muad'hib

Economist
Nov 11, 2010
Did anyone get a error message thrown saying that Limewire is under investigation when they tried to use it?

Actually, Limewire is finally being shut down. They have a court order to shut down within the next 6 months.

If it's on Valleywag, we know it must be TWOO.

Software company LimeWire shut down its file sharing services on the order of a federal judge after being found liable for "a substantial amount of copyright infringement" in case brought against the company by the RIAA. RIP, peer-to-peer.

On Tuesday, Judge Kimba Wood ordered LimeWire to stop "searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, especially those MP3s that are tagged as being by "'Weird' Al Yankovic" but are by someone else entirely." (Kidding about that last bit! Though, that's what I'd have ordered.) The case was four years old, and an order like this seemed likely after Judge Wood ruled in May that LimeWire was aware of the scope of copyright infringement on its site. And with that, LimeWire joins Napster and Grokster on the Big Tenth-Grader's Computer in the Sky.

LimeWire Shuts Down File Sharing

My experience with it was it was mostly a way to infect your machine with every malicious bit of malware out there at a given time.

Fortunately I had a powerpc mac at the time I visited, so I didn't get hit.

The selection of stuff wasn't worth the time of the visit. The selection was beyond lame. And the amount of malware that tried to sneak in was scary, even though my machine couldn't run any of it.

Forum List

Back