What's To Blame For The Rise In ADHD?

janeeng said:
Welcome deaddude, don't recall seing you on here - I will agree with that, there are a lot of kids out there that are just getting too much sugar. I have to say this with my own son. I try to buy only juices now and limit the soda, but unless you get 100% juice with no sugar, even that isn't helping. They claim to cut out all things with artificial flavoring in it, that's kinda tough, considering so much has that. Another big thing that people don't understand is Ketchup, I saw the news one night where they had a big thing on it, tons of sugar and tends to make kids hyper. My Daughter loves ketchup on EVERYTHING, and she sure as hell has a lot of fuel in her.

Ketchup is actually one of the worst condiments you can eat.. 4 carbs per tablespoon, and they're all sugar carbs..(Tho, you can now buy Carb Options, which has 1 carb (Splenda), and still tastes exactly like regular..)

Fruit juice still has a lot of sugar, even if it's 100% "natural" - it's better to feed them the actual fruit

Both my niece and nephew were diagnosed with ADHD - turns out *they* only needed solid parenting, less sugar, and more stimulating activities. The doctors had these children on medication for months at the request of their (bitch) mother who said they were "uncontrollable" (get your fat ass up off the damn couch and DO something with them for crissakes).

When these kids stay at my house, they don't get their morning pill with breakfast - they get a *decent* breakfast, and then they don't get dumped in front of the TV, or a toy box - they learn something new. I've also talked my brother out of medicating them, since they live with him now, rather than their (bitch) mother.

I agree with whoever said that most are using it as a catch-all for lack of parenting.. Out of 4 people that I know of taking medication/being treated for it, TWO of them were misdiagnosed, and they were children. That's not to say there are no legitimate cases - the two legitimate cases I know of are a 28 year old adult, and a 60 year old adult (one of which I spent 7 years working for)...

Shattered said:
That's not to say there are no legitimate cases - the two legitimate cases I know of are a 28 year old adult, and a 60 year old adult (one of which I spent 7 years working for)...

That's so funny, the only legitimate cases I have seen are in one child (who has severe developmental delays that go much further than ADHD) and in a 28 yr who has more recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

The ability to concentrate is something a child has to develop as their brain develops, there are lots of tools out there to help with this in regular circumstances.

The ability to concentrate is something a child has to develop as their brain develops, there are lots of tools out there to help with this in regular circumstances.

Absolutely 100% true.. BUT, the most effective tool (and first tool) in the world are parents that give a shit, and aren't too self-centered and/or lazy to take part in developing said brain. Something these kids were lacking, until recently..

Shattered said:
Absolutely 100% true.. BUT, the most effective tool (and first tool) in the world are parents that give a shit, and aren't too self-centered and/or lazy to take part in developing said brain. Something these kids were lacking, until recently..

WHich is the case with the first child I mentioned. This women waited until her child was 5 before she did anything. She ignored me, the person who spent 9 hours a day with her child, and waited until she started school so she could have her child test for free. This child is so far behind now, I don't think she's will be passed on to grade one, and there is still nothing being done to help her. This makes me so mad I could scream. I have another one, 5 yrs old, can't talk, barely understands normal instructions and his mother is just now bringing him for speach and language therapy once a month!! His speach is so bad, his teacher asked me if I thought he had hearing problems! Poor kid, breaks my heart, it really does.

Said1 said:
WHich is the case with the first child I mentioned. This women waited until her child was 5 before she did anything. She ignored me, the person who spent 9 hours a day with her child, and waited until she started school so she could have her child test for free. This child is so far behind now, I don't think she's will be passed on to grade one, and there is still nothing being done to help her. This makes me so mad I could scream. I have another one, 5 yrs old, can't talk, barely understands normal instructions and his mother is just now bringing him for speach and language therapy once a month!! His speach is so bad, his teacher asked me if I thought he had hearing problems! Poor kid, breaks my heart, it really does.

Christ.. That sounds like someone else I know.. Her daughter is almost 4 years old, but has the literary skills of a 1.5 year old.. She was taking her for speech therapy once a week, and has now pulled her out, because she has to get up too early in the morning, and she's tired from work.. WTF!!! She works friggen 12 hours a week, and she's too damn tired? People like that should face abuse charges.. Lack of proper parenting is abusive. :(:(:(

Shattered said:
Christ.. That sounds like someone else I know.. Her daughter is almost 4 years old, but has the literary skills of a 1.5 year old.. She was taking her for speech therapy once a week, and has now pulled her out, because she has to get up too early in the morning, and she's tired from work.. WTF!!! She works friggen 12 hours a week, and she's too damn tired? People like that should face abuse charges.. Lack of proper parenting is abusive. :(:(:(

It's neglect, plain and simple. I had speech and language problems with my own child, that were related to hearing loss. I still feel guilty, as though I could have done more to help her. Speech and language does effect their emotional development, even if there is no evidence suggesting this to be the case, I've worked with lots of kids who have been seriously neglected, or plunked in from of a television for the first three years of their life, and they really pay the price for it when they start school. You would think that the fact that your child is not talking by age three, would be a clear indication to most people that there is something wrong with their child, it never fails to amaze me that most of the time it isn't!

Oh, sure.. Her response is "She just doesn't want to talk yet."

BULLSHIT!

Shattered said:

I could agree with a lot of this, but I am a Parent that happens to give a shit, and am not too self-centered or lazy to taking part of my childs brain development. I bust my ass daily, working morning, day and night. Yeah, I have my play time, like now, before going back out, and Son in school. I have spent time with Dr.'s and I have done counseling with my Son as well. Today, a meeting with the Child Study Team - this afternoon, Dr.'s appointment AGAIN! and counseling to come as well. I have gotten rid of one bad thing in my Son's life, that was his unattentive Father, so now it gets harder. A single Mother of 2, a Son that feels death is better than living, cries at night, doesn't sit in front of TV like people think, and a Mother who sits up wondering where to go next - YES, this Mother TRULY GIVES A SHIT!!! and am doing everything humanily possible now to better things in my Son's life.

janeeng said:
I could agree with a lot of this, but I am a Parent that happens to give a shit, and am not too self-centered or lazy to taking part of my childs brain development. I bust my ass daily, working morning, day and night. Yeah, I have my play time, like now, before going back out, and Son in school. I have spent time with Dr.'s and I have done counseling with my Son as well. Today, a meeting with the Child Study Team - this afternoon, Dr.'s appointment AGAIN! and counseling to come as well. I have gotten rid of one bad thing in my Son's life, that was his unattentive Father, so now it gets harder. A single Mother of 2, a Son that feels death is better than living, cries at night, doesn't sit in front of TV like people think, and a Mother who sits up wondering where to go next - YES, this Mother TRULY GIVES A SHIT!!! and am doing everything humanily possible now to better things in my Son's life.

janeeng....

Starting on page 2, You seem to be taking all this personally, CHILL girl.
I haven't seen anyone attack you. It's clear that you're addressing the situation
in your home. But many have opinions about this ADD/ADHD that fly in the face
of what is becoming the socially accepted norm (just drug em).
Don't take it so personal, until it is.

Mr. P said:
janeeng....

I haven't seen anyone attack you. It's clear that you're addressing the situation

Your right P and sorry for all that, but I too once believe that it was easy to blame a parent, a friend, a school etc... on everything that went wrong, until I truly have experienced it all now. It does hurt to see some replies on how a parent is too lazy or doesn't give a shit - yes, there are many out there, but it hits home reading that and I can't help but open my big mouth! A chillin I do need! Sorry!

Mr. P said:
janeeng....

I have even stated as much on the previous page, where I did make a comment addressed to you. I'm speaking about others I have worked with, not you personally. I have said in normal circumstances, there are things others can do to help their children aside from medicating them. I did not mean you directly.

janeeng said:

My post did not single any one person out, because each individual case is different.. I did reference people that I specifically know, and gave examples. I apologize if you felt I was referring to you, however, I don't know anything about you, your children, or your situation. I was speaking in general terms.

Shattered said:
My post did not single any one person out, because each individual case is different.. I did reference people that I specifically know, and gave examples. I apologize if you felt I was referring to you, however, I don't know anything about you, your children, or your situation. I was speaking in general terms.

You guys are all right, and I am sorry! Haven't felt the greatest lately and truly am struggling with all this right now. I feel at times I can't even breathe. You are all right, and I appologize for taking it too personally. Just a struggle I am having personally right now and sometimes hurts to hear some comments, yet some that are true.

janeeng said:
You guys are all right, and I am sorry! Haven't felt the greatest lately and truly am struggling with all this right now. I feel at times I can't even breathe. You are all right, and I appologize for taking it too personally. Just a struggle I am having personally right now and sometimes hurts to hear some comments, yet some that are true.

But you should remember that while comments like those are true in some (and even a lot) of cases, if you know in your heart they're not true in your case, then you shouldn't let them bother you.

Maybe hard to remember that all the time, but...

janeeng said:

I'm having a problem with this, Janeeng. I don't feel you need to explain or apologize to anybody. Taking it personally? Sure, when you are living it how else can you take it? Whether it's meant that way or not, it feels like an attack. When you're doing everything you humanly know possible and you're still facing issues daily, you feel you need to defend yourself & your mothering skills. Stop reading this thread. NO ONE knows unless they're in your shoes.

Your frustration is understandable janeeng. You have much to juggle at the moment.
I have no doubt you'll be successful as long as you can stay focused
and not allow the frustration to get to ya.

Joz said:
I'm having a problem with this, Janeeng. I don't feel you need to explain or apologize to anybody. Taking it personally? Sure, when you are living it how else can you take it? Whether it's meant that way or not, it feels like an attack. When you're doing everything you humanly know possible and you're still facing issues daily, you feel you need to defend yourself & your mothering skills. Stop reading this thread. NO ONE knows unless they're in your shoes.

I agree, stop reading this thread. No one is attacking Janeeng personally, but it's hard not to take it that way.

Forum List

Back